Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
I think they're still invested in getting the most competitive environment, and given our list has been established for chaos ball, they want to keep it going.
No point changing a game style, then potentially getting another coach (not mini) and changing again.

Agree totally on not changing in 2023. Thought you were referring to if Mini was hired as the full-timer for '24 and beyond.

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Interesting point.

Would be a worry if the club has any say in such things.

It would be. Particularly seeing as the playing still has proven less effective since the rule changes.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
We've gone from "sausage cooking" and "various stages" to a "lick of the ice cream"!
Well done Mini.
Love it.
Bloody silly if you ask me. I have 3,626 sausage recipes and counting. Dimma should've just asked.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He has the most important cliche “looking forward to the challenge” (or some other derivative of “challenge”) down pat so that’s the main thing.

But he probably has some work to do on “up and about” and “really pleased with…” and “can’t question” something or other and also referring to the “process”.

Need more “process”.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Gotta work through the process inside the four walls to get the result we're after.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
“Four walls”. Good pick up. Definitely not getting enough of a run either.
It's definitely a challenge but that's something we pride ourselves on so we'll work through what that looks like and make a decision later in the week.

• Haha

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Mini is a very loyal guy who is doing exactly as the club has instructed him to do.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It's definitely a challenge but that's something we pride ourselves on so we'll work through what that looks like and make a decision later in the week.
Brilliant. I count a pentagon of necessary cliches there if I’m not mistaken.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Actually more tweaks and we got elements of the game on our terms better than in previous games. He's making small changes that have a positive impact. It may be that GWS couldn't/can't defend certain game styles as well as Port or the Buldogs or the Dee's could/can but our running chains were better, fewer bombs into F50 and if and when we did a far better ability to bring the ball down and bring it down in close. There's a couple of close up's of Jack and it's really evident that he's not going for the mark but is just looking to cushion the ball to the ground in close.

Funny we all see what we see.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
That aged well.
Big deal. Almost lost to the 3rd shitest side in the comp.
The players played exactly as they did under Hardwick.
No positional changes.
No shift in game style.
Just put in a cardboard cut out of Hardwick in the box.
And let the players play.
Hands free style.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Actually more tweaks and we got elements of the game on our terms better than in previous games. He's making small changes that have a positive impact. It may be that GWS couldn't/can't defend certain game styles as well as Port or the Buldogs or the Dee's could/can but our running chains were better, fewer bombs into F50 and if and when we did a far better ability to bring the ball down and bring it down in close. There's a couple of close up's of Jack and it's really evident that he's not going for the mark but is just looking to cushion the ball to the ground in close.

Funny we all see what we see.
I'm with you. Not game style specific but there was a consistency across our middle and lower end players that's been absent; everyone contributed. There were also no brain fades. The guys seemed better connected especially going forward. Defending rebounds still sux arse.

Too small an evidence base to be definitive let's see how it goes next few weeks. The bye will be the right time for larger corrections if required.

Reactions: 2 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Go back to the press conference. They selected Mini as he'd be able to keep the same blueprint going.
I don't think the right question is, "Does Mini have a different model?" but rather "Will the club allow Mini to change the model?"
I raised this earlier. I believe the club has already put a line through his name. If he was a genuine contender the club would give him free reign and allow him to put his best foot forward.

As soon as Balmy said there would be no change to way we go about it I thought Mini is just a caretaker coach and nothing more

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I raised this earlier. I believe the club has already put a line through his name. If he was a genuine contender the club would give him free reign and allow him to put his best foot forward.

As soon as Balmy said there would be no change to way we go about it I thought Mini is just a caretaker coach and nothing more
I don't think it means he's out of contention. If the club thinks they have a system and cattle coming later in the year or next to underpin that then they wouldn't want someone screwing with it midseason "to put THEIR best foot forward" ahead of the Club's. I'm certain Mini will be able to present his plan for the Club's improvement at the interview when everyone else applies.

Only the inner sanctum knows for sure but I'd suggest from the messaging they don't think we're completely busted. Therefore only small course corrections at this stage. Perhaps relook at it at the bye and once we're completely out of contention. Sounds wise to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
I don't think it means he's out of contention. If the club thinks they have a system and cattle coming later in the year or next to underpin that then they wouldn't want someone screwing with it midseason "to put THEIR best foot forward" ahead of the Club's. I'm certain Mini will be able to present his plan for the Club's improvement at the interview when everyone else applies.
Actually if he gets squad buy in, applies some tweaks and changes (to any degree of measurability) and gets some positive results then I'd argue that gives him a head start/leg-up.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

I thought the same.

Then I thought, it's Balmey. No way would he want to expose our hand and short cut a process. I'm guessing they want to see the year out and say keep playing Hardwick's style. If it works, great for Mini. If he wants to do something different though, they can find that out from the recruiting process, where he can explain his vision and what he'd do with the club.

Personally I think someone from outside the club is probably best. Mini sounds good. He's looking OK. I just think 10 years.....time to get some new ideas at the top.

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Big deal. Almost lost to the 3rd shitest side in the comp.
The players played exactly as they did under Hardwick.
No positional changes.
No shift in game style.
Just put in a cardboard cut out of Hardwick in the box.
And let the players play.
Hands free style.
Really? I'm guessing you didn't watch closely then. I'm not a super tactian for footy. But there's some stuff out there that has talked about our subtle changes in game style. Yes the overall plan is the same, but there's some detail about how we're structuring up the wings that shows there's some change.

Reactions: 2 users