Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Yes son of Hopoate - Will I think his name is - Missed two seasons to do Mormon work

Yeah mormans take time out to do missionary work, not sure exactly what that involves, but i think its similar to the JW spreading the word for god except they do it all in one go ,

its been common in the rugby codes with some of the polynesian boys over the years , they take a season or two off

Maxwell

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 23, 2003
Melbourne
Strange they are keeping him on list but not paying him?
He may be back?
Wasn't there an NRL player who left for Bible studies then returned 1 year or so later?
Can that happen here?
Timing wise very stange.

The problem is that 2 years out of the game (ACL then this) is a bloody long time at 29

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yes son of Hopoate - Will I think his name is - Missed two seasons to do Mormon work

And for a few seasons he wouldn't play for the Dogs in Sunday games either but changed his stance on that this season I believe.

He's still there is Will and played 24 games for the Canterbury Bankstowners in 2019.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Vale PlasticJesus.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but there was a World Jehovahs Convention at Marvel Stadium a few weeks ago. I wonder if he got all inspired by the Grand Poobar and decided Jehovah comes before Richmond.

Real shame, one of the best Richmond players of all time. I'm a bit dirty on him to be honest.

You might be on to something here; seems too coincidental and something changed recently.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Was only 20 years old or so was Hopoate at the time. Rance if he was to come back and play again next year would be 31 years old and out o the game for 2 years. I just can't see it. It's all wishful thinking. Time to let go and move on imo. Give the position to someone 100% committed to the club from this point on.

Reactions: 4 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yeah mormans take time out to do missionary work, not sure exactly what that involves, but i think its similar to the JW spreading the word for god except they do it all in one go ,

its been common in the rugby codes with some of the polynesian boys over the years , they take a season or two off
Should get Darren Beadman to have a chat to him about bailing out of a sport prematurely to follow your beliefs.

Reactions: 1 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Hmm..still on the list and he does seem to change his mind a bit. Could still comeback in my opinion.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Hmm..still on the list and he does seem to change his mind a bit. Could still comeback in my opinion.

Well we will see come mid year.

The club will keep him on the list if there is a chance or word he wants to come back.

Obviously If they have been notified otherwise then the opposite will happen.

caspar

We won!!!!!
Jun 8, 2006
Melbourne
Vale PlasticJesus.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but there was a World Jehovahs Convention at Marvel Stadium a few weeks ago. I wonder if he got all inspired by the Grand Poobar and decided Jehovah comes before Richmond.

Real shame, one of the best Richmond players of all time. I'm a bit dirty on him to be honest.

We do not have a good track record at Docklands. That's for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Vale PlasticJesus.

Vale PlasticJesus.

...And there it is...all explained.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
I came by a Triple M post GF interview with Dimma (on YouTube) and he said he can't wait for 2020 when Alex returns... I'm still blindsided by all this, wish Alex well, but an opportunity awaits for someone and I am confident we will find another gem - 2019 has shown we have found a treasure chest of them.

:gotiges

Flea74

Tiger Rookie
Aug 10, 2004
Horsham
Vale PlasticJesus.

i find this quite interesting. i didn't know much about the Jehovahs witnesses. but ive read a little now that Alex has retired. From a pure marketing perspective; if i was in charge of the Australian arm of the JW's- i'd like what Alex has done... as its created interest in their religion... and if they really wanted to take this new found interest in their religion next level- they would be playing the game with this and encouraging Alex to retire for 6 months and then make a comeback (under "advice" from their god)... all along with a documentary film crew taking the journey to the mainstream... easier converting than door-knocking and more in tune with 2020/ social-media etc.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
I definitely don't want to say I could see this situation however I did find it strange at the time when he accepted he wouldn't play in 2019 that not once did he say I raring to come back and be apart of it in 2020, I thought at the time gee I hope this doesn't mean hes thinking of retiring as hes had essentially 12 months off (yes I know training then rehab but playing with your mates is what its all about).

Anyhow it is what it is unfortunately, the funny thing is talking to a RFC mate the other day I said to him the saddest part about it for me is I wont ever see him play again, some of the things/efforts he gave were seemingly beyond human, loved him on and off the field, wish him the very very best in the future however cant help but feel sad as supporter.