AFLW Richmond v Collingwood at Vic Park no less | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW Richmond v Collingwood at Vic Park no less

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I still maintain that we need to look not just at individual decisions but also compare decisions. Looking at the men's game tonight, a good example of this. One of the "insufficient intent to keep the ball in play" decisions (called deliberate by the silly commentators) looked a bit easy to me but I can't say until we see more decisions because all good if they pay it all the time, not good if they don't.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree that there should be consistency in areas, such as how long in possession constitutes prior opportunity for example, but in general I think decisions need to be either correct or not.

Often in local cricket people praise umpires who are tough on LBW appeals but the reality is those umpires make incorrect decisions that should be given out because an LBW decision is a series of yes/no questions. It can only be one or the other.

I see footy as the same, if it meets the criteria for an out of bounds free kick then pay it, if not then don't. Reduce the decisions to yes/no questions and consistency becomes assured.

I think that is what they are trying to do with holding the ball at the moment. What I would really like to see is interpretations set in stone for the whole season. I know there can be issues but this would give everyone more certainty: players, umpires, coaches and fans.

I thought that out of bounds was a bit harsh but if they keep being harsh then fine, everyone knows where they stand.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I still maintain that we need to look not just at individual decisions but also compare decisions. Looking at the men's game tonight, a good example of this. One of the "insufficient intent to keep the ball in play" decisions (called deliberate by the silly commentators) looked a bit easy to me but I can't say until we see more decisions because all good if they pay it all the time, not good if they don't.

DS

This is what we were saying all along. You can't compare decisions unless you actually look at the decisions :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user