All Stars continue Carlscums woes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

All Stars continue Carlscums woes

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Blues not worth a Krakouer . . .

Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
4:29:45 PM Mon 10 February, 2003

Talented young Tiger Andrew Krakouer turned in an eye-catching performance for the ATSIC
Chairman's All Stars against Carlton at Darwin's Marrara Stadium last Saturday night.

Krakouer was the All Stars leading goalkicker with three, as they romped home by 73 points -- 19.16 (130) to Carlton's 8.9 (57). He also was prominent when rotating through the midfield and finished the match with about 15 possessions.

The 20-year-old, who is preparing for his third season of AFL football, combined with Brisbane's Daryl White and Collingwood's Leon Davis up forward to lead the hapless Blues' defenders a merry dance. And, he thoroughly enjoyed the experience of being part of a star-studded Aboriginal side in front of a huge crowd of 17,500 in the 'Top End'.

"It was really good playing with all those big name Aboriginal players from all over Australia," Krakouer said.

"It meant a lot to the boys, too. I didn't realise beforehand just how much it meant to them. But it's been nine years since the team played and they were all very keen to do well.

"After the game it was pretty exciting and there was a big celebration out on the ground, which was great."

The All Stars coach, former Footscray and Brisbane player Michael McLean, had some simple, but pertinent advice for Krakouer pre-game.

"He just said go out there and enjoy yourself -- let yourself go and do what you do best. He said that to everyone in the team, basically," Krakouer said.

Krakouer carried out his coach's instructions to the letter.

"I was playing in a forward pocket, swapping with Troy Cook in the middle," he said. "I had a bit of time on-ball -- probably 8-10 minutes a quarter, which was alright."

Although 'Krak', overall, was happy with his efforts on the night, he was quick to point out he could have done better.

"Yeah, I got a few touches and kicked three goals, but it should have been five goals. The two I missed, I rushed them a bit I think. I needed to take a bit more time with them," he said.

Krakouer believes last Saturday night's match will be a valuable lead-in to the upcoming Wizard Cup campaign, and then the season proper, which begins against Collingwood at the MCG on March 28.

"It was the first proper hit-out I've had in the pre-season and this week we've got an intraclub practice match (at Whitten Oval on Friday, February 14 at 2pm). I've had a good pre-season and I think I've improved quite a bit in a few areas. I'm really looking forward to the season," Krakouer said.