Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Listening to Rance talk on ABC/774 Radio early this evening he came across to me as being very reflective, keen to focus his energies in the best way possible for the best possible outcomes for more people than just himself. Alex is an a deep thinking fellow. His spirituality does seem to have a strong influence on him and the way he wants to manage his life.
That said, for some reason when I switched the radio off I thought to myself that there would be a good chance he could back to football in 2020, but it would be with another club. Reckon if he were to play again he would want to move into a new environment where he could challenge himself and help others come along for the ride.
Would prefer it were back at Richmond. It was just a sense I was left with after listening to him talk.

Reactions: 1 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
I actually want him to shut up on the matter. He has retired.
Yeah, starting to think that.
He must have known those comments today were going to create interest and it just puts pressure on the club.
Either the clubs know he’s coming back or it was very bad wording from an experienced media performer.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
It's ironic that the way he's handling this isn't particularly 'Richmond-man' like.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
My feelings are if he plays again it won’t be with us , love to be wrong just think that’s how the cards will fall . We will have already to planned to spend his money then he decides he wants in , won’t work

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I listened to the RRR podcast of his interview and I can’t see him returning at all. Could be wrong but he has moved on and those interviewing him were desperate for him to say yes so Rance was being a bit diplomatic in the way he said “you never say never”.

He was quite adamant that this is his last kids book along these lines, the first was the beginnin, the second the middle and this one the ending.

To play for another club - I didn’t hear that anyway tbh - but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
A report coming from an interview on 3RRR.
Not as positive as the headline makes out IMO...

Rance 'not going to completely rule out' return to footy
By Anthony Colangelo
March 2, 2020 — 1.11pm

Alex Rance has not ruled out a return to football following his unexpected retirement late last year.
The 2017 premiership player and five-time All Australian told RRR radio on Monday morning that he was happy with the balance he has found in his life since leaving Richmond, but is keeping an open mind on his future.
"I love the game and I love what I have contributed and I am not going to completely rule out the fact that I could come back," Rance said.
"But at this stage I am really happy with the life balance that I have and I don't regret any of my time spent at Richmond because it made me who I am and I am proud of the effort that I put in there to achieve what we did.

Richmond are mounting a serious bid to poach Collingwood's Darcy Moore to replace retired great Alex Rance.

"It's a constant thing – this is bad analogy but I am going to use it anyway – it's like being an alcoholic and constantly working at [bottle shop] Dan Murphy's.
"I know that if I go back to playing for Richmond I am going to love it so much and it is going to consume my life and my balance is going to go out again so I am happy where I am at."
Alex Rance has just written a children's book.

Rance has just released his third children's book, called Monkey's Tail. He said he was an "arty" kid at school and that he has always written journals, some of which he shared with his friends and family. His authoring of three children's books was an extension of that, he said.
The book is about trying to reconnect with oneself after suffering an injury. Rance missed Richmond's second premiership in three years after suffering an ACL injury in round one last year.

"The thing that I want to come through out of this book is constantly be introspective ... I feel like I do have a lot more clarity now. I have got a lot more time.
"Football, to be great at it, it is very selfish and ... it needs to take over your life."
The book even features two premiership teammates David Astbury and Dylan Grimes as animal characters, Rance said.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You know, 31yo, out of the game for 2 years, coming off an ACL. I'm not sure he'd make our starting 22 in 2021. Let me go to a cellar dweller team to help them along.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm not expecting him back.
However with the lack of depth in the KPD's that door has to remain wide open.
Generational talent. Would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
I said it the minute he retired.
He will be at Footscray or Essendon.
Mal Michael part 2.
Maybe Zips. I am more inclined to think he and the club agreed to a 6 month cooling off period where at the end he would come back or more likely do a Grigga giving the club 6 months to assess the next "Stack".

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He might mistep into one of those ol style Asian Opium Dens during his trek and find a different type of spirituality known as Dragon chasing.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Maybe Zips. I am more inclined to think he and the club agreed to a 6 month cooling off period where at the end he would come back or more likely do a Grigga giving the club 6 months to assess the next "Stack".

Im not happy.
He should've retired the wedezdey after the GF, not after the draft & trade period.
He is making to much noise for q bloke that wanted to slip into the sunset.