AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Expansion sides get flogged, it always happens.

The club will methodically work it’s way through to success.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It'll take time for the girls to gel. I just laugh at some articles already criticising our girls team just for the sake of criticising the club itself. It's the norm in this league.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
It'll take time for the girls to gel. I just laugh at some articles already criticising our girls team just for the sake of criticising the club itself. It's the norm in this league.

..... or it reflects that the pool was always very shallow and by expanding we (shame!) fell for hype and agenda that smarter people would have spurned!

Shame on US!

Polish a *smile*, put lipstick on a pig - however you wish to skin it - stop embarrassing the RFC!!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon there is a system but the players are not yet able to implement it.

I saw a Richmond player, in the first quarter with the ball and under the pump in the back pocket - she handballs to no-one. Not her fault, there was no-one to handball to.

In the third quarter I saw far more situations where Richmond players had options and it was much better.

There are some good signs but there is a long way to go.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I think some questions need to be asked about our recruiting strategy.
I see plenty of effort from our girls but we seem too tall and slow around the park.
Coupled with slow ball movement and inability to hit targets, confidence is being crushed.
The template for a fast running side of agile players was right in front of them with the success of the men’s side.
Instead we have gone overboard on tall, slow and unco who can’t keep their feet.
It’s not like the talent wasn’t available because the other new sides have a better mix.
Even our #1 draft pick ain’t quick.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I reckon next Saturday's game against the Pussies at Bendigo will be our first win.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I reckon we’re carrying a few to many overweight girls and quite a few don’t have the running power. We look a few years behind some of the other sides.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think some questions need to be asked about our recruiting strategy.
I see plenty of effort from our girls but we seem too tall and slow around the park.
Coupled with slow ball movement and inability to hit targets, confidence is being crushed.
The template for a fast running side of agile players was right in front of them with the success of the men’s side.
Instead we have gone overboard on tall, slow and unco who can’t keep their feet.
It’s not like the talent wasn’t available because the other new sides have a better mix.
Even our #1 draft pick ain’t quick.

Yes, I worry about their confidence too. However, I was talking to a Collingwood supporter on the way to the game and he pointed out they won no games in their first year in the AFLW so hopefully we can improve too.

DS

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Too much of a gap between our best and worst players.

Will take another season or 2 to be competitive imo.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yes, I worry about their confidence too. However, I was talking to a Collingwood supporter on the way to the game and he pointed out they won no games in their first year in the AFLW so hopefully we can improve too.

DS

Hopefully this year they keep the all draft picks and bring in kids.
We will improve

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Will take about 8 years for the standard to be at a decent level. When the now 8 to 10 year old girls, that are being taught how to kick and handball properly, are drafted. Most of the teams now are made up of athletic girls who are from other sports or took the game up late.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I'd actually shorten the ground. Not kidding. 20m. Our side is unfit and doesn't have enough hard runners. The most prized players in AFLW will be those who can run hard and handle the pill well. Our side is too fumbly.
Shorten the ground and reduce the amount of players. Would increase scoring and open it up, hopefully resulting in less congestion.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I think it will be much sooner than that Harry. When you look at the standard of the teams that have been in for a few years the improvement has been rapid.

In 2 to 3 seasons I think the standard of the entire comp will have taken right off. It will also depend on the growth and revenue of the competition, once the women go professional then the standard will lift again.
I see ball handling being the major weakness in alot of the players currently which is why there is so much congested play and low scoring. Alot of fumbling and slow to handball away. This skill is developed from a young age. Sure it will improve with every year but it will take some time until it gains more than a passing interest from the general public.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Will take about 8 years for the standard to be at a decent level. When the now 8 to 10 year old girls, that are being taught how to kick and handball properly, are drafted. Most of the teams now are made up of athletic girls who are from other sports or took the game up late.
Yep. We're a bit like the Brisbane Bears when they started. Just a foreign legion of players from anywhere.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I see ball handling being the major weakness in alot of the players currently which is why there is so much congested play and low scoring. Alot of fumbling and slow to handball away. This skill is developed from a young age. Sure it will improve with every year but it will take some time until it gains more than a passing interest from the general public.

Yes fumbling all the time, and if they are serious what they need to do is the little kid stuff and carry a football around with then 24/7. Spin it toss it bounce it kick it and throw it out in front of themselves everywhere they go. Eat with it sleep with it.

Have to improve the first grab percentage. Get control of it and send it forward - preferably to a free team mate. There is no time to fumble and/or take your time to get control of the ball.