AFLW Round 1 2022 - StKilda v Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW Round 1 2022 - StKilda v Richmond

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How did our draftees go?

Stella Reid a bit quiet but has a really nice kicking action. She will improve and I reckon I saw enough to see that she will be a good player.

Emelia Yassir - Liked her game. Was terrific in the 2nd half.

Kiely was very good too. 2 goals not more you can ask really.

It was fantastic for the game that the rain stopped at pretty much 7.05 and was beautiful weather for the whole game.

The other debutants were good as well, Poppy Kelly and Gabby Seymour will ne a great ruck combo, have a bit of a crush on Gabby too ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
It’s only a half of football in greasy conditions, but their skill level still looks way way off that compared to the top 5 or 6 teams.

They still crack in, but on pure talent and athleticism they are still a long long way off it compared to many of the others.

Still 3 or 4 players that are not up to the level getting games. Still lack the necessary depth

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I hope for Dal Santo's sake he didn't give up his day job..................nah **** him.:)

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Emelia Yassir looks a ripper.

quick, tough, smart
Yassir looks great. Her junior highlights pckage was better than any other draftee. I can only assume she needs to get more off it.

Was Molan injured or not good enough?

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
I still think Ellie McKenzie will be our best player, hoping her calf issue gets sorted asap

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Wow. Phenomenal improvement in skills and ball movement. We have gone from an under 10s team to AFLW standard.

Conti is so balanced and has amazing vision.

Wakefield an amazing mark of the footy.

Yassir struggled with the pace of the game for most of the game but showed some glimpses of special attributes. Her backing into the pack was also impressive.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Wow. Phenomenal improvement in skills and ball movement. We have gone from an under 10s team to AFLW standard.

Conti is so balanced and has amazing vision.

Wakefield an amazing mark of the footy.

Yassir struggled with the pace of the game for most of the game but showed some glimpses of special attributes. Her backing into the pack was also impressive.
it was a tough move. No hesitation to go back.
Just as impressive was her foot skills in that last quarter. Its great to see how we've drafted

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The Seymour/Kelly ruck combo is a winner. Kelly’s tap work is all class.
Conti is to the women’s team what Martin is to the men’s. Clear BOG.

Sarah Darcy played well. Courtney Wakefield another great game. Both Hoskings hard at it. Backline did well against some solid forwards. Much more pace without Molan and Frederick.

There was a lot to like about that performance. Still some cobwebs to blow out, but for a first hit out that was good.
So fast since we've moved on from Molan and Sab. We look like a much better team with the run and youthful approach. Terrific to see

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well, that was a damned good start to the season.

AFLW skill levels have improved a lot and hopefully we are catching up, I reckon next week will really tell us how much ground we have made up.

The skills of Richmond players has gone up a few notches, contested marks taken, better passing but still needs work, you expect the players to mark a pass rather than it being a bit of a lottery. Good signs.

Plus, far better team work. Players looking for options when under pressure, other players available to receive when needed, setting up better both forward and back. There is a fair bit to work on but you can see things working a lot better and a lot more cohesion in the way they are playing. Also the speed and the endurance of our players was miles ahead of StKilda, we were often able to run off opponents and had options when in trouble. Occasionally they tried to do too much and got caught but that's fine because it shows that they want value out of their disposals and don't want to turn it over.

I tend to watch how teams are playing rather than individual players, so I don't notice the individuals much, but you can't miss Conti, geez what a player, constantly gets the ball and then tries to get around opponents . . . and succeeds - very fast and elusive. Wakefield impressive up forward.

Real test next week, who knows if we can match Melbourne but that was a great performance.

On a side note, in 47 years of going to the footy in Victoria, and can barely remember how many games I saw in Perth when very young, this is the first time I have ever driven to the footy. Not sure I'll be doing it again. Frankston was fine to drive to and found a parking spot close enough, plus public transport would have been tram then train for me so time consuming and a pain, but just about any other ground (except maybe Moorabbin) it just makes far more sense to jump on the train. Felt weird to drive to the footy!

DS

Reactions: 5 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

AFLW skill levels have improved a lot and hopefully we are catching up, I reckon next week will really tell us how much ground we have made up.

The skills of Richmond players has gone up a few notches, contested marks taken, better passing but still needs work, you expect the players to mark a pass rather than it being a bit of a lottery. Good signs.

Plus, far better team work. Players looking for options when under pressure, other players available to receive when needed, setting up better both forward and back. There is a fair bit to work on but you can see things working a lot better and a lot more cohesion in the way they are playing. Also the speed and the endurance of our players was miles ahead of StKilda, we were often able to run off opponents and had options when in trouble. Occasionally they tried to do too much and got caught but that's fine because it shows that they want value out of their disposals and don't want to turn it over.

I tend to watch how teams are playing rather than individual players, so I don't notice the individuals much, but you can't miss Conti, geez what a player, constantly gets the ball and then tries to get around opponents . . . and succeeds - very fast and elusive. Wakefield impressive up forward.

Real test next week, who knows if we can match Melbourne but that was a great performance.

On a side note, in 47 years of going to the footy in Victoria, and can barely remember how many games I saw in Perth when very young, this is the first time I have ever driven to the footy. Not sure I'll be doing it again. Frankston was fine to drive to and found a parking spot close enough, plus public transport would have been tram then train for me so time consuming and a pain, but just about any other ground (except maybe Moorabbin) it just makes far more sense to jump on the train. Felt weird to drive to the footy!

DS
You need to go to a country footy game where you park your car around the game. On a wet cold day it’s great to be able to watch from the comfort of your car.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
great work by the team. warmed into the game nicely for a convincing win. and with 7 new faces. Go Tiges.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Conti is as pure a footballer as any you’ll see. Broderick and Knights like.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
One thing I noticed was Saints still had a few of the old school female players- aggressive but big and slow. These types are dinosaurs and ultimately add no value to a team.
If we can get back Ellie Mc I think a finals spot is looking good.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
One thing I noticed was Saints still had a few of the old school female players- aggressive but big and slow. These types are dinosaurs and ultimately add no value to a team.
If we can get back Ellie Mc I think a finals spot is looking good.
I'm talking September already too

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004

DS
You’re right Dave, big test next week against Melbourne. We will see how we go against an outfit that is polished. If we fix up some of the simple marking errors and play with that same endeavour we will go close.