Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
In an era of 1 AFL journalist to every 4 players,
Think you might find it's closer to three pretend journalists per player. I think it was in a radio discussion a few years back n someone mentioned that there were about 2200 AFL accredited media personnel in Aust and there was just under 800 players, 16 clubs at the time. They could almost have allocated 3 media personalities to each player n covered them 24 hrs a day.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Think you might find it's closer to three pretend journalists per player. I think it was in a radio discussion a few years back n someone mentioned that there were about 2200 AFL accredited media personnel in Aust and there was just under 800 players, 16 clubs at the time. They could almost have allocated 3 media personalities to each player n covered them 24 hrs a day.

Now I understand why some go for the "Womans Day" gutter crap.
Go to stand out some how in the crowd.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Lol, I’m all for having a laugh at the general state of reporting, but saying we are cautiously optimistic is actually a notable story.

Shedloads of players are now taking time out to address various things happening to them. It’s the way of the world and I like it.

Rance is just prouder than most. At this stage of his career he thought time away was akin to pulling the pin.

If the club is holding the door ajar, and if Benny G is any indication, there’s no reason not to believe that, then rance’s announcement must’ve been equivocal.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He's retired. No longer part of the AFL Circus. What right do the media have to be hounding him? What right does anyone have to dig, intrude and make public someone's life when they are going through a marriage breakdown. FFS, he's a footy player, not our PM.

That's a pretty nieve comment in some ways. What does the media care about an individuals "rights" as you call them? Gary Ablett (snr) was hassled pretty relentlessly after he retired (both times). Given Rance has just retired and the circumstances are to a degree mysterious and involve salacious speculation I agree with tp that it is unusual he hasn't been harrassed a bit. Probably explained more by TBR highlighting his whereabouts than the media being respectful and giving him space.

Or maybe they are worried about the wrath of god if they were to hassle rance?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That's a pretty nieve comment in some ways. What does the media care about an individuals "rights" as you call them? Gary Ablett (snr) was hassled pretty relentlessly after he retired (both times). Given Rance has just retired and the circumstances are to a degree mysterious and involve salacious speculation I agree with tp that it is unusual he hasn't been harrassed a bit. Probably explained more by TBR highlighting his whereabouts than the media being respectful and giving him space.

It's neither nieve nor naive. It's in response to the previous poster, a Tiger supporter, who believe the press should rightfully hound Rance for more dirt. I don't believe they have any moral right to hound someone relentlessly when they've stepped away from the limelight. The only reason they do it is to fill minutes and column inches, generate clicks these days, for the feeble minded who get off on that crap.

Nothing mysterious about his retirement. He tried walking away from the game a couple of years ago but he coaxed him to stay. He's deeply religous and is dealing with a marriage breakup. Rance was never going to go out in the normal way. I'd say the way he retired is very Rance-like.

Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Bit ironic that the 2 blokes you mention were/are apparently 'god botherers' :peepwall.... and from what I've heard, he or she is capable of anything, so I'm always intrigued as to why they didn’t/don't ask him/her to fix their issues and hey presto..... life's all good!

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
IIt's in response to the previous poster, a Tiger supporter, who believe the press should rightfully hound Rance for more dirt.

Lucky you can spell because your comprehension skills suck!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bit ironic that the 2 blokes you mention were/are apparently 'god botherers' :peepwall.... and from what I've heard, he or she is capable of anything, so I'm always intrigued as to why they didn’t/don't ask him/her to fix their issues and hey presto..... life's all good!

To quote U2: she moves in mysterious ways!

DS

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Well I for one believe Alex could return after he’s finished developing a cure for the coronavirus, probably around May/June.

There’s more important things in life than footy right now.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Well I for one believe Alex could return after he’s finished developing a cure for the coronavirus, probably around May/June.

There’s more important things in life than footy right now.

There will always be more important things than footy.

Footy just gives an escape from those things

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
A retainer so that no-one else can pinch him n the world moves on. Always happy n thankful for the fantastic footy he gave us over the years. Now gives us much needed breathing space in the cap for the future growth of our next generation of youngsters.

Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Here is a conspiracy theory - Rance retires and gives up reportedly $1.4m and his full time job. Divorces his wife who takes half his assets.
Once settled he asks for his old job back at maybe $5-600K p.a.