Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He doesn’t need an excuse he just played poorly. Alex himself would be the first to put his hand up for that I suspect.
Doesn’t make a 5 times AA superstar a poor player. There isn’t a player at our club or any other club who hasn’t had a poor game at some stage
Balance

That's Excatly what i have said from the start he was crap in that game.
He wasnt injured. He played bad.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Martin was probably less than 50% fit in that game and didn't get any clearances at all. Astbury was clearly ill and should never have played. Lambert had clearly not fully recovered from the serious ankle injury he got a few weeks prior to the game. Our midfield got beaten badly in the second quarter in particular, which is when a lot of the damage was done to our chances of winning the game.

Poor Zipps - sadly, all of your attempted comedic "comebacks" to any criticism from other PRE posters are super lame and lacking in skill. You are regularly very negative about the flaws in many RFC players and yet you yourself clearly have flaws. For example, Alex Rance could point out that there are at least 8 basic spelling/grammar mistakes in the content of your post above. Alex Rance could suggest that you should have studied harder in school.

My mail was that the whole backline were under the weather prior to the Collingwood game. Astbury copped the worst of it requiring a visit to the hospital and on a drip. We had excuses that prelim final. History is history. We should look forward. Rance is a huge addition to our lineup in 2020.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Martin was probably less than 50% fit in that game and didn't get any clearances at all. Astbury was clearly ill and should never have played. Lambert had clearly not fully recovered from the serious ankle injury he got a few weeks prior to the game. Our midfield got beaten badly in the second quarter in particular, which is when a lot of the damage was done to our chances of winning the game.

Poor Zipps - sadly, all of your attempted comedic "comebacks" to any criticism from other PRE posters are super lame and lacking in skill. You are regularly very negative about the flaws in many RFC players and yet you yourself clearly have flaws. For example, Alex Rance could point out that there are at least 8 basic spelling/grammar mistakes in the content of your post above. Alex Rance could suggest that you should have studied harder in school.
Cotchin wasn’t fit either, Nank was definitely showing signs of wear and tear from rucking solo for the better part of two seasons, Jack Graham’s shoulder wasn’t right. It was a perfect storm. Had we gotten through the game I think West Coast would have beaten us in the GF.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
My mail was that the whole backline were under the weather prior to the Collingwood game. Astbury copped the worst of it requiring a visit to the hospital and on a drip. We had excuses that prelim final. History is history. We should look forward. Rance is a huge addition to our lineup in 2020.

We were getting killed in the middle, the delivery to the forwards by Collingwood was first class. I don't reckon any defence would have been able to make an impact with the way the ball was coming in.

Yeah, it was an off day for our defence and for Rance.

He's a gun, he'll be back and our fearsome backline will be even more stingy.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
We were getting killed in the middle, the delivery to the forwards by Collingwood was first class. I don't reckon any defence would have been able to make an impact with the way the ball was coming in.

Yeah, it was an off day for our defence and for Rance.

He's a gun, he'll be back and our fearsome backline will be even more stingy.

DS

Plus the American played one 'out of the wheebix box'.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
You're a **** supporter, what's your excuse?

Come back of the year
Little trumpet
Rance got smashed get over it.
Destroyed.
Humiliated
Plus the American played one 'out of the wheebix box'.

Rance was gone by the time he was moved onto Cox.
Degoey made Rance look like Johnny Manton.
He was cooked after degoey out marked him in the goal square.
We had players sick and injured.
Rance was one that wasnt injured or sick.
And that's the really disappointing part.
That loss has 'collingwood' always mentioned as a team that can match us.
That gets me angry

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I don't understand why anyone would engage with this Muppet (not Rance, the poster). Its like arguing with a toddler.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
That's Excatly what i have said from the start he was crap in that game.
He wasnt injured. He played bad.

There was a rumour that at least half a dozen (or more) players had gastro but the RFC didn't make a song and dance about excuses.

You may be right....he may have just had a bad day at the office... although he may have also been under the weather and we just don't know the full extent of it. Either way, he wasn't the only 'uninjured' player who had their colours lowered that game. Pies played well that day and we limped into the finals.

I also understand your point about not being as enthused as some about Rance's return. It is a little over hyped given his age and injury. Having said that, he's been a phenomenal player over his career and IMO will be a great inclusion for us wherever he slots in both as a player and importantly as a leader.

