An AFL warning | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

An AFL warning

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Just noted with some interest on the unofficial blues site that the afl has notified the site of legal action if people continue to lift articles and post them on tbv. ::)

http://www.theblueview.org/phpboard/viewtopic.php?t=638

Given that this is a common ocurrence on all unaligned footy sites what implication does this have for our site?

I assume if the intent is serious they will enforce this with all sites ,including ours.

Any news on this front rosy or MT?

Bastards :mad:

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Sensitive aren't they ??? Another great example of how out of touch the AFL is IMO. YOu would have thought they would have wanted people reading and talking about the game. And seeing there own sites don't have "Fan Forums" like this how are people supposed to do it?

Though you would think that if you, as part of the cut & paste funstion, quote where the document came from it would be OK. It is not like anyones trying to plaguerise or anything.

A

admin

Interesting mellow. The "letter" hasn't arrived yet, ha.

I suppose if they threaten legal action we can just copy the link, or just mention what's said in articles in our posts.
The AFL sites are pathetic anyway, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me if they didn't exist really.

The newspaper and independant sites are far better imo.

I asked the club permission to put the Jack Dyer Foundation newletter on the main page. I scanned it but it was too big so I had to type it.
The person from the club said they thought we would be free to put any content we want on an independant site and were happy for me to add it.

When I was searching for links I found an unofficial Geelong board where the club had actually made them remove all pictures etc of players.

How sad is it if the bully boys have to flex their muscles at footy loving people having a bit of fun on independant sites.

I've often wondered about copyright etc. I guess I have the attitude if we transgress the rules we'll be warned, and in that case we'll know where we stand and deal with it from there.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I think part of the problem is the contract with Telstra (another terrific deal undertaken by the AFL at the expense of the average supporter).

The clubs get paid a dollar % for all the "hits" the official sites receive. By saying you can't copy articles for example they are creating a situation that means to read something you must go to the offical site. Which = extra $.

But I agree with you Rosy, the official sites are woeful and I have told RFC this on many occassions. The reply has always been - we are locked into a contract now for however many years it is. The only club not bound by the Telstra Deal is Essendon who wanted to keep their official site their own.