Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
My disappointments are:
1) Not seeing him out there
2) 2020 or 2021 = RFC Flag Dynasty year
3) He only had a couple of years at the top left. It is a tragedy that it is cut short - and feels unnecessary - the end cometh inevitably regardless
4) Feel he should be walking out the door with Cotch and JR
5) No-one in the 2s is ready to replace him

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
4) Feel he should be walking out the door with Cotch and JR
5) No-one in the 2s is ready to replace him
4) Becomes a major issue when you have a group of very experienced elite leaders all finish at the same time. I'd rather they trickle out instead of a flood.
5) Almost impossible to " replace " a champion but as already shown by a bunch of youngsters this year, there's always someone to step up n help fill a hole.

Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Probably opening a can of worms, but isn't all religion pretty much a cult?
Since you raised the issue there are significant differences. Here are 11 comparative points from Warren Kramer...
Not interested in debating his thoughts.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
We just won a Premiership without him - we don’t need a replacement.

He is yesterday's man so we man up & appreciate his contribution to the Tigers especially when in those ninth again years. Footballers come & go. Alex has now Gawn so one will not lose any sleep over his departure.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A good mate of mine is married to a JW , and i also know members of her family well who are as well,

There is a few little odd things that sets them apart like not celebrating Xmas and birthdays ,

But overall you wouldnt know there is that much different about them , they enjoy mixing with all types not just JW , are very social ,if anything maybe more social than average and i guess that stood out in Alex as well, love to invite you over for barbies, enjoy a few drinks , talk all the normal stuff , footy etc

While their beliefs might seem a bit oddball, they certainly dont act that way .

Yes, this is complex.

My daughter had a close friend at school who was a JW. You didn't hear much about it from her or her parents. However, they do have a responsibility to "witness". This basically means stuff like standing on the street trying to convert people and knocking on doors. I haven't seen a pamphlet in our letterbox for a couple of years but we used to get them only a couple of years ago. I regularly see them in front of the Arts Centre on StKilda Rd with their pamphlets and sign. So, yes, they are still out there trying to convert people, it is part of their beliefs to do this. I will say one thing for them, they stand there but don't go up to people, they only seem to talk to those who approach their display.

I think the fact they witness rather than harass is why Rance could be so outgoing and his religion was known but not promoted as a big issue. I have no time for religion, was brought up an atheist, but they can try and convince people of their beliefs if they like, just don't take it to the point of harassing people.

My biggest issue with religion is how they all seem to want everyone to live by their beliefs, I've never understood why religious folk would care if an atheist follows the rules of a religion the atheist doesn't follow.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I reckon the playing group would be as flat as the supporters are. It noticeable there haven't been any social media posts from players yet. It's a sad way for such a champ to finish.
Did he do an announcement in front of all players and staff as seems to be common these days and filmed...reactions at that might have been informative.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
It's seems ridiculous to me that one of the greats has retired early to go door knocking whilst we are in the premiership window. I cannot remember another AFL player retiring on religious grounds.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I haven't posted anything until now but have read many comments here. I'm still reeling, in shock, shattered. Just why? And why now? As others have said, it puts so much pressure back on Grimes and Astbury. Another huge burden in 2020 - if Grimesy got hurt, doesn't bear thinking. Garth and Balta are promising but are just novices when it comes to taking the huge power forwards at the top level. They'll be compared with one of the greatest KPDs ever which will be ridiculous.
There has to be something more to this re his wife and /or religion. Could the fact they have no children yet be an issue? Not getting personal, just trying to understand this, and if it's for an issue like that, I can understand. In the end, it's his life and his decision which we have to accept.
But, if only you played two more years, Rancey. So much on offer.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
It's seems ridiculous to me that one of the greats has retired early to go door knocking whilst we are in the premiership window. I cannot remember another AFL player retiring on religious grounds.

Maybe we can blame climate change?

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
He's provided plenty of great moments for Tiger supporters over the years, so hopefully finds continued happiness in whatever he does. If that's via religion, so be it.

Reactions: 2 users

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Vale PlasticJesus.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but there was a World Jehovahs Convention at Marvel Stadium a few weeks ago. I wonder if he got all inspired by the Grand Poobar and decided Jehovah comes before Richmond.

Real shame, one of the best Richmond players of all time. I'm a bit dirty on him to be honest.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Will be hard to replace the energy Rance brought around the club and at training, that was still there this year despite not playing.

Reactions: 4 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It's all best wishes now, but people will resent him for retiring early if we just miss out on premierships over the next two years.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Strange they are keeping him on list but not paying him?
He may be back?
Wasn't there an NRL player who left for Bible studies then returned 1 year or so later?
Can that happen here?
Timing wise very stange.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Strange they are keeping him on list but not paying him?
He may be back?
Wasn't there an NRL player who left for Bible studies then returned 1 year or so later?
Can that happen here?
Timing wise very stange.

Yes son of Hopoate - Will I think his name is - Missed two seasons to do Mormon work