Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Fair chance he would be on holidays. Senior coaches tend to keep going through the post season with planning and the draft and then take a break once pre-season is underway when the high performance and assistants take the reins.

@caesar has he been at training?

Yes Dimma was conducting training yesterday, about the only voice you could hear out there, as mentioned a very flat session indeed.

Reactions: 3 users
I reckon the playing group would be as flat as the supporters are. It noticeable there haven't been any social media posts from players yet. It's a sad way for such a champ to finish.

Reactions: 1 users
Hate to admit it, but I am pissed that we pay a guy a million bucks while he is injured for a whole season, then he retires at Xmas (not injury related) leaving the club down a critical position. I reckon the club deserves some loyalty and it smacks as selfish - irrespective of whether he is a different cat who plays to his own tune. It has severely tarnished his legacy IMO.

I realise I am emotional about this but it is incredibly disappointing from one of our three captains.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hate to admit it, but I am pissed that we pay a guy a million bucks while he is injured for a whole season, then he retires at Xmas (not injury related) leaving the club down a critical position. I reckon the club deserves some loyalty and it smacks as selfish - irrespective of whether he is a different cat who plays to his own tune. It has severely tarnished his legacy IMO.

I realise I am emotional about this but it is incredibly disappointing from one of our three captains.
Yep I have a little of this, but also frustrated a little with what Gale says - that a) we will keep him on the list, and b) we will work out the compensation. How about $0, because he has retired and therefore is not entitled to any further salary.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep I have a little of this, but also frustrated a little with what Gale says - that a) we will keep him on the list, and b) we will work out the compensation. How about $0, because he has retired and therefore is not entitled to any further salary.
. Might depend on whether his contract was backhanded or front ended to fit in Lynch

Reactions: 1 user
A few thoughts from me,

a) Craig’s theory of Rance red lining it to get back cause this was coming is spot on.
b) Some one listed a club source saying retirement conversations had been happening since the middle of the year and giving Rance till Xmas to decide sounds 100% true and fits Craig’s theory as well.
c) while shocked it’s not a real surprise
d) feels like the first real shift to the next generation, the cap space is intriguing
e) we won it without him, we can do it again
f)while devastated that I’ll never see him cover ground like a lion stalking his prey before launching at a pace that looked impossible to maintain to make a contest that he had no right getting to, he has left a legacy.
g) he passed on the above skill set to Vlastuin, Broad and Grimes.
h) Grimes might do it better than Rance now
i) that I was truly blessed to watch this guy and he is and always will be one of the standard bearers for being a “Richmond Man”

And finally, I’ll always admire someone who chases their happiness and makes sacrifices. Alex the man and character is probably harder to replicate than Alex the footballer, that’s saying something.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
. Might depend on whether his contract was backhanded or front ended to fit in Lynch

Backhanded?
Thats what he deserves now, not sure about his contract.
$50 bucks he would've been on less next year then the previous 2 years.

Backhanded?
Thats what he deserves now, not sure about his contract.
$50 bucks he would've been on less next year then the previous 2 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if Gale threw Rances money at him and then backhanded him across the face.
"He's your money you filthy animal!"

Wouldn't surprise me if Gale threw Rances money at him and then backhanded him across the face.
"He's your money you filthy animal!"

They wouldve known early 2018 lynch was coming.
Money wouldve poured into martin and rance etc. To keep the following years under control.

What puzzles me is the time with family reasons. If he cut back on his academy and writing books and media commitments he would have more time than most to be with his family. There seems to be something rotten in the state of Denmark...

What puzzles me is the time with family reasons. If he cut back on his academy and writing books and media commitments he would have more time than most to be with his family. There seems to be something rotten in the state of Denmark...
I think you underestimate how much time is taken up with being a professional footballer, eg waking every 2 hours overnight to ice injuries etc. It would be all-consuming, so even if he has 'free time' he would still be doing something related to footy.

Like everyone else I am disappointed. Disappointed at losing a champ and icon to the game. Disappointed that we could have secured a free agent or traded in a valuable player. However, I am not across the mechanics of these things and am mindful that Alex truly is one of the best players we have seen at our club over the past ten years and his contribution on field and to our culture has been massive.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder whether actually he'd made up his mind during his rehab early this year that he'd retire, and was doing everything in his power to get back and help the boys win a flag so he felt he hadn't let the side down by getting injured. When he couldn't get back, maybe he wavered and was thinking of going on, but we won the flag without him so he then felt he could retire.
But announced he’s leaving three months later.

I dont think so. He is entitled to religion, definitely. I respect its importance to him and his right to follow it. But i'll always have a right to free-thought about it and post it on the internet. Basically, Alex lives in a country where 50% of the population doesn't think religion exist. Thats the world he has to live in when making that decision.

As someone who does not believe in religion, I can respect Alex's right to have it - but at the same time feel sad that he can't feel both his passion for footy, richmond and his teammates could not live alongside his passion for god and his family. To quote the lil taco girl...... Why not have both?

As "brave" a decision he is making for himself, it's a totally gut-wrenching one for his teammates that literally cried tears on the field when he did his knee. He had 40 teammates just chomping at the bit to win another flag with & for him. Thats not just nothing because "god" is involved. He was part of a team and based on the fact Grimes only saod 2 days ago he looked incredible at training, he has 40 blokes who just had a giant fart in their face a week before Xmas. They would be pretty gutted, i am sure they will say "theyare happy for him" - but deep down, you would have to be thinking WTF mate?

Add to that the timing of it being after the draft, before Xmas - the fact his message was not very convincing and seemed a little passionless and methodical - & finally he was, indeed, contracted (perhaps with an escape clause for this) - Rance may have been a flawless player when it came to on and off the field during his career - unfortuantely his retirement was not handled as such.

Still love the guy and am so thankful for what he did for the club. He changed the unchangeable. Sad his retirement was way too soon, especially since he was apparently very fit and prepared for 2020.
I reckon the religious part has been overstated and the family part understated. Putting everything behind work is something that plenty of people struggle with. Sure his job pays a lot more than most of us, but I can also understand someone wanting a change, to something a bit more rounded. If you’re jack of it, then go do those things that make you happy. Cheers Alex for winning us a premiership, good luck with your new life.

Hate to admit it, but I am pissed that we pay a guy a million bucks while he is injured for a whole season,
Pretty sure you'd be doubly pissed if you got injured at work n the boss told you to *smile* off no pay for you because you couldn't work.