America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You only have to google sky news and this topic and the moronic statements pile up. This was on Chris Kenny.

Sky News contributor Kristin Tate says there is the “usual push for gun control” in the US following two mass shootings in California over three days.

“But if you look at the facts regarding gun control – gun control does not seem to work in preventing gun-related deaths,” she told Sky News host Chris Kenny.

She said “better laws” related to gun ownership appear to be more effective.

She also said the left get giddy about making political points after massacres!

She then went on to say that she lives in Texas and they don't have those same problems as every bad guy in Texas knows there's a good guy packing heat close by which is why they don't have the mass shootings! Texas sits bang in the middle of the US states for gun related deaths per capita. But 5 of the top 11 (so almost half) of the worst mass shootings since 1991 in the US have taken place in which state - you guessed it TEXAS. Why the *smile* didn't Chris pull her up with some facts???
Texans are *smile*. A lot of other states can’t stand them, wish they were still part of Mexico, and would be happy for them to secede.

1674623183690.jpeg

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You're all wrong, many Americans have explained to me how guns don't kill, people do.
Guns certainly don't kill all by themselves, they're just tools. They are however extremely efficient and effective tools for helping *smile* wit people kill *smile* loads of other people in a big hurry.

Who needs birth control to help keep the population at manageable levels when you have Uzi's, AK 47's, Howitzers or whatever else turns the nut jobs on.

Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Happy 4th July, America
16 mass shootings on Independance Day

Independence Day. A day of celebration, fireworks and mass killings.
Lets hope that the politicians thoughts and prayers stop the next lot of mass shootings, because they’ve worked fine up until now. Who needs laws

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I don’t know how Americans live with the prospect of “is this the day I’m going to get shot?” every day.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t know how Americans live with the prospect of “is this the day I’m going to get shot?” every day.

No its ok, they sleep soundly knowing that a good guy with a gun will come along and stop the bad guy with a gun as that happens all the tim..............................................oh hang on.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
No its ok, they sleep soundly knowing that a good guy with a gun will come along and stop the bad guy with a gun as that happens all the tim..............................................oh hang on.
Yep. Like this guy

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
what would be worse would be sending your kids off to school every day wondering if they'll come home
at some point you would think that this is not right, not acceptable.
but it seems most of the community just accept that the metal detectors, security guards, see through back packs and live shooter drills are enough to protect them.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
what would be worse would be sending your kids off to school every day wondering if they'll come home
at some point you would think that this is not right, not acceptable.
but it seems most of the community just accept that the metal detectors, security guards, see through back packs and live shooter drills are enough to protect them.

people don't really have a choice. some may choose to home school but that obviously has its own consequences.

leaving the country would only be the option of the very well off - and that means leaving friends/family etc. too and being willing to start in a new place

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
people don't really have a choice. some may choose to home school but that obviously has its own consequences.

leaving the country would only be the option of the very well off - and that means leaving friends/family etc. too and being willing to start in a new place
they have a choice to vote for law makers who will introduce stricter gun control laws.
but Right to Bear Arms and all that

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Just a point to give some context around gun circulation and ownership in the US.

There are 120 guns per 100 people in the US. The next most saturated countries for guns in circulation are places like Serbia, Bosnia, Yemen, Syria and alike that have swarms of military grade weaponry floating around the place from relatively recent (or still occurring) horribly, brutal conflicts. But even these countries are well short of the US, with high 30s or low 40s per 100 people. The US is an absolute outlier. I cannot emphasise how obscenely so, that they are an outlier in such data.

Of the estimated 390mil odd firearms in civilian circulation in the US, only 0.003% are registered.

Around 32% of Americans indicate owning a firearm, 44% indicate living in a house with a firearm. If only 32% of the population are participating in the possession of 120 guns per 100 people, how many does the gun owning class actually possess each? It's around 3-4 guns each for this 32%. Pretty mind boggling numbers.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just a point to give some context around gun circulation and ownership in the US.

There are 120 guns per 100 people in the US. The next most saturated countries for guns in circulation are places like Serbia, Bosnia, Yemen, Syria and alike that have swarms of ex-military weaponry floating around the place from relatively recent (or still occurring) brutal conflicts. But even these countries are well short of the US, with high 30s or low 40s per 100 people. The US is an absolute outlier. I cannot emphasise how obscenely so, that they are an outlier in such data.

Of the estimated 390mil odd firearms in civilian circulation in the US, only 0.003% are registered.

Around 32% of Americans indicate owning a firearm, 44% indicate living in a house with a firearm. If only 32% of the population are participating in the possession of 120 guns per 100 people, how many does the gun owning class actually possess each? It's around 3-4 guns each for this 32%. Pretty mind boggling numbers.
That's just *smile*

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
That's just *smile*
Thinking about it, of those 32% that are part of the gun owning class, one might assume a lot probably only own one. So a whole heap likely own five or more. In fact, I remember reading that something like 3% of the population (around 10-11mil) own 150 million odd guns between them. Just bizarre.

Places like Canada and NZ have 35 and 26 guns per 100 people respectively (Canada considered quite high by global standards, yet dwarfed by their southern neighbour). We were likely of a similar level to Canada or NZ prior to 1996, but now only have just over half per capita of what NZ has.

Last edited:

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
The sad thing is about proposed gun laws now and in the past over there, an overwhelming majority of the proposals seem like common sense and sensible to us and a vast majority in the civilized world, but over there…………

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
In a macro as a country view I agree.

As a parent with a kid about to go to school (who wanted things changed) - your response would be like victim blaming.

We can see what happens here.

WTF?
My original post was about how horrible it would be as a parent in America sending their kids to school every day wondering if they’d be a victim of a mass shouting.

You said they had no choice, but they have a choice to vote for representatives who will bring in stricter gun control laws.

How the *smile* do you equate an argument for voting for gun control laws with blaming kids who have been murdered in their school???
Pretty offensive imo

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
WTF?
My original post was about how horrible it would be as a parent in America sending their kids to school every day wondering if they’d be a victim of a mass shouting.

You said they had no choice, but they have a choice to vote for representatives who will bring in stricter gun control laws.

How the *smile* do you equate an argument for voting for gun control laws with blaming kids who have been murdered in their school???
Pretty offensive imo
Settle.

I’m saying an individual parent doesn’t have that level of influence.

I agree with you in a macro sense.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Settle.

I’m saying an individual parent doesn’t have that level of influence.

I agree with you in a macro sense.
I never said they did. I was talking about a nation as a whole voting for gun control over their right to bear arms.
Far from victim blaming.