Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Ok. The following has come to light over the last day or so from a respected source within the club. The deal with Rance is that he has split with his wife & currently living with Astbury. (She doesn't like footy). He's retired so he can concentrate on getting back together with her, which is why he's staying on the list & not writing him off yet.

There is your answer, but i dont think its accurate.I dare say it all revolves around babies - ie MAKING a family. The below article accompanies this theory perfectly. was from earlier this year i believe.

Perhaps they are having fertility issues and he wants to commit to that?

Rance is a smart cookie, but his attitude that whatever he is doing has to be 100% or nothing is REALLY unhealthy & suggest a bit of OCD or something. Its all about balance mate. Being a great dad is being there for them, but also being the a role model. Being a dad is a lot like being a footy captain. You lead with your voice, but you mostly lead by leading on the field and setting the example. NOTHING parents your child better than them seeing your commitment, ethos, pathos etc & your ability to influence the lives of those around you. I think the club is holding off on Rance as they believe he is making a terrible decision for himself and setting himself up for VERY unrealistic expectations of what being a leader, father etc etc etc really is. It's common, but with someone with OSD, or possible manic behaviour -to always be giving up the biggest thing in your life for the next "biggest thing in your life" - its not sustainable.

"
......Given these extracurricular pursuits are squarely focused on generation next, you’d assume they were inspired by Rance’s experiences as a dad. But the 29-year-old doesn’t have any kids. Yet.

“I’d love to be a dad one day, Rance admits. “But probably the reason why I haven’t had kids yet, is because of my lifestyle. Right now, I’m not emotionally available enough to be able to provide for them.”

Life as an elite sportsman, he believes, requires a one-track mindset if you truly want to excel. “As a professional athlete, it’d be hard to be everything that you want to be as a dad. As an athlete, to be great you have to be very selfish. You can’t go out when you want to go out, you can’t eat whenever you want to eat. You’re not as flexible as what you’d like to be.”

"

More

And I think that’s probably the reason why I’m waiting to have kids. If my son or daughter grew up and didn’t become an upstanding member of society, I would like to think, ‘Well, I’ve done everything within my power as a father to help them be a good person – it was just bad luck or a bad association or whatever. But I’ve tried my very best to be a good role model and a good dad. That’s why I’ll wait to have kids, just so that I can say that I’ve given everything to my family.”
Alex-Rance-2.jpg

It’s this single-minded commitment that’s propelled Rance to the top of the game. He made the All-Australian team for the first time back in 2014 to fulfill a life-long dream. But having spent years working relentlessly towards that goal, he found he was still curiously dissatisfied once he achieved it. “I thought to myself: ‘Why aren’t I happy?’,” he recalls.
That experience triggered a bout of soul-searching in which Rance considered leaving the game. But when he reflected on what he’d miss most about playing footy, he realised it was the chance to act as a mentor and pass things onto his younger teammates. “And that’s what really led me down the path of becoming an educator.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok. The following has come to light over the last day or so from a respected source within the club. The deal with Rance is that he has split with his wife & currently living with Astbury. (She doesn't like footy). He's retired so he can concentrate on getting back together with her, which is why he's staying on the list & not writing him off yet.

Can someone setup a stake out at Astbury's house and confirm this please?

Another interesting article that shows the unrealistic pressure this guy puts on himself to be everyone, to everyone. Rance may be bright, but he is definitely only 30. Dude is gonna learn some hard truths over the next decade of the price of being "evreything to everyone", especially if he decides to had kids. It really is an unsustainable life model he has created for himself.

"Rance is a Jehovah’s Witness and believes it both influenced and conflicted the way he played. In the Interview with 20Four’s The Stack Report, he said: “When I want to talk to people about love and care, which are central parts of being a Jehovah’s Witness, it’s conflicting because (on the field) I’m beating someone up.

“I’m trying to beat him and put myself over him. But when I talk about the leadership side of things, I show that empathy, care, and humility.

“It’s not an easy road to walk when you have this conflict inside you.”

Perhaps his wife did get jack of it and leave? It would be easy to blame his work for his "lac of time for anything else", but i do think his issues are more in line with being OCD and manic. The biggest thing he needs is to learn balance IMO.

There is your answer, but i dont think its accurate.I dare say it all revolves around babies - ie MAKING a family.

Doesn't he have to be with her to make a baby? I guess artificial insemination is an option unless of course JW don't allow it.

