Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Risk v reward. If we finish top 4 ..... 12th flag temptation will be enormous. At this stage I would have him less than 5% chance of playing. Match fitness, soft tissue injuries, re doing the ligament.. its going to be an interesting call all of August leading up to September.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Our backline is in good order.
Im not sure we have the luxury/time for experimenting with 5 games to go.
Let him return next year.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Who's driving the PR on his possible return: Rance or the club? It seems like a needless distraction, and putting Rance as an individual ahead of the team. It's one thing to play and get injured, and another thing to play in a final and be rusty or slow or on tram tracks or just not able to run out a match. Very real risks.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Who's driving the PR on his possible return: Rance or the club? It seems like a needless distraction, and putting Rance as an individual ahead of the team. It's one thing to play and get injured, and another thing to play in a final and be rusty or slow or on tram tracks or just not able to run out a match. Very real risks.

This situation was always going to attract attention. Elite player, hitting 30 yo, Tigers in the premiership window, do we don't we. Media delight.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
This situation was always going to attract attention. Elite player, hitting 30 yo, Tigers in the premiership window, do we don't we. Media delight.
Yeah but the latest video looks like the amateur footage Don't Argue has in a subfolder in his hard drive's movies folder called "How To Drain Your Dragon".

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Reminds me of the Dusty contract saga - divert attention and take the Cup!

Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Maybe we just want to keep a few other teams guessing. It can’t hurt.

I know it’s only a small victory but Tex Walker curled up into the foetal position as soon as he heard Rance might come back this year and hasn’t moved since.

Who knows, missing another finals series might just be part of his grand plan to avoid playing on Rance again.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If Tross gets his knee right I'm happy for him to chase a finals berth.
He could pop it again first game back same as any player might during a game.
He could play through and have a strong influence on our finals campaign, perhaps helping score our second flag in three years.
He could just as easily pop his knee again during pre season training or in the first few rounds next year if he waits and delays his comeback. Could miss out on a flag this year n then have to decide whether to start all over again with no guarantee of another finals or flag chance in 2020 or 2021 while he rehabs all over again. When he'll be even older n closer to retirement.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He could just as easily pop his knee again during pre season training or in the first few rounds next year if he waits and delays his comeback.

No not true. The biological process for grafting takes in excess of 12 months so Rance would be at greater risk of re-injuring playing this year than waiting until next year. Progress is goal based but the biological process still needs to be respected. If he does play this year it will come down to evaluating risk versus reward.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I'll reiterate, I'm against it. I reckon we can win it without him, but if we don't, my god he will be required for next years last chance.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
No not true. The biological process for grafting takes in excess of 12 months so Rance would be at greater risk of re-injuring playing this year than waiting until next year. Progress is goal based but the biological process still needs to be respected. If he does play this year it will come down to evaluating risk versus reward.

It takes 24 months.

The difference in risk between 12 vs 24 months is so small that nobody waits the full 24 months anymore.

Over the past 20 years, things have kept improving.

Now it’s common to come back in 6 months with minimal difference in risk.

It’s the natural process of medical science to keep building on past knowledge for better results.

Club will be making a safe, informed decision with known data.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Totally agree.
He was fully fit last year when he was destroyed by Degoey in last years preliminary.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Totally agree.
He was fully fit last year when he was destroyed by Degoey in last years preliminary.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It takes 24 months.

The difference in risk between 12 vs 24 months is so small that nobody waits the full 24 months anymore.

Over the past 20 years, things have kept improving.

Now it’s common to come back in 6 months with minimal difference in risk.

It’s the natural process of medical science to keep building on past knowledge for better results.

Club will be making a safe, informed decision with known data.

I wasn't referring to the difference between 12 months and 24 months, I was referring to coming back well prior to 12 months, the risk is much greater as the ligament hasn't had time to strengthen for extreme pressure . I disagree about it being common for players to play again within 6 months, how many players have come back from knee recos to play AFL footy with ongoing success? None.

Tigers won't risk Rance this season, too much of a risk for virtually no gain. Just have to look at Lynch to see how long it's taken to get back to required fitness and gain confidence.