Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Excuses? Yes was in his prime but a year out after a knee reconstruction and 30 years old is a completely different story. No player comes back from a reconstruction the same player from Day 1. There are psychological issues to overcome and confidence to build. Rance wasn't available to play in the prelim final last year.

Rance actually made himself unavailable for the Preliminary due to the complex risks associated. If he broke down, how it would effect team mates etc. Not because he wasn’t fit and ready to go. More about risk management.
I was referring more to those intimating that Grimes is adequate coverage and because we won a G.F without him, he’s surplus to our needs.
No one says he’d get back to his best from day 1 but you are talking about an exceptional athlete. Exceptional.
Strongest on the track, strongest in the gym. Huge loss. Those pretending otherwise can fool themselves.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The biggest loss the club might feel may well be not actually having Trossman around at all as he was there with the boys last year driving them.

No doubt one of the most important members of the playing group in regard to moral and club culture over his career.

Reactions: 4 users

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
There's still somethig NQR about the whole thing.

At first I thought Rance had red lined his rehab to try and get back for the GF after which he wouldve retired anyway if we won.

Then he hit the start of pre season, and said he wasnt really feeling it after doing all sessions leading ton the break.

Is there still a chance it was that clear cut all along.

Just throwing it out there.........................
I went to a breakfast event in late August hosted by Rance, Richo and Tiffany Cherry. There were still strong rumours that Rance would be back for the Prelim and GF. When asked, he ruled himself out definitively. At the time, I wondered if he’d had a physical setback we didn’t know about. Now I suspect he may have made his retirement decision, but with that in his mind he couldn’t quite make the superhuman effort to get up for finals. He then kept the decision quiet to allow the team to concentrate on playing then enjoy the full spotlight.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Rance actually made himself unavailable for the Preliminary due to the complex risks associated. If he broke down, how it would effect team mates etc. Not because he wasn’t fit and ready to go. More about risk management.
I was referring more to those intimating that Grimes is adequate coverage and because we won a G.F without him, he’s surplus to our needs.
No one says he’d get back to his best from day 1 but you are talking about an exceptional athlete. Exceptional.
Strongest on the track, strongest in the gym. Huge loss. Those pretending otherwise can fool themselves.

Playing Rance in the final would have been a huge mistake. Sure he could have played theoretically but the pressure of performing in a hotly contested final after a full on knee reco just would have made no sense. Made the call early on that he wouldn't play finals. Recovery time way too short traditionally for AFL.

Doesn't matter how exceptional, he's still human. Every player struggles early coming back from a full knee reconstruction. Nothing simulates an actual game. At 30yo, a year out of the game and handling confidence in your body to do what it used to do, I think those pretending that he could get back to his best (even in time) are fooling themselves. For someone so reliant on their athletic ability, may have been even harder. As I said he's a big loss, would have still been a top 22, but wrong side of 30yo after a knee reco, he'd have been on the slide.

I think in essence we agree, would have preferred him to be playing for the Tigers, just differ on our views of his potential output.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Playing Rance in the final would have been a huge mistake. Sure he could have played theoretically but the pressure of performing in a hotly contested final after a full on knee reco just would have made no sense. Made the call early on that he wouldn't play finals. Recovery time way too short traditionally for AFL.

Doesn't matter how exceptional, he's still human. Every player struggles early coming back from a full knee reconstruction. Nothing simulates an actual game. At 30yo, a year out of the game and handling confidence in your body to do what it used to do, I think those pretending that he could get back to his best (even in time) are fooling themselves. For someone so reliant on their athletic ability, may have been even harder. As I said he's a big loss, would have still been a top 22, but wrong side of 30yo after a knee reco, he'd have been on the slide.

I think in essence we agree, would have preferred him to be playing for the Tigers, just differ on our views of his potential output.

The idea that Rance would have come back and played a Prelim or the GF not having played since round 1 was always a fantasy.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
In any case, I guess we reserve the right to trade him if in the event he wants to return to AFL in 2021 and play elsewhere.

Hmm good point. In the Tigers interest to keep him contracted in 2021 to have upper hand in negotiations if Rance did want to play elsewhere. Can't really see why he would want o move on for the sake of a year or two.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hmm good point. In the Tigers interest to keep him contracted in 2021 to have upper hand in negotiations if Rance did want to play elsewhere. Can't really see why he would want o move on for the sake of a year or two.

Money talks.
If footscary or Essendon offer something substantial, i can see him going.
It will be interesting what compo we get.
Knowing the AFL pick 77 will be more then likely.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Money talks.
If footscary or Essendon offer something substantial, i can see him going.
It will be interesting what compo we get.
Knowing the AFL pick 77 will be more then likely.

He was already on $1.4mill over 2 years. Gave up $1.2mill of it. I can't see anyone offering up too much more for a 31yo out of the game 2 years and back from a knee reco. But if still contracted til end of 2021 by the Tigers, he wouldn't be a free agent anyway next year. I guess that's the question being asked, is he contracted to Tigers in 2021?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
He was already on $1.4mill over 2 years. Gave up $1.2mill of it. I can't see anyone offering up too much more for a 31yo out of the game 2 years and back from a knee reco. But if still contracted til end of 2021 by the Tigers, he wouldn't be a free agent anyway next year. I guess that's the question being asked, is he contracted to Tigers in 2021?

#lolNorf would. He'd be their big fish

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
So I heard he has to work with the church for 6 months, tax free.
After this time he's free to earn an income again....