An Enormous Decision for Indigenous Australians. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

An Enormous Decision for Indigenous Australians.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Chelsea said:
poppa x said:
And then we have the female Aboriginal Magistrate (sorry but I forget her name) who originally claimed to be part of the "stolen gereration" only to recant and admit she was never stoen.

Professor Lowitja O'Donoghue.

Surely you jest Chelsea....an Aboriginal, claiming she was stolen, AND with an education.

Rayzorwire,
How do you explain this?
Seems to me, we have an Aboriginal who took hold of the opportunities I have spoken about ad-nauseum, or maybe its another one of my escapes from reality? :hihi

eight ace

I live a life of well fed idleness
Feb 24, 2004
How about you let Professor O'Donohue tell the story herself:

http://www.reportage.uts.edu.au/stories/2001/Jun01/lowitja.html

"am now aware that the interview was part of wider agenda - orchestrated by those who want to deny that any violation occurred to our people. " and

"And therefore of course, he and his ilk deny the legitimacy of any attempt to achieve justice - or any change to the status quo" and

"However, as I have recently experienced - the power of the media cannot be underestimated.It feeds people’s prejudice and in turn, politicians adopt this prejudice as ‘the view of the people’.It is a vicious cycle where ignorance and misinformation become accepted as truth" and

"Andrew Bolt for example, seems to think that the definition of stolen applies only where children were snatched, put on to trucks and driven off — with their distraught Aboriginal mothers screaming and wailing after them. (And even in these circumstances it is still often argued that it was for their own good.)

This was the scenario for many hundreds of people.

And I know that many people here today experienced such trauma. And for all I know, it could even have happened to me.

But it was not the only way that children were taken" and

"You may have noticed that in the last few moments I have used the words: stolen, removed and taken. They are all appropriate words to use, depending on the context." and

"Certainly from the point of view of Aboriginal parents - stolen describes precisely what happened.

"From my own mother’s point of view, she would have had no legal recourse. She would have had no moral support and no understanding that she might never see her children again. And no assurance that her children would all be together" and

"Most of the children had no idea of what was going on, or why their lives were suddenly so drastically changed. As people here know, the trauma and tragedy of this is well reported in the Bringing Them Home Report" and

"Whether the children were forcibly removed by the authorities, or whether parents were harassed or encouraged by force of circumstances to surrender their children, is largely irrelevant" and

"I have consistently argued that we cannot, as many senior politicians attempt to do, simply see these atrocities as something that happened way back in our past." and

Our people live with the consequences of invasion and white fellas’ rules every day of our lives.

It is felt in the day to day racism that we experience.

It is deeply embedded in structural ways within the systems of society.

It is felt in the ongoing assumptions of white superiority.

It is felt in the shattered connections with family and culture and land.

It is felt in the hardship that our people suffer in every sphere — whether in health, housing, education, or employment.

It is felt powerfully in economic disadvantage.

It is demonstrated in the lack of political representation at all levels of government.

And, it continues to be felt in terms of what is currently happening to our young people, many of whom are still being removed in a variety of ways.
(my emphasis)

Clearly Professor O'Donohue doesn't share the view of her past that you clowns have managed to put together from your (admittedly limited) resources.

There are some facts and reality for you.

You people cry crocodile tears when you whinge about being called racist. You exult in the term. You revel in the term. You certainly live it and embrace it.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
eight ace said:
How about you let Professor O'Donohue tell the story herself, sh!theads
Clearly Professor O'Donohue doesn't share the view of her past that you clowns have managed to put together from your (admittedly limited) resources.
You people cry crocodile tears when you whinge about being called racist. You exult in the term. You revel in the term. You certainly live it and embrace it.

From the Aboriginal journalist, Chris Kenny:
The Left too often stymied any sensible debate by resorting to emotional rants and vilifying their opponents as racists.

Again you forgot this:
Rule 38
Become personal, insulting and rude as soon as you perceive that your opponent has the upper hand.
In becoming personal you leave the subject altogether, and turn your attack on the person by remarks of an offensive and spiteful character.
This is a very popular technique, because it takes so little skill to put it into effect. (this is what trolls like to do)

And also, what Rosy has said before:
I've pointed out that the insults and personal abuse are against the guidelines and if they continue they'll be dealt with accordingly

Eightace,
If you have some facts you'd like to share with us, by all means, post them....but without the namecalling and carryings-on.
Again, when you and your cohorts have been faced with some facts, you :hijack with abuse, trying to get the thread locked.
Is it that difficult to be sensible, and post, without namecalling?
Can't you control yourself? ::)

* PoppaX admitted that she had claimed to have been stolen, said she wasn't, and then recanted.
* Chelsea only gave PoppaX the name.
* I only questioned Rayzorwire on how an Aboriginal, who claims to have been stolen, was able to become a Professor, seeing that we have denied Aborigines SO much in their lives.

There is no need for the namecalling, swearing, and abuse.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Liverpool said:
Rule 38
Become personal, insulting and rude as soon as you perceive that your opponent has the upper hand.
In becoming personal you leave the subject altogether, and turn your attack on the person by remarks of an offensive and spiteful character.
This is a very popular technique, because it takes so little skill to put it into effect. (this is what trolls like to do)

...And also, what Rosy has said before:
I've pointed out that the insults and personal abuse are against the guidelines and if they continue they'll be dealt with accordingly

...Again, when you and your cohorts have been faced with some facts, you  :hijack with abuse, trying to get the thread locked.
Is it that difficult to be sensible, and post, without namecalling?
Can't you control yourself?  ::)

...There is no need for the namecalling, swearing, and abuse.

You're sounding like a two-faced schoolyard dobber Livers.  You've posted sarcastic digs and called posters names yourself yet you choose to highlight others doing it.   

Seeing you've quoted my request to stop personal abuse, name calling, whatever you've obviously read it yet and chosen to ignore it  yourself.  You've called posters lefties several times since I posted it.    If you can't take it don't dish it out. 

Seeing you're so pedantic about posting quotes how about this one you've conveniently overlooked.

rosy23 said:
I hadn't been reading the thread, and still haven't read most of it.  If it concerned you why didn't you use the report to moderator button to help us out rather than chipping in with sarcastic comments?

Somehow I think being so obtuse isn't an accident. Reporting abuse so the mods could deal with it anonymously wouldn’t be half as much fun as making a public issue would it?  ;)

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brickwall

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
You're sounding like a two-faced schoolyard dobber Livers. You've posted sarcastic digs and called posters names yourself yet you choose to highlight others doing it.
Seeing you've quoted my request to stop personal abuse, name calling, whatever you've obviously read it yet and chosen to ignore it yourself. You've called posters lefties several times since I posted it. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

Please don't tell me you're trying to compare me calling people a "lefty" because of their left-wing tendencies, to myself/Chelsea/PoppaX being labelled "sh!theads"???
You've gotta be bloody kidding me!!!! :mad:
If "lefty" is the worst name you can find (and I don't think sarcastic comments are 'disallowed' against the guidelines anyway, are they???)....then you're a disgrace Rosy.

rosy23 said:
I hadn't been reading the thread, and still haven't read most of it. If it concerned you why didn't you use the report to moderator button to help us out rather than chipping in with sarcastic comments?

Somehow I think being so obtuse isn't an accident. Reporting abuse so the mods could deal with it anonymously wouldn’t be half as much fun as making a public issue would it? ;)

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brickwall

You also forgot to add the:
I've never noticed you put your hand up when requests have been made for people to help moderate PRE. You'll have no say.
part of that thread as well.....and I answered, "where do I sign up?"

And I'm still waiting for an answer.

I'll never use the moderator button ever on this forum, because as you've shown in public...you would take no notice of it anyway.

Anyway, do you usual dance and move this post to another thread in "feedback", lock this thread to save the lefties further embarrasment, and continue on your double-standard ways.

lefty

Another famous lefty!
Sep 20, 2006
'lefty' seems to be copping a fair bit of abuse. :-[

I wish people wouldnt take my name in vain so.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Liverpool said:
Please don't tell me you're trying to compare me calling people a "lefty" because of their left-wing tendencies, to myself/Chelsea/PoppaX being labelled "sh!theads"???
You've gotta be bloody kidding me!!!!  :mad:
If "lefty" is the worst name you can find (and I don't think sarcastic comments are 'disallowed' against the guidelines anyway, are they???)....then you're a disgrace Rosy.

It's not a case of degree of name calling and insults.  Different things have different meanings to different people so there's no point comparing (Does that mean I'm not a disgrace  ;D ) . As I said if you don't want to cop it don't dish it out.

Liverpool said:
You also forgot to add the:
I've never noticed you put your hand up when requests have been made for people to help moderate PRE.  You'll have no say.
part of that thread as well.....and I answered, "where do I sign up?"

And I'm still waiting for an answer.

You don't sign up.  There have been a few requests to help moderate in the past and that was the time to apply.  We have a very good team of mods now.

Liverpool said:
I'll never use the moderator button ever on this forum, because as you've shown in public...you would take no notice of it anyway.

That is absolute rubbish.  We get several reported posts a day and they are all considered and dealt with accordingly.  That comment is an insult to all the mods and admins who help run this site because a report to moderator message goes to all of us and who ever is around deals with it.  I don't think you'd be suitable to moderate PRE with that attitude anyway.

Liverpool said:
Anyway, do you usual dance and move this post to another thread in "feedback", lock this thread to save the lefties further embarrasment, and continue on your double-standard ways.

I'm sure in many eyes you're embarrassing yourself with your petty carrying on.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Just one question Rosy, then I'll get back to the topic....because I don't want to see this thread locked to satisfy lef....uhm...I mean....people with left-wing tendencies! ::)

if I used the word "shitheads"...would I be banned?

Rayzorwire

Tiger Superstar
Feb 20, 2006
Just to reiterate for comedy...

I strongly doubt you'll be able to reply (hit the ball) without falling back onto the aforementioned 'Fox News' debating tactics. Why? Because you can't debate a person's points honestly without resorting to the above methods of spin and deception.

