Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Whilst we need him back badly, I wouldn't be risking him re-injuring it. 2020 for mine.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If rancey could be the 1% difference to win the premiership, id risk him never playing again to take the shot.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The way the VFL schedule works might make it a bit awkward for him ie to get a few games in for match fitness. Might have to do it in the VFL GF.......

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
If rancey could be the 1% difference to win the premiership, id risk him never playing again to take the shot.
The thing is no club can ever be assured of when their premiership “window” is open or closed so it’s imperative when the opportunity presents itself they throw everything at it when it does come to give themselves the best possible outcome at that moment in time

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The way the VFL schedule works might make it a bit awkward for him ie to get a few games in for match fitness. Might have to do it in the VFL GF.......

how does it work? don't you need to play a minumum amount of games to be eligible for VFL finals? Could Rance slowly build up by playing a half/3 quarters in the last 2 weeks of VFL, ramp it up with a full game in week 1 of the VFL finals (which I believe is played during the AFL bye week), then return the senior team the week after?

The thing is no club can ever be assured of when their premiership “window” is open or closed so it’s imperative when the opportunity presents itself they throw everything at it when it does come to give themselves the best possible outcome at that moment in time

agree 100%

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
I think Alex would throw everything at it and it would be his choice to do so. Appears to have his life outside football sorted. Could be his last tilt at a Premiership anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
If he's declared right to play, he plays.
Who knows what the future holds? He could wait til next year & do it again in round 1.
Carpe Diem.
Was Rance in good form before his injury?

I seem to recall he was struggling a bit - and as much as I think the guy is a LEGEND - I wonder why we would rush him into the team if we have made finals on the back of the existing structure (and new blood in Chol, Stack, Bolton, Baker etc).

Rance is a GREAT player but he has had slow starts in recent years and there's nothing to suggest he can immediately get up to fitness and form by flicking a switch.

If we are running well into finals - I just can't see why they would risk it (IMHO)

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
If Rance was to play in the first final (whatever that may be) Broad would miss.

Every one of that back six has battled manfully this season.

I dunno. Rance is a champion.

I’m not particularly worried about compromising next season. I agree with others - I’m sold on the idea that you throw everything at a flag.

But we probably won’t be a desperado sliding into the bottom half of the eight. We’ll likely be a settled, in-form outfit.

Such a tough question. Ideally you’d play him against Brisbane in Round 23.

Worst case is we’re a player down with an under-used hamstring strain in the first quarter against WC in Perth.

It’s a risk whichever way you look at it, and if we’re good enough to finish top four with the team we’ve got, do we really need to take that risk?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We should just slip him back in during the 3rd qtr against Carlton. Be like he was never gone.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Was Rance in good form before his injury?

I seem to recall he was struggling a bit - and as much as I think the guy is a LEGEND - I wonder why we would rush him into the team if we have made finals on the back of the existing structure (and new blood in Chol, Stack, Bolton, Baker etc).

I don't think he's been the same since he copped the staging free and report. It really seemed to knock him around. There were glimpses but that 2017 consistent brilliant week in week out seemed to fade.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He would.

Short Astbury Houli
Vlastuin Rance Grimes

Rance ain’t replacing Shorty, regardless of what you think of him.

Dont see why.

Broad has played every game with Alex that they've been available to play together in bar Nathans suspension and injury.

He would also remain in the side to assist Alex.

One of the smalls would make way somewhere across the park.

Reactions: 1 user