AFLW Tigers v Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW Tigers v Cats

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I was there too, what a very frustrating game.

To give some context, I rate the Geelong AFLW side not at all. They really are not very good.

But the Geelong AFLW side just made us look second rate.

I know StKilda are even worse but that first game we didn't just beat StKilda, we looked to be playing to a system, we had players backing each other up, we were competitive at clearances and around the ground, we had skills.

Today it was woeful. They killed us in the middle. Around the ground we couldn't get any decent run, barely a clean possession, no outlets, and the skills have been getting worse. Delivery forward was non-existent, we just got gummed up further up the ground. Every time we got gummed up a running Geelong player would get the ball and clear.

I know we have injuries and not enough depth, but the players were struggling to take marks and cleanly pick up the ball. Credit to Geelong that they exerted pressure which we can't handle. But they ran rings around us and the players are clearly lacking confidence.

Something ain't right, all a bit depressing really :(

DS

Reactions: 2 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Last week this, somewhat injury depleted, group had a rare win. Yassir and Lavey bernadi?? must have been the limit.
We got it back to an arm wrestle in the second half. But all we could manage was to stop them scoring.

Last edited:

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
See what happens with the injuries yesterday..Our affiliate port Melbourne kicked 1 point vs Geelong.
Ellie McKenzie played injured apparently. That's her excuse. Why bother/risk playing her? She contributed little.... Next..
kayla Peterson..
What are the rules re: using players from Port Melbourne if we can't field a team.

Last edited:

TigerSteve

>30 Year member
May 11, 2009
Murrumbeena
Terrible game. Would have been nice to see a win at Punt Rd. However, apart from Conti and a couple others, most of the team looked lethargic and fumbly. McKenzie didn’t seem fit. You could see in the 1st 5 minutes that Geelong had more energy and were 1st to the ball. Perhaps coming back from Perth impacted, with our lack of depth.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I think if we were to play the Saints next week we would get a touch up. I've banged on about this before but abandoning or VFLW team was big mistake.

TigerSteve

>30 Year member
May 11, 2009
Murrumbeena
I think if we were to play the Saints next week we would get a touch up. I've banged on about this before but abandoning or VFLW team was big mistake.

Agree with that. If we are serious about AFLW, we would have a VFLW team too. I can’t support Port Melbourne.

Not sure how all the other Victorian teams can afford to keep their VFLW team, yet we can’t. The club has been brilliant over the last 5 or 6 years but could be a little more transparent about this issue.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I sure picked a great game to introduce Mrs Tooheys to AFLW. Honestly that was excruciating to watch.
Agree with that. If we are serious about AFLW, we would have a VFLW team too. I can’t support Port Melbourne.

Not sure how all the other Victorian teams can afford to keep their VFLW team, yet we can’t. The club has been brilliant over the last 5 or 6 years but could be a little more transparent about this issue.
More to the point maybe no clubs should have VFLW teams? The talent pool is not there at AFLW level.
The AFL has lost 73 million dollars over 2 years. Who's paying to run both competitions?

Last edited:

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021

. So that was Gale's take back then. I'm sure we could get a VFLW team back if desired. Port Melb look they've got a new young coach. Port are going crap but all our players are in the one VFLW. The Dogs are also going really poorly. So, call your team Richmond may not be any solution.

Last edited: