Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Re: Rance - A full back at Richmond

what a great great get that is, im over the moon. This kid is quick, tall, and has excellent disposal.

His bloodlines are very good too, his dad is a WA legend. Murray Rance, what a legde!!!

I know other clubs have good juniors too but our list looks better and better every year.

Sure the spine is iffy but i agree with the powers that be in that i think the game is becoming more and more like basketball. The players are untouchable and the rules put emphasis more on the ball not the player. If this is the case you want speed and class in spades. Thats the way the game is changing towards and we surely are building a list to play this style of game.

Reactions: 1 user

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007

blx said:
what a great great get that is, im over the moon. This kid is quick, tall, and has excellent disposal.

His bloodlines are very good too, his dad is a WA legend. Murray Rance, what a legde!!!

Was he the one a Footscray for a few years?

Feb 25, 2007

Tigers of Old said:
Can't believe he fell to 18.
Finally we have picked up a defensive tall. Hopefully he works out.

Welcome Alex. :emblem

Im stoked, great pic and already weighs about 88kgs

NAME ALEX RANCE
CLUB RICHMOND
ORIGINAL CLUB SWAN DISTRICTS
DOB 9/10/1989
HEIGHT 192.3 CM
WEIGHT 87.6 KG

POSITION
Tall Defender

BIO
Hard-running player who provided WA U18s with a great rebound from defence in their Championship-winning team. Won All-Australian honours.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne

BloodOath said:
Imagine it may have been a tough decision between Rance and Pears

im jumpin with joy we got the former. dont worry about the go home factor. We have a strong presence of WA players at the club which will help him forge his way.

I personally think he'll thrive being out of WA and will enjoy escaping the "murrays boy" media hype over there.

Morton and Rance were equally WA's gatekeepers so really for me its like getting Cotchin and Morton anyway. I still cant believe he fell to us.

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005

blx said:

I know other clubs have good juniors too but our list looks better and better every year.

Sure the spine is iffy but i agree with the powers that be in that i think the game is becoming more and more like basketball. The players are untouchable and the rules put emphasis more on the ball not the player. If this is the case you want speed and class in spades. Thats the way the game is changing towards and we surely are building a list to play this style of game.

MURRAY RANCE Superbly built at 190cm and 85kg, Murray Rance was an excellent key position player who could dominate the play with his strong high marking. He began with Swan Districts in 1981 and was a member of the club's 1982-3-4 premiership-winning combinations. In 1984 he was a member of Western Australia's victorious Australian interstate championship side and was named in the All Australian team afterwards.

Rance spent the 1986 and 1987 seasons with Footscray in the VFL, where he played 40 senior games and kicked 5 goals. He returned home to Western Australia in 1988 to join West Coast and his strong performances at centre half back were instrumental in the Eagles making the finals for the first time. Between 1988 and 1990 Murray Rance played a total of 57 VFL games and booted 7 goals for West Coast; he was captain of the side in 1989

Once his VFL career was over, he resumed with Swans, where he continued playing until July 1992, taking his final tally of WAFL games to 140; he kicked 26 goals.

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/r.htm#Murray%20Rance%20(Swan%20Districts,%20Footscray,%20West%20Coast)

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne

Late 70's and Early 80's was when i used to follow the WAFL. Michael, Rioli, Rance, Narkle... the list goes on and on. To me that was a golden era for the sandgropers.

Im not surprised at all that the kids of these players are carrying that on.

biglinds

I'm a llama!
Aug 5, 2003
Perth

His parents have indicated that they will move to Melbourne to be with him. Stabe family background , great news for us. Murray his old man was very aggressive and determined , hope some of the genes kick in now he is at tigerland.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Pears slid as well, this was a strange draft. Losing pick 19 ended up being a bad move.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=48039
Taste of success leaves top draft hope craving more

23rd November 2007, 7:30 WST

East Fremantle youngster Chris Masten hasn’t even been drafted but he’s already had his hands on the AFL premiership cup.

