America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Re: America, will they ever learn?

Why would anyone want to be a Policeman in the US ?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Big Country said:
That is definitely not certain. If anything the latest video definitely shows his right arm free. Yes his right arm, the same side of his body that the second officer removes the illegal gun he was carrying from.

When he was pinned to the ground on his stomach with 2 officers on him, how was he going to shoot them?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Baloo said:
Watch this and you start to understand why this shoot first mentality is there.

So this makes it OK to shoot unarmed men or men who are incapacitated by the cops? As I said prosecute each case on its merits, the fact that this hasn't happened is a large part of the reason why there is the current unrest.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Baloo said:
Why would anyone want to be a Policeman in the US ?

I believe a spokesman said one police officer is killed in the line of duty every 61 hours (124) Over a third (42) involving firearms
http://www.nleomf.org/facts/research-bulletins/

Last year there were 102 unarmed black people shot by police officers.
http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

It seems like there are some big problems allround

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

IanG said:
So this makes it OK to shoot unarmed men or men who are incapacitated by the cops? As I said prosecute each case on its merits, the fact that this hasn't happened is a large part of the reason why there is the current unrest.
You've drawn a long bow there Gspot. Just giving some background on what's happening in the US

Big Country

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 1, 2011

IanG said:
When he was pinned to the ground on his stomach with 2 officers on him, how was he going to shoot them?

Video is quite clear. He was on his back when shot (and apparently reaching for the gun he had in his front right pocket).

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

This gives you a good idea of how *smile* up things are in the States!
World: Dallas shooting: Police chief David Brown becomes the face of tragedy http://abc.net.au/news/7586162

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Big Country said:
Video is quite clear. He was on his back when shot (and apparently reaching for the gun he had in his front right pocket).

Didn't look to me like he was. But even if he was in the position he was in he couldn't do anything.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Big Country said:
Yep good post. The shooting in Minnesota is definitely less clear cut in my opinion. But I maintain you can't say definitively, based on that video the girlfriend took, that it was anything more than a terrible accident.

I can see how to most it doesn't look good. However part of getting a concealed carry license they make it very clear what to do when pulled over by the police. Telling the police man you have a gun and then going digging through your console is not the way to do it. You need to keep your hands where the officer can see them (e.g. on the steering wheel), tell him you are licensed to have a concealed weapon and that you have one in the car and then wait until the officer directs you on how he wants to deal with it. Like I said, more than likely a terrible accident.

Theres training issues for the Police too though. Apparently he had told the officer he was carrying. Personally in that situation, I would think the most appropriate thing to do is ask the driver / passenger to remove themselves from the car with arms in the air, hands then on either the bonnet or the roof and then remove said weapon. Then carry on with your job as to why you had pulled the car over. I don't understand why they don't do this as a matter of course. Seems like a much more sensible action. If you want the man to show you licences etc, then remove weapons first and then allow them to go digging for wallets / licences.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Is it more social engineering that not once has the term "racist" been used to describe Dallas shooter Micah Johnson? The guy who wanted to kill white people, especially white cops, and would only talk to a black police officer during the stand off.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Seeing that everyone has a gun in the wild west, wouldn't anyone reaching for their wallet be a cause for concern for the cops?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Baloo said:
Watch this and you start to understand why this shoot first mentality is there.

[youtube]q-PnrtUPPUs[/youtube]

Yeah just watched it. It's the wild west over there. They need john wayne to sort things out. It's a mess.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

tigertim said:
Is it more social engineering that not once has the term "racist" been used to describe Dallas shooter Micah Johnson? The guy who wanted to kill white people, especially white cops, and would only talk to a black police officer during the stand off.

probably worried he would be shot by a white officer.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008

The US is very very different than Australia. I have driven in 30 States and was pulled up by a police officer in Montana. Jumped out of the car like we do here and he pulled his gun on me. Was very lucky not to be shot. You put your hands on the wheel and do not move until asked to by the officer. Every one knows this over there except us Aussies.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London

tigertime2 said:
The US is very very different than Australia. I have driven in 30 States and was pulled up by a police officer in Montana. Jumped out of the car like we do here and he pulled his gun on me. Was very lucky not to be shot. You put your hands on the wheel and do not move until asked to by the officer. Every one knows this over there except us Aussies.

You do that with police in general - country is irrelevant.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Another mass shooting in the good old USA. 17 dead in a Florida school.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne

NO. 14th School shooting in 2018 - that's one every 4 days. Condolences, sadness and empathy for the impacted. Their gun laws will NEVER change.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

It's alright, all the high up players who can make a big change will send thoughts and prayers.

Historically, thoughts and prayers have a 100% strike rate in making gun debates die down until the next shooting.

Thank god for thoughts and prayers. God bless America.