Maybe they just expressed themselves old school, you know, by talking to him?

not in 2019 buddy. If it didnt happen in social media, it never happened.

To suggest the players didn't bother to show some public love for their buddy, like they all did after he did his knee, in his retirement because "they did it in person" is ridiculous. Sure, I say happy birthday to my wife on her special day - doesn't mean i wouldn't put a comment on facebook too

I dont get what point you are making mate, clarify?

You said you don't think it's accurate that they've separated but rather about having a family. Well if that's true then it could be that they've separated and Rance wants to right that because if not, he ain't having a family with her that's for sure.

In the end it's all speculation. Just need to let Rance do what he he has to do. The rest of one's life is a lot more than just footy,

You said you don't think it's accurate that they've separated but rather about having a family. Well if that's true then it could be that they've separated and Rance wants to right that because if not, he ain't having a family with her that's for sure.

In the end it's all speculation. Just need to let Rance do what he he has to do. The rest of one's life is a lot more than just footy,

Oh i agree with both. The Astbury story might be bullcrap - or he & his wife might have had a barny over no kids, footy first etc, and he is staying with him for space and decided its time to put her and their future family first. This is all his life stuff, but because Rance is who he is, we want to understand his reasoning more - pretty much all we are doing.

Its been interesting deep diving on him, his life, family and beliefs. coming across those few articles above especially. It clearly shows the pressure he was feeling to choose between footy, family of faith. I just think its a bit sad as i think he is putting way too much individual pressure on himself to be everything to everyone. Most sports uperstars literally have an army of people around them that support them to maintain greatness. Alex seems to be projecting the opposite. Its his role to suppport everyone else around him to greatness, first. That was obviously seen this year after his knee injury & it kinda appears that playing that role had a very profound effect on him. Seeing the total shock, disappointment and disbelief in the faces of Trent, Benny G & Dimma - it said it all. It was not just sad to see a good player go - they legit seemed shocked and a bit concerned. There is 100% more to the retirement story and there is a certain element to it that suggest, perhaps Alex isn't thinking with his most logical self at the moment. If this was a clear cut retirement, there would be no conversation. So where he has left it, it where he chose to leave it. Incomplete.

We all wish him well and hope that despite our shock/ disappointment, he lives a very great and complete life. But there are definitely a few signs there that, perhaps, external pressure from all elements of his life has made this decision for him. From experience, that rarely ends well for the person at the centre of it. I also think Alex is very, very naive to think that just because he has retired from AFL, that it being a part of his is over. With the way this story was left i can assure you, the AFL media hounds will be pretty quick to dig deeper and to be regualry telling us "What is Alex up to?". There is way too much to this story for it to disappear

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Until we know with any certainty it's all just speculation.
I'd be surprised though if Rance's retirement hasn't got something to do with the International Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses in Melbourne last month.

Reactions: 1 users
rancy is a champion,but cant believe his wife wants him to quit AFL, she married a afl player with a super short life span,if true ,then hes giving up too much of himself and if others cant wait,then their not the sort i would want around me,if JW believe in life after death ,rance has lived a needle in a haystack,so much time left,he said he still loves footy, thats what i find hard.

Whatever is happening in Alex’s personal life, the online speculation & rumour mongering is unhealthy. Just let him be. He deserves that much after all he’s given to our footy club.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Whatever is happening in Alex’s personal life, the online speculation & rumour mongering is unhealthy. Just let him be. He deserves that much after all he’s given to our footy club.

Agreed.
Some of the speculation on here is unsavoury at the very least.
Rance deserves nothing but support from us.
Some saying he’s let the team down is pathetic

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Agreed.
Some of the speculation on here is unsavoury at the very least.
Rance deserves nothing but support from us.
Some saying he’s let the team down is pathetic

Completely agree.

but i did hear the real reason he retired was due to the aliens.

Separation has been made official/public
If so, then all the more reason why he'd likely be in a *smile* head space for not just coming back from a knee but trying to regain the elite standards he's set over the years.

I agree with Tooheys. Let's give the guy a break. He's given us years of enjoyment and happiness.
He's retired, so he should be able to do what he wants, without the PRE Paparazzi dissecting everything.

Reactions: 4 users
He will be going through a very stressful period in his life and will be all over the place emotionally. He doesn’t need our crap at this time.

We should be simply remembering his stellar career.