AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

Dont Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 26, 2018
TigerForce said:
When Erin Phillips won the Charlotte Brownlow last night, the applause looked like it came from zombies. Awfully quiet and sombre atmosphere.
Being bitchy?

caesar

Tiger Champion
Feb 9, 2015
If future AFLW teams reach the standard that Adelaide played on Sunday it will be a half decent product.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2010
jb03 said:
Reckon she is overrated. Many of the original AFLW guns have been overtaken.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aflw-tigers-make-big-play-to-lure-katie-brennan-20190403-p51afx.html

Well look at Moana Hope as an example. How she came to be some sort of iconic marquee player to market the league off, I'll never know. Hardly got a kick at Collingwood. Moved to the North Melb expansion side with much fanfare. Couldn't get a kick there and has now been offloaded after one season.

I don't really follow women's footy, so don't know her full history. Was she starring in the Victorian Women's League for years prior to the AFLW being set up? If so, perhaps the AFLW was set up too late for her - once she was past her best. Because she seems to have been a massive flop.

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aflw-tigers-make-big-play-to-lure-katie-brennan-20190403-p51afx.html

Well look at Moana Hope as an example. How she came to be some sort of iconic marquee player to market the league off, I'll never know. Hardly got a kick at Collingwood. Moved to the North Melb expansion side with much fanfare. Couldn't get a kick there and has now been offloaded after one season.

I don't really follow women's footy, so don't know her full history. Was she starring in the Victorian Women's League for years prior to the AFLW being set up? If so, perhaps the AFLW was set up too late for her - once she was past her best. Because she seems to have been a massive flop.
Looks like Mo Hope is a no hope.

BrisTiger24

Chimp's Love of the Tiger
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Panthera Tigris said:

I think she starred at VFLW level but couldn't seem to replicate that at AFLW level. Bit of a Cellis clone on that front. In terms of being a marquee player for AFLW, in addition to her performance at VFLW level, she has the look of a marquee player (bit of a female Dusty with the tats etc)

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2010
BrisTiger24 said:
I think she starred at VFLW level but couldn't seem to replicate that at AFLW level. Bit of a Cellis clone on that front. In terms of being a marquee player for AFLW, in addition to her performance at VFLW level, she has the look of a marquee player (bit of a female Dusty with the tats etc)
Which is just strange, considering the AFLW in it's early stages was essentially just a rebadged, remarketed, more politicised VFLW. It wasn't equivalent to stepping up from a state league to the AFL in men's footy. That was my reasoning for suggesting, perhaps it was that the AFLW was set up a bit late for her. When she was past her best.

BrisTiger24

Chimp's Love of the Tiger
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Panthera Tigris said:
Which is just strange, considering the AFLW in it's early stages was essentially just a rebadged, remarketed, more politicised VFLW. It wasn't equivalent to stepping up from a state league to the AFL in men's footy. That was my reasoning for suggesting, perhaps it was that the AFLW was set up a bit late for her. When she was past her best.
Yeah, good point. Could be that she was past her best. Could be she struggled with the extra attention/publicity (TV broadcast etc) with AFLW

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
Yeah, good point. Could be that she was past her best. Could be she struggled with the extra attention/publicity (TV broadcast etc) with AFLW
Hope is simply too slow and cannot compete with the better athletes coming through in most facets of the game. Should never have been a marquee player and lends to why the Pies have not been great.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2010
jb03 said:
Hope is simply too slow and cannot compete with the better athletes coming through in most facets of the game. Should never have been a marquee player and lends to why the Pies have not been great.
Trying not to be too critical of her, but she also has the physique of an amateur sportswoman too. When she appeared on celebrity survivor, seeing her standing next to a genuinely elite athlete like Lydia Lasilla (who is retired, but still trains like an elite athlete), the contrast was huge. And I look at her next to some of the new breed of AFLW players too. Just a couple of seasons on, with the environment now starting to professionalise, and recruiting of genuine athletes getting better, they are now displaying the physiques of elite athletes, where as she doesn't seem to have progressed to this.

I coach TnF athletes and have seen plenty of people who are good state level and national level athletes. And yes they work and compete really hard, as I'm sure Moana does. But there is another step up again to those capable of competing as genuinely elite athletes and you can see the difference in physique between the two. Only a very small portion of people have the physical ability of achieving the latter.

Moana reminds me of a female version of looking at someone like Robbie McGhie. A decent league footballer in his time. But just wouldn't make it in the modern day of professionalism.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-27/robert-bones-mcghie-the-richmond-player-in-that-footy-photo/8956532

I'd be surprised to see her get a run at another club. Perhaps as a top up player, if they are finding there isn't a big enough talent pool to fill all of the expansion side's lists. But that will be about all.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hope is too slow on the lead and no good overhead. She made a name for herself as a Full Forward who kicked bags of goals against bottom sides in the VFLW but didn't against the Darebins/Melb Unis etc the game has passed her by at great speed.
By the way Katie Brennan is a great get if she comes to Richmond, with her and Frederick-Traub we'll be dangerous.

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2010
Tails said:
Hope is too slow on the lead and no good overhead. She made a name for herself as a Full Forward who kicked bags of goals against bottom sides in the VFLW but didn't against the Darebins/Melb Unis etc the game has passed her by at great speed.
By the way Katie Brennan is a great get if she comes to Richmond, with her and Frederick-Traub we'll be dangerous.
Obviously quite a different prospect, but I wonder whether Daisy Pearce will ever grace AFLW fields again. Unlike Hope, she genuinely held her own as one of the better players in the comp. But after sitting out one year to give her body a break and another due to pregnancy and birth. You just wonder with the progression of the game from it's poor standard of play in it's early stages, and the fact that she is several years older and now on the wrong side of 30, if she would also find that the game has now past her by.

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
I have paid up for my AFLW Richmond Foundation membership. Eat em Alive Tigers!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Mo Hope delisted by North. Can’t remember a more over hyped athlete.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bloody unfortunate for the club n the women's comp that games won't be played there. Definitely going to be a need for a couple of shared grounds with a ten to fifteen thou capacity in future years plus probably a thirty to thirty five thou boutique that could be shared for finals and a few small drawing men's games against interstate clubs.