AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Where should Taylor, Donk, and most of the rest of the "big league" callers get sent? Mars preferably.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Just flicked over for a score, it would appear watching the Roos and Pies that there's no such thing as a jumper clash in AFLW :mad: ??? :mad: ???

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Watched a quarter and saw maybe 25 holding the ball decisions. Commentators believed they should be given more time, maybe 2 or 3 seconds more to allow them to make disposal decisions. Personally I thought most were the right call. Limited awareness.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Mr Brightside said:
Preliminary between Adelaide and Geelong, Cats haven’t scored at 3/4 time
The Cats had a huge last quester though Mr B - a goal and a behind!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
When Erin Phillips won the Charlotte Brownlow last night, the applause looked like it came from zombies. Awfully quiet and sombre atmosphere.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
TigerForce said:
When Erin Phillips won the Charlotte Brownlow last night, the applause looked like it came from zombies. Awfully quiet and sombre atmosphere.

Being bitchy?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
If future AFLW teams reach the standard that Adelaide played on Sunday it will be a half decent product.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
jb03 said:
Reckon she is overrated. Many of the original AFLW guns have been overtaken.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aflw-tigers-make-big-play-to-lure-katie-brennan-20190403-p51afx.html

Well look at Moana Hope as an example. How she came to be some sort of iconic marquee player to market the league off, I'll never know. Hardly got a kick at Collingwood. Moved to the North Melb expansion side with much fanfare. Couldn't get a kick there and has now been offloaded after one season.

I don't really follow women's footy, so don't know her full history. Was she starring in the Victorian Women's League for years prior to the AFLW being set up? If so, perhaps the AFLW was set up too late for her - once she was past her best. Because she seems to have been a massive flop.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aflw-tigers-make-big-play-to-lure-katie-brennan-20190403-p51afx.html

Well look at Moana Hope as an example. How she came to be some sort of iconic marquee player to market the league off, I'll never know. Hardly got a kick at Collingwood. Moved to the North Melb expansion side with much fanfare. Couldn't get a kick there and has now been offloaded after one season.

I don't really follow women's footy, so don't know her full history. Was she starring in the Victorian Women's League for years prior to the AFLW being set up? If so, perhaps the AFLW was set up too late for her - once she was past her best. Because she seems to have been a massive flop.

Looks like Mo Hope is a no hope.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Panthera Tigris said:

I think she starred at VFLW level but couldn't seem to replicate that at AFLW level. Bit of a Cellis clone on that front. In terms of being a marquee player for AFLW, in addition to her performance at VFLW level, she has the look of a marquee player (bit of a female Dusty with the tats etc)

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
BrisTiger24 said:
I think she starred at VFLW level but couldn't seem to replicate that at AFLW level. Bit of a Cellis clone on that front. In terms of being a marquee player for AFLW, in addition to her performance at VFLW level, she has the look of a marquee player (bit of a female Dusty with the tats etc)
Which is just strange, considering the AFLW in it's early stages was essentially just a rebadged, remarketed, more politicised VFLW. It wasn't equivalent to stepping up from a state league to the AFL in men's footy. That was my reasoning for suggesting, perhaps it was that the AFLW was set up a bit late for her. When she was past her best.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Panthera Tigris said:
Which is just strange, considering the AFLW in it's early stages was essentially just a rebadged, remarketed, more politicised VFLW. It wasn't equivalent to stepping up from a state league to the AFL in men's footy. That was my reasoning for suggesting, perhaps it was that the AFLW was set up a bit late for her. When she was past her best.

Yeah, good point. Could be that she was past her best. Could be she struggled with the extra attention/publicity (TV broadcast etc) with AFLW

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
Yeah, good point. Could be that she was past her best. Could be she struggled with the extra attention/publicity (TV broadcast etc) with AFLW

Hope is simply too slow and cannot compete with the better athletes coming through in most facets of the game. Should never have been a marquee player and lends to why the Pies have not been great.