All Australian stagers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

All Australian stagers

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Given the journos have chosen their All Australian players to this point I thought why not have us pick a side of All Australian stagers? Names such as diver Danger and Hawkins,Miers come to mind.We need to field a team guys go to it!

Reactions: 1 user

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
F Ginnivan(Coll) Hawkins (Geel) Papley (Swans)
HF Weightman (WB) McKay (Carl) Higgins (StK)

here’s your forward line of mega stagers

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
F Ginnivan(Coll) Hawkins (Geel) Papley (Swans)
HF Weightman (WB) McKay (Carl) Higgins (StK)

here’s your forward line of mega stagers
Razor Ray, the little prick is the main umpire. Just loves the big stage, the little prick

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Ben Brown is pretty good too.

Selwood would have to be in the team.
Ben Brown for sure.

Dangerfield is captain, coach, president and Lord.

Selwood ducks draws frees but I don’t think he acts.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Depends what you definition of stager is I guess.

To me, a stager is someone who tries to pretend something happened when it didn't, like jumping forward and pretending you were pushed in the back or throwing your head back when it hasn't had any contact.

I don't consider guys who are good at drawing free kicks from tacklers as being stagers. Someone like Selwood who rolls the shoulders and sends tackles high is just good at exposing poor technique I think. If you get him around the hips you don't give away a free kick but got at him like a zombie and you are dead.

The other big one now is guys staying low for longer. Ginnivan is very good at this, as is Weightman and I think Grimes was also unfairly maligned for this. When they go low for the ball they remain down for an extra step to draw high contact from anyone coming front on. Again, I don't see that as staging, I see it as drawing a free kick from players with poor technique and poor concentration.

I think there were signs in our Sydney game that we have identified the trend of staying low and worked on the technique, there was even an instance early when Nankervis stayed low to draw one which we almost never do.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Media hold Selwood and flopfield up as all time greats but never criticised them as floppers or divers.
Kids coming through copy them and now the media complain.
Amazing

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Depends what you definition of stager is I guess.

To me, a stager is someone who tries to pretend something happened when it didn't, like jumping forward and pretending you were pushed in the back or throwing your head back when it hasn't had any contact.

I don't consider guys who are good at drawing free kicks from tacklers as being stagers. Someone like Selwood who rolls the shoulders and sends tackles high is just good at exposing poor technique I think. If you get him around the hips you don't give away a free kick but got at him like a zombie and you are dead.

The other big one now is guys staying low for longer. Ginnivan is very good at this, as is Weightman and I think Grimes was also unfairly maligned for this. When they go low for the ball they remain down for an extra step to draw high contact from anyone coming front on. Again, I don't see that as staging, I see it as drawing a free kick from players with poor technique and poor concentration.

I think there were signs in our Sydney game that we have identified the trend of staying low and worked on the technique, there was even an instance early when Nankervis stayed low to draw one which we almost never do.
Selwood doesn't roll his shoulders - he lifts his arm to drag the tackle high. It's nothing to do with technique. Guys are trying to wrap arms around him and pin his arms so he can't get a handpass away. If you watch the tackles they start in the correct position but he's always ready to lift his arm and drag the tackle high. Grimes does it too. If you recall correctly the AFL identified this and they actually changed the interrpetation in 2017.

Under the new tightened interpretation, if a tackle is reasonable and the ball carrier is responsible for the high contact via a "shrug, drop, arm lift or duck, play on should be called".

The AFL interpretation also reads: "if the tackle is not reasonable, a free kick should be paid against the tackler, regardless of the actions of the other player."

Unfortunately when umps reward players for drawing frees they will continue to do it. IMO its not as much to do with tackling technique and more about the actions of the guy getting tackled. The AFL has dropped the ball on this, they think its more important to penalise a guy for taking one step on a mark or rolling his eyes at a free kick.

Reactions: 10 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
My additions to the squad

C Cameron
L O'Brien looks on the path to legend thespian status already

Dayne Zorko is a sneaky stager, he likes to goad opposition players and then exaggerates any contact in response. He's my smokey for the final side

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Our own Jack Reiwoldt has a habit of exaggerating contact and looking for frees. He was probably worse at it earlier in his career and reckon he developed a bit of a reputation for it and its one of the reasons he doesn't get looked after by the umps now.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Our own Jack Reiwoldt has a habit of exaggerating contact and looking for frees. He was probably worse at it earlier in his career and reckon he developed a bit of a reputation for it and its one of the reasons he doesn't get looked after by the umps now.
J. Riewoldt should get a jacket, yes.