Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
BIG personality (to put it politely) is what I hear Craigslist which doesn’t always rub the right way with a lot of people. @The Big Richo and a few others may wish to confirm. Cracking player. Legend. Not sure about being a coach however.

I can't think of too many life of the party in the rooms type blokes who have gone on to coach. Boof Lehmann maybe but he was more like the last bloke to leave the pub, not the sliding in soap into the spa sort of guy.

My concern with Rance would be his religious zeal. I don't think he can seperate the two components of his life. I've heard from a few people with kids at the academy he runs that while pressure might be too strong a word, there is certainly influence to at least take a look at the doctrine and naturally many end up involved.

I could see that going very badly as the leader of a club.

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Let me clear something up here.
Alex Rance is revered by the playing group.
Inferences that he’s disruptive or did something to be ashamed of are totally scurrilous and unfounded.
Rance was in the top 3 players along with Trent Cotchin and Steve Morris at the club who set training standards when we were floundering around as a club, doing nothing.
He drove the group to excellence and took Astbury and Grimes along with him.
He’s a different cat and definitely religious and agree probably not the type to coach either.
Player development would be his thing.
I still remember him telling Choco to shut the *smile* up at a VFL match when he was hurling abuse at players from the sidelines.
Heart and sole of the RFC even though his career was cut short and he chooses to do things his way.

• Wow
Reactions: 14 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Rance was in the top 3 players along with Trent Cotchin and Steve Morris at the club who set training standards when we were floundering around as a club, doing nothing.

And Ivan Maric. Someone who was there told me at his first training session at Richmond they started doing a drill where there was a number of cones to run around. A few blokes cut the cones, nothing much, just step here and there.

Big Ivvy stopped the drill and called everyone in without any coach knowing and told them the next time someone cut a cone he would put them on their arse.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
And Ivan Maric. Someone who was there told me at his first training session at Richmond they started doing a drill where there was a number of cones to run around. A few blokes cut the cones, nothing much, just step here and there.

Big Ivvy stopped the drill and called everyone in without any coach knowing and told them the next time someone cut a cone he would put them on their arse.
Yep big Ivvy was the man that started the culture within the players group that was what I heard too.

Correct me if I am wrong saying he was apparently the first one who cleaned up the rooms after a game ect.

The great Skipper Chimp carried it on.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Yep big Ivvy was the man that started the culture within the players group that was what I heard too.

The bloke who told me was one of the training staff. Said if someone called him Eye-Van as opposed to Eee-Van he would go all Tony Abbott and just stare at them without speaking.

Trainers were all *smile* scared of him and used to hide when he came for an ankle taping or a rub until they got to know him. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Correct about Ivy.
He was ruthless in his commitment from day 1.

Another interesting story I actually witnessed was when Steve Morris berated a younger player who looked pretty happy with himself for winning the last in a group of 440s.
Told him if he was good enough to win the last, he was good enough to win the first and to stop saving himself and holding back.
Told him “we go hard, or we go home”

Reactions: 8 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Nice to see Jack and Rancey having a hug after the game. Started slowly then became besties.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
The bloke who told me was one of the training staff. Said if someone called him Eye-Van as opposed to Eee-Van he would go all Tony Abbott and just stare at them without speaking.

Trainers were all *smile* scared of him and used to hide when he came for an ankle taping or a rub until they got to know him. :ROFLMAO:

spot on if you called him i-van instead of eevaan he gave you the death stare,
awesome bloke, we all got to know him pretty quick, you cant help but like him

Reactions: 5 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
It's amazing - the training standards must have been an issue for a long time.

A very close friend of mine, who's nephew played for Geelong duringtheir Premiership days, said Bomber Thompson was a hard man. When Ottens got to the club, he was complaining about his back and constantly getting the trainers to give him massages etc.
About the second or third week, Bomber stormed in, and told everyone except Ottens to leave. He gave him some "tough love", which half of Geelong heard I'm told.
He told Ottens he wasn't at Punt Road, so get off his ass and get outside. I'm told he then rode Ottens for the entire week.
It's a shame it took us so long to get Rance, Ivan Cotchin in. Who knows where we'd have been if it started earlier.

Reactions: 3 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
It's amazing - the training standards must have been an issue for a long time.

A very close friend of mine, who's nephew played for Geelong duringtheir Premiership days, said Bomber Thompson was a hard man. When Ottens got to the club, he was complaining about his back and constantly getting the trainers to give him massages etc.
About the second or third week, Bomber stormed in, and told everyone except Ottens to leave. He gave him some "tough love", which half of Geelong heard I'm told.
He told Ottens he wasn't at Punt Road, so get off his ass and get outside. I'm told he then rode Ottens for the entire week.
It's a shame it took us so long to get Rance, Ivan Cotchin in. Who knows where we'd have been if it started earlier.
id believe that ,

Back when he was still at punt rd and he fell off the ladder and landed on the metal stake,
he was getting back to back massages around the clock at home as part of his recovery
We were rostered to go to his house and give him massages for a few weeks

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
id believe that ,

Back when he was still at punt rd and he fell off the ladder and landed on the metal stake,
he was getting back to back massages around the clock at home as part of his recovery
We were rostered to go to his house and give him massages for a few weeks
I always called him Spike after that incident.

• Haha

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003

LOL he would correct you straightaway with a very deep voice " its eevan"

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
My concern with Rance would be his religious zeal. I don't think he can seperate the two components of his life. I've heard from a few people with kids at the academy he runs that while pressure might be too strong a word, there is certainly influence to at least take a look at the doctrine and naturally many end up involved.

I could see that going very badly as the leader of a club.
Doesn't surprise me, but I don't like the sound of it. I love Rancey as a player and as the person we see on TV, but I struggle with the JW thing. Its freaksville, a cult. I struggle to reconcile it. Having such a fine example of a person as Rancey legitimises it. And once you're in, a central philosophy, a key requirement, is to spread the word.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Coach? no offence but no.
Alex is a JW. They are more or less competing for "144,000 places in heaven to rule with Christ, to perform priestly duties to bring faithful mankind perfect health and everlasting life".
But apparently most of the 144,000 are already there. So it's a pretty competitive scene to get one of the places.
Alex might be a little distracted to be a coach.
Part of the competition to get a place is signing up as many as you can, so they can compete for a place !?!?
yep....

• Wow

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Coach? no offence but no.
Alex is a JW. They are more or less competing for "144,000 places in heaven to rule with Christ, to perform priestly duties to bring faithful mankind perfect health and everlasting life".
But apparently most of the 144,000 are already there. So it's a pretty competitive scene to get one of the places.
Alex might be a little distracted to be a coach.
Part of the competition to get a place is signing up as many as you can, so they can compete for a place !?!?
yep....
Wasn't aware of that heaven is a ponzi scheme, but knowing what I know about JW, it fits.

• Haha