As thousands of fans celebrated outside and the players completed interviews with the media, Masten approached the cup as it sat on a table in the middle of the room and dared to dream.

He had captained Australia to victory in the under-age International Rules series earlier that year but was two days too young to be drafted.

Twelve months on, Masten has captained WA to victory at the under-18 titles, earned All-Australian selection and watched as some of his former representative teammates such as Bryce Gibbs, Tom Hawkins, Ricky Petterd and Matt Leuenberger made names for themselves in the AFL.

He is likely to be the first West Australian drafted tomorrow, heading a list of five locals almost certain to be snapped up in the first round.

Masten is a strong chance to be snared by West Coast and said working at the club had given him an amazing insight into the AFL.

“I took a couple of days off school to help the team store out during the grand final and when the cup came in, I shot straight in and grabbed it,” Masten said.

“It was great to hold it and see all the players around it. It was a great experience and while it wasn’t a real premiership for me, it gave me an idea of what it would be like to do in the future.

“I’ve been working at the club for a few years so I’ve seen how hard the players work.

“It’d be a dream to play for the club I’ve barracked for, but that rarely happens. I’m not getting my hopes up.”

Masten will fly to Melbourne today where he will join Claremont’s Cale Morton at the draft.

Masten, the godson of West Coast recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse’s wife, wouldn’t have even been a chance to join the Eagles if the club hadn’t been forced to trade Chris Judd to Victoria.

Swan Districts defender Alex Rance also has a link with the Eagles as the son of former captain Murray Rance. Alex, an All-Australian at this year’s under-18 championships, is likely to be selected in the top 12.

Selections eight to 12 are held by clubs in four different States so the Rance family will move interstate to help their son settle into his new life.

Murray Rance played 40 games for the Western Bulldogs before returning to WA to play 57 for the Eagles.

Alex Rance said his father had given him more advice about how to handle himself off the field than on it.

“That’s been the main words of wisdom he’s given me,” Rance said.

“Anything can happen and lots of things could be stuck in front of you if you’re the man of the moment.

“He’s given me a lot of guidance and said if you don’t put yourself into that situation, you won’t get caught up in it.”

DISCIPLINE !! Good boy Alex.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

Pears was a little over rated by many in my view.

Rance is an absolute bargain for mine.Genuine footballers footballer.Capable of holding down a key position and looks to me the type of tall player you can fast track as Thursty was.Might not play next year but 2009 i wouldn't be suprised if he's our regular full back.

Not the fastest bloke going around but should be able to play on the Barry Hall types eventually.With any luck may turn out similar to Ben Rutten.

Funnily enough the thought I had as i got in the car after the Casey fields championship games was if we got Cotchin and then Rance at 18 that would be the ideal result. Can't believe it's actually turned out that way.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

evo said:
Pears was a little over rated by many in my view.

Rance is an absolute bargain for mine.Genuine footballers footballer.Capable of holding down a key position and looks to me the type of tall player you can fast track as Thursty was.Might not play next year but 2009 i wouldn't be suprised if he's our regular full back.

Not the fastest bloke going around but should be able to play on the Barry Hall types eventually.With any luck may turn out similar to Ben Rutten.

Funnily enough the thought I had as i got in the car after the Casey fields championship games was if we got Cotchin and then Rance at 18 that would be the ideal result. Can't believe it's actually turned out that way.
Good karma devo.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com

Geez from the little bit of footage on the AFL website, this guy looks like a great kick, kicking to advantage on several occasions. What the hell is he doing at Tigerland ;D

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005

Rance is probably the best value surprise pick in the 2007 draft 8)

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong

he will definitely play next year.
we used 2 skinny kids as our KPP last year and rance is already bigger than both of them (not hard i know).
at 192.3 kg and 87.6 he is a big strapping bugger already,i`m so excited about him.
we desperately needed a quality young KPP and i think we`ve got one.
bring on 2009.

Reactions: 1 user