America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Re: America, will they ever learn?

antman said:
Like I keep saying, I live near Newport mosque, and the fear of imminent death plagues me constantly.

When I go into the Lebanese fish and chip shop I'm half expecting to be beaten to death with a frozen snapper.

Somehow I've escaped the Jihad so far.

;D

Those gas stations will kill you first. ;D

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

antman said:
Like I keep saying, I live near Newport mosque, and the fear of imminent death plagues me constantly.

When I go into the Lebanese fish and chip shop I'm half expecting to be beaten to death with a frozen snapper.

Somehow I've escaped the Jihad so far.

;D

they must be Lebanese Christians.

Slinger

Tiger Cub
May 27, 2013

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The far right are keen to discuss it, the middle right are keen to discuss it. In case you haven't noticed, Turnbull is Labor Lite.

"Turnbull is Labor Lite" was what everyone thought when he wasn't the main man.

Now that he's PM we are seeing his true colours.

He's not Labor Lite- he's Abbott Lite.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

He's whatever he has to be to (a) get the party leadership and (b) win the election.

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne

Tigertool said:
I was deeply saddend today to read about the Batman cinema shooting today. As awful as it was it got me angry thinking why this should be allowed to happen.

Haters gunna hate.

Haters with easy access to weapons are gunna kill.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003

There are 64,747 gun shops (retail & pawn) in the USA. No idea how many online sellers there are. Somehow they link the concepts of "freedom" & "rights" as reasoning why nothing should change. All hung up on the 2nd amendment and can't possibly change the constitution. Sort of weird because an amendment is a change to the constitution. They don't seem to grasp that gun control doesn't mean you can't own a gun.
I'm glad we live in a country where the right to bare arms means you can wear a singlet.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

I think change is on the way.
The vast majority of Americans want more gun control.
Even a majority of republicans do.
It's just the financial influence the NRA has on congress which is currently carrying the day.
Americans are finally waking up to the fact that whether you agree on gun control or not, these facts bring American democracy into question.

The only issue is, what will happen when more gun control is introduced?
Some redneck nutter will take matters into his own hands. That'll be fun.

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA

Sadly have to disagree, have lived in the US since 1995, very pessimistic any gun control legislation will pass, just the mention of any type of pending legislation sends gun buyers into panic mode--gun sales in the last few days have spiked. The NRA is too embedded in the pockets of politicians IMO for any meaningful change to occur. Gun deaths, whether in mass shootings or daily life --e.g gun deaths in Chicago in 2016--are the great tragedy of this society.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

And another mass shooting in the US. This time 11 police with 4 dead. Ambushed by two snipers.

Chelsea

Tiger Rookie
Mar 28, 2005

I can understand people wanting tighter gun control but I am not too sure that this is the answer still.
I think it is more in the actual psyche and culture of a county that contributes to an outcome.
Per capita, I think Switzerland has more guns than the USA. Their citizen army get a gun each which they can keep at home and at the ready, yet they have one of the lowest murder rates in the world.
Why aren't the Swiss in the news every second week for school shootings then?
Maybe it is education at a young age, respect for what a weapon can do, and the environment they are brought up in.
Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

Chelsea said:
I can understand people wanting tighter gun control but I am not too sure that this is the answer still.
I think it is more in the actual psyche and culture of a county that contributes to an outcome.
Per capita, I think Switzerland has more guns than the USA. Their citizen army get a gun each which they can keep at home and at the ready, yet they have one of the lowest murder rates in the world.
Maybe it is education at a young age, respect for what a weapon can do, and the environment they are brought up in.

Yeah culture contributes. Problem is you are not going to change that in a few years decades or even life times.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

WesternTiger said:
And another mass shooting in the US. This time 11 police with 4 dead. Ambushed by two snipers.

In response to 2 completely unprovoked and unnecessary shootings of black men. The perpetrators on both sides should face murder charges.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

IanG said:
In response to 2 completely unprovoked and unnecessary shootings of black men. The perpetrators on both sides should face murder charges.
Yep. Terrible state of affairs Ian.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

WesternTiger said:

When I woke up the last couple of mornings to news of black people being shot dead by police I expected this kind of thing to happen.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003

Chelsea said:

National service is compulsory in Switzerland and at the completion of your service you are presented with your gun - important step #1 - all gun owners have had gun training. When given the gun they are not issued with any ammunition, the vast majority keep the gun but never bother buying ammunition, they merely see the gun as a reminder of their national service. The call to ban semi automatic weapons in the US would not be the end of mass shooting but a measure taken to reduce the impact of these shootings. A nutter with a 6 shooter handgun will do far less damage than a nutter with a semi automatic assault rifle. A number of the other measures proposed are designed to make it more difficult to obtain a gun - effectively a cooling off period and justification for needing the gun.

The killing of the 2 black men at the hands of police in the last couple of days is beyond comprehension, especially considering the video evidence available that shows how completely unnecessary both shootings were. The response of a couple of people in opening fire on police in Dallas is just as unjustified and another reprehensible action.

Be grateful that we live here. Australia is far from perfect but we're a hell of a lot closer to it than many countries.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

pretty sure the Swiss have ammunition at home as well. It's not just the gun. At least that was the case when I lived there