Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Queue the 'Dimma the heretic cheated on his wife so Alex would not have been able to stomach working beside him' talk

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Grigg now Rance.... we need to get use to our former players at other clubs.

I see it as a positive... shows we help develop blokes who can stay in the industry if that's what they aim for.

Easy to see any of Riewoldt, Lambert, Cotchin, Edwards and Grimes, amongst others, being sort after should they choose to follow that path.

Just like Balmey..... deep down they'll always be Richmond men!

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Questions need to be asked why we havent been able to get some of these ex-players back to the club. Grigg and now Rance.
Yes think how many premierships we could have won..:LOL:

Not that unusual for ex-players to be told to get experience elsewhere first before coming back.
Regardless I couldn't care if they're ex-Richmond or not. Just get the best avaialable in the coaching ranks.

Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Dead to me, that’s what I say ,dead to me :)) , seriously good luck to him, I wish him all the best , except while he’s at Essendon

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Have to disagree. Captains across the league and others our Jack included, are involved in match day efforts to shape the way team mates are contributing. The idea that a coach has to be remote and ruthless belongs to an earlier time.
If the player and coach are able to communicate without ripping each others heads off there is no earthly reason why a recent retiree as a player, should be at a disadvantage as a coach.
It's not about ripping anyone's heads off. There is the "I don't need to address that cause he's a good/competent guy" approach. It's a lot more nuanced.
We lost Newman, Grigg, now Rance. No big deal.
Having collective think is a bad outcome. Bringing new ideas in to challenge things, including development, should be encouraged. Nothing to be gained by being insular.

Reactions: 5 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
It's not about ripping anyone's heads off. There is the "I don't need to address that cause he's a good/competent guy" approach. It's a lot more nuanced.
We lost Newman, Grigg, now Rance. No big deal.
Having collective think is a bad outcome. Bringing new ideas in to challenge things, including development, should be encouraged. Nothing to be gained by being insular.
I'm not worried we continue to lose our ex players to other clubs in coaching, they need to gain their experience somewhere. Once gained they can come back to us stronger in knowledge and development. It's good they go, see how other clubs are running.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The funny bit:
Essendon supporters circa 2019:
no way is Alex Rance one of the great defenders. Not even close to Fletcher.

Essendon supporters today:
we just signed the greatest defender in history to develop our young defenders and maybe slip on the boots for us in a couple of games too.

• Haha

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Dimma & Most of our current & former assistants have come from other clubs. It's no big deal that Alex has gone to another club for experience, it's also a normal thing in the AFL.

Geez there's a lot of precious petals on this forum sometimes.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I think its safe to assume Dimma and him have had a fall out. Not sure why but if I had to guess it would be due to a difference of opinion over his ability to get back for finals in 2019.

We won't see him back at Punt Rd while Dimma is around.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I know I should be happy for him, and hopefully, he becomes a great coach and ends up back at Richmond, but I can't help but feel like my nails have just been pulled out knowing that Alex Rance will be at Essendon....

:)

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Alex is a champion Tiger fullback, and a tiger immortal,

and I'll guess he'll be in the KB/Royce Hart/Francis Bourke mould as a coach.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I'm expecting the Bombers to now set up a Bachar Houli Muslim foundation - and have Bachar in a d/ment role with young Muslims in the Essendon/Airport West region

• Haha

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I know I should be happy for him, and hopefully, he becomes a great coach and ends up back at Richmond, but I can't help but feel like my nails have just been pulled out knowing that Alex Rance will be at Essendon....

:)
TF, I think I agree with you re: the nails pulled out stuff.

I don't expect our retirees/champs to come back to Richmond for their 1st coaching gig. Or even their 2nd/3rd gig.
Agree with most posters here that they should go to other clubs to broaden their horizons - Grigg, Newman, Rancey elsewhere is not an issue for me.

Insular clubs who don't embrace outside fresh ideas end up like the Blues (with their powerful internal mafia of ex-players/wealthy board members). Or the Cats who bring in ex-players as assistants.

New, fresh ideas are the lifeblood of good business I think.

But the BOMBERS - its like nails on a blackboard stuff.

And how's the headlines.....'massive coup'.

Last edited:

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Of any clubs he could have gone to, Essendon or Geelong would be last on my preference list.

Can't say i'm wishing him the best in this particular phase of his career, similar to how Essendon supporters wouldn't have wished him the best in his playing career. But i'll always have a soft spot for Rancey as a tigers champion. Just hope he doesn't turn into the Kevin Sheedy of this era.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
TF, I think I agree with you re: the nails pulled out stuff.

I don't expect our retirees/champs to come back to Richmond for their 1st coaching gig. Or even their 2nd/3rd gig.
Agree with most posters here that they should go to other clubs to broaden their horizons - Grigg, Newman, Rancey elsewhere is not an issue for me.

Insular clubs who don't embrace outside fresh ideas end up like the Blues (with their powerful internal mafia of ex-players/wealthy board members). Or the Cats who bring in ex-players as assistants.

New, fresh ideas are the lifeblood of good business I think.

But the BOMBERS - its like nails on a blackboard stuff.

And how's the headlines.....'massive coup'.
There is also the lingering disappointment/contradiction that he cut his career short to break his obsession with football and focus on his family. We all get it and don't wish to begrudge him.

However it's that feeling as a fan of being denied seeing such a superstar of your club break up with you.

And now he is dating with the bombers!

It's a bit like your ex-girlfriend is cheating on you, and you have no right to complain but can't help it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user