AFLX | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLX

Will it be any good?

• Yes

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Cheese Sandwich

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
graystar1 said:
Did you all notice the strapping on the leg of Jack R.??

Bit of concern to see such large strapping on his right leg.

However it did not seem to be restricting him in any way.

Imagine the worst scenario of no Jack and no Lynch to start the season.

A bit negative I know, but just saying.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Wonder if Jaaack will be struttin it n showing the rest of his mates his two time premiership medallion. Did he get all excited again n do a Mr Bright side rendition?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
tigertim said:
I was waiting for one of the interviewed players to say “yeah, we,re just taking it one week at a time”...
..... "and it was good to get the 4 points ..."

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
zippadeee said:
What’s skill? With No pressure most players missing basic shots at goal. The worse culprit Dylan Shelid. Shocking kick for goal.

Maybe you are right as Sheds never got a run.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
ToraToraTora said:
Almost everything I love about ARF missing. What is the point of this "spectacle"?
No one seems to know. It was a televised and charged for training session. Except there’s more passion shown at a training session.

Ruthless_Richmond

hunger to win
Feb 28, 2003
The Gong
Admit being cynical about the concept as a marketing exercise, and still am to some extent.

But the players seemed to be having fun, which is often overlooked in the AFL machine.
Add state of origin teams and as a preseason light hearted season launch it could be a winner.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Anyone who watched AFLX and expected to see AFL was always going to be disappointed/frustrated/annoyed, however when watched with an open mind as just a bit of fun it was very enjoyable. It is light hearted family entertainment and an easy way to ease back into the rigors of a full AFL season.

I thought it was great to see the players themselves having fun and embracing the concept. I will fully own my own 'inner biased supporter' and acknowledge the games I preferred the most all involved Tiger players. :cutelaugh

There is no right or wrong whatever you feel about AFLX and there doesn't have to be either - it's just there and it'll be interesting to see if it has the same format next season. Personally I enjoyed it, and judging by the response of the players involved, so did they.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Love to see a state of origin of this game.
Ted Whitten would give it the thumbs up

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
The problem with it becoming state of origin is that it will create more of a competitive element in the games.

Last night was really played match simulation style with no real tackling and limited contesting work. Not sure clubs would be as generous with their stars if it went up a cog or two.

Exactly. It worked as well as it did because the players were on a lark. It has a lot of evolving to do before it could be envisioned as a genuine sport.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
amc11 said:
I thought it was great to see the players themselves having fun and embracing the concept.

If the rumour is true that captains were paid $50k each for an evening's work I can understand them embracing the concept. As a once a year night thing it's fine for a bit of fun if it tickles your fancy. By crowd numbers and TV audience numbers it seems it didn't tickle the fancy of too many.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Took a few games for me to wrap my head around what i was watching. But seeing the players appear to be actually enjoying a bit of kick n giggle actually seemed to make it watchable....i reckon my young-un would appreciate watching if it rolls on next year.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
I believe the players received $5000 for playing so with the extra promotion, draft etc the Captain's attended that would be about right.
Yep. 50/5 was mentioned by players and journalists. Hence Paddy Cripps talking Jack into giving his minimum wage mate a bit of pocket money.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
A game of footy is already done n dusted in three hours, yet now they've invented some crap with half a side, playing on half a ground with a whole bunch of different rules n scoring options that's over in the time it takes to peel off a good fart and then we can change undies n watch four games in one afternoon / evening. Thank gawd there's only a few weeks to go before I have to try n concentrate on only one game for my three hours of entertainment.
Yeah, it’s certainly odd that a game of footy goes for about 2.5 hrs so the AFL introduce AFLX and it goes for over 3 hrs! At the ground on Friday night people were restless and bored (and some leaving) by the time of the second last game ie 9.45-10pm.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Bit like the NBA all stars game where there is zero intensity and defence. Just a showcase of the best players and their skill. In this context don't mind it.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Harry said:
Bit like the NBA all stars game where there is zero intensity and defence. Just a showcase of the best players and their skill. In this context don't mind it.
yes,agreed it’s Bruise Free footy,but wouldn’t you just hate it if one of ours went down with an ACL.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Waste of time and money Gill. Just a glorified training run. Concentrate on a proper pre-season draw for all 18 teams and their fans.