Regarding Cox, I think a lot of teams began to work him out too. He can't ever play any better than he did that day. Anticipating his leads into space and blocking it without giving away a free seems to be the key. He was woeful when we smashed them this year - even the pies fans gave him the ironical cheers when he took his first mark in the last quarter. Some in the media seem to have forgotten that we smashed those turkeys this year. Absolutely pants them.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
There was a rumour that at least half a dozen (or more) players had gastro but the RFC didn't make a song and dance about excuses.

You may be right....he may have just had a bad day at the office... although he may have also been under the weather and we just don't know the full extent of it. Either way, he wasn't the only 'uninjured' player who had their colours lowered that game. Pies played well that day and we limped into the finals.

I also understand your point about not being as enthused as some about Rance's return. It is a little over hyped given his age and injury. Having said that, he's been a phenomenal player over his career and IMO will be a great inclusion for us wherever he slots in both as a player and importantly as a leader.

Regarding Cox, I think a lot of teams began to work him out too. He can't ever play any better than he did that day. Anticipating his leads into space and blocking it without giving away a free seems to be the key. He was woeful when we smashed them this year - even the pies fans gave him the ironical cheers when he took his first mark in the last quarter. Some in the media seem to have forgotten that we smashed those turkeys this year. Absolutely pants them.

Ive never said he wasn't a great player for us.
He was shocking on that night.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So u think he played well that night??
Thats artificial intelligence if you thunk he did.

The whole backline was out of wack having Dave there in a state not fit to play. We're so cohesive as a unit that when 1 player can't do what everyone expects him too, things fall over.

Rance was exposed because he was trying to play his role but then realising he also had to cover Dave. He was caught in two minds too often. He was trying to play 2 roles and did neither well.

Add to that the ball coming in quicker, straighter and deeper than normal because the mids were having a shocker and you've got a nightmare situation for Rance.

Paying out on Rance of the prelim is ludicrous. You had more credibility when you kept telling us we'd never win a premiership with players like Houli, Grigg and Edwards on our list.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Ive never said he wasn't a great player for us.
He was shocking on that night.

It's amazing what time can do to further exaggerate a story. Should have seen the size of that fish I caught. Rance started off very poorly in that game, but many commented how the matchups were totally wrong. He improved as the game went on, particularly after the matchups were changed. A lot of the backline issues early were also contributed by poor play up the ground where Pies players were able to just waltz inside 50s without any pressure. Consider this in that game. Rance had 17 efficient disposals (2nd highest DE%), the most of any Tiger player on the ground. 4th most disposals. He had 10 intercepts, equal most of any Tiger (with Grimes and Vlastuin). 6 marks 2nd most, most rebound 50s.

We in the majority agree, Rance had a relatively poor game but shocking? Far less than many other players on the ground that night. Problem is guys like Zips have a habit of exaggerating. This is just another extreme example.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The whole backline was out of wack having Dave there in a state not fit to play. We're so cohesive as a unit that when 1 player can't do what everyone expects him too, things fall over.

Rance was exposed because he was trying to play his role but then realising he also had to cover Dave. He was caught in two minds too often. He was trying to play 2 roles and did neither well.

Add to that the ball coming in quicker, straighter and deeper than normal because the mids were having a shocker and you've got a nightmare situation for Rance.

Paying out on Rance of the prelim is ludicrous. You had more credibility when you kept telling us we'd never win a premiership with players like Houli, Grigg and Edwards on our list.

Why did you think at the end of 2015-16 we would win 2 flags??
If you did, give me the oz lotto numbers for tonight..

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Why did you think at the end of 2015-16 we would win 2 flags??
If you did, give me the oz lotto numbers for tonight..

Go read my posts, I remained quite bullish throughout and never understood the hatred of Houli or Grigg.

You were still repeating your mantra in the back half of 2017.

Reactions: 1 user

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
So u think he played well that night??
Thats artificial intelligence if you thunk he did.
You may well be the ONLY Richmond supporter/member that is carrying a grudge against Alex Rance for that game. Perhaps a personal written apology to you from Alex would pacify you somewhat. Perhaps you crave the agreement to your view from every other PRE poster.
Arguably Riewoldt was our only good player in the game. That is 21 players for the RFC that arguably did not have a good game.
At least Collingwood did not win the GF that year.
At least the RFC bounced back in a huge way this year to win the premiership.
At least the RFC still has an exciting list of players who are capable of seriously challenging for more premierships in the next 2-3 years.
FFS, re Alex Rance, just GET OVER IT.