AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Wonder what the next " duty of care " lawsuit will be in the pipeline for Jess n his associates after they've finished dealing with the mega millions concussion claims they're chasing at the moment?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Panthera Tigris said:
I think that is a well balanced post that i agree with. However the point about anatomy being different. Don't expect it to be widely acknowledged

It's being widely acknowledged. Whether some choose to ignore the evidence or use it for some sort of misogyny argument is up to them but there have already been 4 ACLs up to the commencement of Round 2 in AFLW. It is a very serious concern.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
tigerlove said:
It's being widely acknowledged. Whether some choose to ignore the evidence or use it for some sort of misogyny argument is up to them but there have already been 4 ACLs up to the commencement of Round 2 in AFLW. It is a very serious concern.

There are articles in the paper about it today. The pattern must be of genuine concern.

TigerMasochist said:
Wonder what the next " duty of care " lawsuit will be in the pipeline for Jess n his associates after they've finished dealing with the mega millions concussion claims they're chasing at the moment?

Reckon it's almost negligent if they don't acknowledge the injury statistics.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The Big Richo said:
There's no real evidence to suggest anything physiological between men and women. Women's numbers are skewed by netball, which is a horrible sport for knees.

From a Orthopaedics Surgeon study in the US in 2013:

Girls and women in sports have a two to nine times greater risk of non-contact ACL injuries than males, or an average of 3.5 times greater risk, according to the National Center of Biotechnology Information.
In soccer and basketball, ACL injuries are approximately three times higher in female athletes than males, according to a 2013 study in the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. It cited an analysis which found a female to male injury ratio of 2.67 in soccer, 3.5 in basketball and 4.05 in wrestling.

The numbers are not skewed by netball, all the AFLW figures are doing is following what has been known for a decade based on other sports. There was a study in 1996 for basketball and soccer that came up with the same thing. Obviously with women's footy now being so highly advertised it is focusing on these incidences. I have to admit I had no idea before recently that ACL (and other) injury incidences are so skewed between professional men and women. If physiological differences aren't playing a part, what is?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigerlove said:
Report also says this:

Shoulder injuries (3.23 in both seasons per 1000 player hours) and elbow/wrist and hand injuries (up from zero in 2017 to 3.23 in 2018 per 1000 hours) also featured in the data.

So looking at all that data, last year 3.23 shoulder injuries + 3.2 elbow/wrist injuries + 6.47 ACLs + 3.2 concussions = 16.1 injuries per 1000 hours of footy played - doesn't take into account other types of injuries. 36 players on a field at any one time, I think they play 15 minute quarters, that's 1 hour x 36 players = 36 hours. Every 1 game of footy (36 hours) of footy there's well over half a serious injury per game (36 / 1000 * 16.1), so in effect more than one serious injury every two games. An ACL injury occurred on average, in 2018, once every 4 games of footy. Unbelievably high.

I put it partly down to women not knowing how to protect themselves in the contest and having poor AFL peripheral vision atm. Remember many have come from other sports to play. The other part is anatomy. Things can be done to improve both areas to make players less susceptible to injury but right now it really is way to high. If that level of injury was experienced at AFL level there'd be a royal commission.

Isn't this what I said last year about Varcoe's sister and got whacked by some??

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The Big Richo said:
ACL injuries are also on a decline in AFL players which makes the comparison a bit skewed.

Where did you get this information from? Here's the average number of ACL injuries per club per season from 2006 to 2017:

2006 - 0.9
2007 - 0.6
2008 - 0.9
2009 - 0.7
2010 - 0.6
2011 - 0.9
2012 - 0.8
2013 - 1.0
2014 - 0.7
2015 - 0.7
2016 - 0.8
2017 - 0.6

Not sure if 2018 has been released but there doesn't seem to be any significant change in the number of ACL injuries according to this report that the AFL has updated every year since 2006.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
TigerForce said:
Isn't this what I said last year about Varcoe's sister and got whacked by some??

It's pretty clear when watching AFLW games that this is the case. Obviously it's a generalisation but it stands out like dogs balls how many players with the ball just don't peripherally see whatsoever an opponent coming at them. If you don't brace for the potential impact or act to lessen the impact you are more likely to get hurt.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigerlove said:
It's pretty clear when watching AFLW games that this is the case. Obviously it's a generalisation but it stands out like dogs balls how many players with the ball just don't peripherally see whatsoever an opponent coming at them. If you don't brace for the potential impact or act to lessen the impact you are more likely to get hurt.

Yep. Clear as daylight, and the same for any kids wanting to start playing the game.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
tigerlove said:

This reminded me of a section in the 'infamous' book 'Men are from Mars - Women are from Venus':

Women look at the male body as much as men, but their field of vision is much wider and the fact that they have more cones in the retina than men allows women to perceive colors more accurately. In some case, the peripheral vision of some women can reach up to 180 °. Men have a more tunneled view, so a narrower but longer range (like binocular). It’s therefore easier to catch them when they stare at a woman. From here we can better understand why for the man he always hides everything to his woman !. The man, having a tunnel vision, in the fridge, for example, does not see the butter in front of him unless the word butter is clearly written in huge characters. This is because He simply locates the long-range objects betters. The male view is arranged for long distances.

Food for thought :rofl :rofl :rofl

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Bulldogs have a good team. I can't wait to see the Tigerettes in this comp next season.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Good to see the Chokers losing again. Feel sorry for the girls wearing those prison bar uniforms.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sir said:
This reminded me of a section in the 'infamous' book 'Men are from Mars - Women are from Venus':

Women look at the male body as much as men, but their field of vision is much wider and the fact that they have more cones in the retina than men allows women to perceive colors more accurately. In some case, the peripheral vision of some women can reach up to 180 °. Men have a more tunneled view, so a narrower but longer range (like binocular). It’s therefore easier to catch them when they stare at a woman. From here we can better understand why for the man he always hides everything to his woman !. The man, having a tunnel vision, in the fridge, for example, does not see the butter in front of him unless the word butter is clearly written in huge characters. This is because He simply locates the long-range objects betters. The male view is arranged for long distances.

Food for thought :rofl :rofl :rofl

Does your peripheral vision improve if you have an operation and change your birth certificate?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Does your peripheral vision improve if you have an operation and change your birth certificate?
Don't even need an operation to change your birth certificate and hence, obviously your peripheral vision. Simply subjectively feeling female is enough.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Watched the last quarter and a bit of dogs and cats? Last night. 7 obviously thinks this rates better than the final games in BBL including both Vic teams.

The biggest shortcoming of W is the lack of ability for the team in possession to string more than three possessions in a row together to advance the ball any meaningful distance. Yes there are a couple of nice grabs some good hits but it looks like a school U14 match from the 70s at the moment with scores to match.