Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
What puzzles me is the time with family reasons. If he cut back on his academy and writing books and media commitments he would have more time than most to be with his family. There seems to be something rotten in the state of Denmark...

that's a very good point. Ditch the AFLX white suit skateboard and have a game of backyard cricket with the nieces?

Im just playing the devils advocate here, but its possible as a family man, rancey makes a champion footballer

I suppose thats what we find out when we make change?

maybe he spends the next 5 years watching the footy on the couch and telling the kids to shut up?

anyway, 2 things Im certain of .....

1. He was one of the greats and he treated us to 200 games.

2. Big decisions and change and relinquishing something you are really good at, but isnt necessarily really good at you, is very brave and admirable.

The sun has set and risen again since the shock, and I am very proud of our Rancey and eternally grateful for the joy he helped us experience.

But Jeez I hope Dusty stays the *smile* away from the god stuff

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There's no doubt Dimma's absence has been somewhat noticeable.
Can partly understand. Reckon plans have been drawn up with Alex part of the backline.
That now needs to be reworked with this decision. He'll be extremely disappointed to lose him.
We covered him this year but it leaves a big hole regardless.

Reactions: 2 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Midsy encapsulates how I feel about this.
Hawk supporting mate of mine posted on a social media thread about Rance's retirement "Chris Mew, 5-time premiership player".
I take his point and Mew was a great player, but Rance walked into a basket-case.
I wonder how many flags Alex Rance would walk away with if he joined Richmond now.
Predicting the no. of future flags that a player will participate in is a special skill reserved for fortune tellers not supporters. It is possible he may have had a relatively poor season in 2020 considering he had more knee surgery lately to do a 'clean up'.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
There's no doubt Dimma's absence has been somewhat noticeable.
Can partly understand. Reckon plans have been drawn up with Alex part of the backline.
That now needs to be reworked with this decision. He'll be extremely disappointed to lose him.
We covered him this year but it leaves a big hole regardless.
Yes but no guarantee his form would have been good enough to hold his place whilst keeping out a 2019 premiership player. Was he prepared to pay VFL if his top form was not there? These questions would have challenged him apart from personal issues.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I reckon Benny and Cotch sounded pissed off on the Tiger website interviews. Obviously they were magnanimous in the way they spoke and praised him, but there seemed to be a level of frustration and disappointment bubbling underneath.

I reckon this might impact the club more than anticipated - and not in a good way.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Does his Tiger pay terminate now or is he on the books for another two years.
From my limited understanding as long as he's on the list we will be paying him something. ... the amount would be negotiated and the rest goes back in the cap.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
he's a religious nut job that happens to be a great footballer. most religious nut jobs think the end of the world is nigh, including a bloke that happens to be the Australian Prime Minister. the religious nut jobs are winding it up at the moment.
Rance wants spiritual brownie points because of the limited numbers available for the rapture and/or resurrection. Read between the lines in his interview with Richo when they're talking about time and energy.
i know a JW and he's a lovely bloke and he's never laid it on me. But he is hard at it elsewhere, door knocking, persuading, seeking points in a belief of the golden ticket to heaven.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I reckon Benny and Cotch sounded pissed off on the Tiger website interviews. Obviously they were magnanimous in the way they spoke and praised him, but there seemed to be a level of frustration and disappointment bubbling underneath.

I reckon this might impact the club more than anticipated - and not in a good way.

I tend to agree with the Cotch and Benny comments. Especially Cotchin. The presser seemed odd. He looked pissed off.

Reactions: 1 users

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
JR looks to have unfollowed Tross on IG. I might be reading a bit into it but it seems like at least JR is pissed off.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree that Cotchin and Gale looked pissed off. Gale did say he was disappointed. I think they do have a right to be pissed off.

As for the timing, I think that had more to do with the club giving itself time to try and convince him not to go.

Keep him on the list though at minimum pay, we don't want anyone else sniffing around.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Subtract B from A to find how much Alex Rance owes you.

It's not a question of Rance being in debt. It's a little bit like a great artist dying before his time; you wonder what else could have been created for us to enjoy. Of all the things that could curtail a football career, religion is seemingly one of the more grotesque.

Maybe it'll be like Ablett snr when he retired at 29 and returned halfway through the season, who knows.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
There may be more to Alex's decision to retire that we have been told but at the end of the day it is Alex's and his wife's decision and we just have to accept it. We don't have to like it as it wont change anything and the Tigers will move on without him

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I personally think that Rancey will live to regret his decision. You are a long time retired........

Regarding the timing, it seems to have been widely reported that he wanted to go earlier but the club wanted him to wait until preseason, presumably hoping he would change his mind. If so, it seems a bit harsh to be dropping the timing of it on his door step.