:rofl

You didn't even come close Liverpool, just the same old switch and bait dishonesty and 'Fox News' debating tactics.

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
For goodness sakes - this thread has descended quite a few times into name calling. Why don't you all just stick to the debate? I haven't read large parts of this because it is all fairly wordy, and I don't always have time to read it. I have deleted a few words from posts by various people this morning, after a reported post. Yes, we could get really pedantic and deleted the attempts to get around the swearing filter, but that would really lead to a lot of extra work. I'll do it if it's too personal in my opinion.

FWIW, I can see points I agree or disagree with on both sides of this argument. I dare say my own views fall somewhere in the middle of what appears to me to be your polar opposite views.

Just behave yourselves! :hearton

Chelsea

Tiger Rookie
Mar 28, 2005
Eightace..Just digressing from the subject for one moment, as I feel that I have a right of reply to your outburst, wherein, after delving into the gutter, you've found the word 's**theads' to describe me, and others who don't share your opinion on this thread.
Maybe your Mum should have washed your mouth out when you were a kid ,so you could have learned to put your point across without resorting to dirty language, also anger management could be good for you now, as it seems you are a very angry person when you don't get it all your own way. ... and I still retain my thoughts on this subject, whether you like it or not. Get over it.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Curtis E Bear said:
Liverpool said:
sh!theads
:ban

Thanks for your support Curtis! ;)

I accept the rulings of the admin/mods, and realise that the guidlelines should be obeyed by all people, but they will only be enforced for certain people, and not for others.

Hopefully, this time, the thread can continue with the topic at hand.....and I am even more determined now to keep this thread alive, and voice my opinions on other threads as well, regardless of the personal slangings directed at myself, and others who agree with some of my views.

An interesting quote from an article in The Age a couple of years ago:

Racism used to be offered as the complete explanation for Aboriginal poverty, alienation and early death. Racism hasn't disappeared. Still, if racism caused poverty, why hasn't poverty declined as racism diminished?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/03/1093939137595.html?from=storylhs

Maybe something for a few to ponder...

Also this was an interesting study:

http://www.pipalya.com/rlt/ascs/toc.htm

Its all about how Aboriginal students can succeed.

eight ace

I live a life of well fed idleness
Feb 24, 2004
Strange as it may seem, chelsea, I did not need to look hard to find that word to describe you. Such an outrage, I know. Surely, if anyone deserves to be in such high dudgeon, it is you. I won't do it again, my delicate little flower. Oh, and thanks for your advice on behaviour modification. It is so hard to get on in this funny old world sometimes, I just don't know where to turn.

Of course I know your views haven't changed. Of course I would never have expected that Professor O'Donohue's own words would change any of your views about her position.

Liverpool. Once again, your rule 38 is entirely irrelevant. Keep it to yourself, I'm not interested in it.  Please. Confronted with facts? That is hardly what you are about. You and your little chums misrepresent Professor O'Donohue's position (I don't care whether her name was originally mentioned - that's who you were talking about) and can't respond coherently to her own stated position on the matter. And you accuse me of not responding to "facts".

You ask how Professor O'Donohue could achieve her status? Once again you try and distort "facts" to suit your position. Professor O'Donohue is a person of considerable talent an energy - she achieved her position because of those qualities. Why is that so hard for you to understand? That you believe you can use her achievements to support your argument shows how little you understand about the issue. And your lack of understanding is not going to change through anything I say. I am fully aware of that. You wear your ignorance like a badge of honour. Oh, I'm sorry - that didn't hurt your feelings did it, precious?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
poppa x said:
And then we have the female Aboriginal Magistrate (sorry but I forget her name) who originally claimed to be part of the "stolen gereration" only to recant and admit she was never stoen.

The Left too often stymied any sensible debate by resorting to emotional rants and vilifying their opponents as racists.

As I said many pages ago "The left want us to be racist".  They ignore the logic, the facts, because anyone who thinks Big John Howard (he's taller than Hawke) is a good bloke must therefore be a racist redneck bigot.

Have a nice day.

What horseshit.

Re Lois O'Donuhue, she found out late in life that her father had actually handed her over to the authorities when they showed up, so technically she wasn't stolen.

A more important point though is your implication that because one particular person wasn't stolen, then nobody was stolen, flawed logic. Its like the old 'I saw a bleck cat therefore all cats are black' or , 3 footy player got cuaght using drugs therefore all footy players must take drugs.

The 'sensible debate' comment is also ridiculous, have you actually read the thread?

The Howard quote is also ridulous I'm afraid, the Howard 'nothing ever bad happened in Aussie history' side of the debate has been done like a dinner Pop X. But he chooses to ignore it, because he can. When the PM speaks people listen, when a bunch of historians or analysts present finding from years of research, people generally don't listen.

And before you say 'what facts where?', read the thread.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
A more important point though is your implication that because one particular person wasn't stolen, then nobody was stolen, flawed logic.  Its like the old 'I saw a bleck cat therefore all cats are black' or , 3 footy player got cuaght using drugs therefore all footy players must take drugs.

as opposed to your logic which says"one person wasn't stolen therefore everyone else was"?