Anthony Mundine bizarre antigay rant | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anthony Mundine bizarre antigay rant

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Maybe he's a Slayer fan?

81Ub697AA%2BL._SX355_.jpg

You might be right. Tom Araya is a christian isn't he?
Whats that album like? While being a slayer fan, I never really delved any earlier than reign in blood. *smile* fan I know.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
Pity so many priests ignore this. Wouldn’t be so many destroyed lives.

Not arguing there. Whether there are enough would-be priests who meet the expected standard to keep the church going is a valid question.

Reckon Folau is so far proving a bigger person than those at RA by putting his principles before money, whereas RA's actions have been prompted by money.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
kyuss said:
You might be right. Tom Araya is a christian isn't he?
Whats that album like? While being a slayer fan, I never really delved any earlier than reign in blood. sh!t fan I know.

Haha, Reign In Blood was where I started as well. A full page ad in Kerrang! with a blurb "Speed metal's finest album" prompted me to buy it.

The vocals were always a deficiency for mine, and they're weaker again on the early stuff. Saw them at Festival Hall in '95 but haven't really followed them since. Bit of a half-fan as well.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Haha, Reign In Blood was where I started as well. A full page ad in Kerrang! with a blurb "Speed metal's finest album" prompted me to buy it.

The vocals were always a deficiency for mine, and they're weaker again on the early stuff. Saw them at Festival Hall in '95 but haven't really followed them since. Bit of a half-fan as well.

Agree on the vocals. I also always thought Kerry Kings solos while blistering never really seemed to sit right in the song.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
kyuss said:
Agree on the vocals. I also always thought Kerry Kings solos while blistering never really seemed to sit right in the song.

Not sure whether it's a lack of craft in their songwriting, deliberately chaotic or they just don't care. Obviously they can really play, but they were never aiming for the mainstream. They seem to have done pretty well, regardless.

https://metalheadzone.com/net-worth-of-slayer-members/

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You read something into it that isn't there (hell).

The concept of Hell exists in Catholicism. The implication is clear - live "chastely" or go to Hell. Or are you saying the Catechism overrides the Bible?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
They're both consistent on the principle that "under no circumstances can it be approved".

Exactly - you wind up in Hell if you do it.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
antman said:
The concept of Hell exists in Catholicism. The implication is clear - live "chastely" or go to Hell. Or are you saying the Catechism overrides the Bible?

At least there’ll be someone there to take confession although with all those sinners it’s gonna be a busy.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
MD Jazz said:
You are either committed or not aren’t you? You choose which parts you want to believe in? Some strong faith Hey?

What do you think about the damage these statements cause?

You were just attempting the ol’ sceptical ‘you have to take the Bible as written or you have no faith’ argument and it as wrong as anything possibly could be. The science of biblical exegesis means you need look at the context when interpreting the meaning. Even the modern Israelites don’t take these type of verses literally and it more arguably applies to them rather a Christian like myself. In another part of the Bible it says ‘to rightly divide the word of God’. The most fundamental division in the Bible is between Old & New Testament. So yes I have faith even though I may not take every part of scripture in the literalistic way you demand.

Is Izzy’s post damaging? In modern society I would say yes. It’s offended a lot of people and unnecessarily in my opinion. I don’t think hellfire & damnation message is all that helpful to get people to turn to God. I wouldn’t post something like that. Should he be sacked? Definitely not that smacks of religious persecution and a denial of his right to express his faith freely. RA need to wear the lack of clarity in his contract and this is nothing approaching a ‘high level breach’ - I mean that’s got to be something like a drugs conviction, beating up your missus surely or manhandling a referee surely?

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Djevv said:
Is Izzy’s post damaging? In modern society I would say yes. It’s offended a lot of people and unnecessarily in my opinion. I don’t think hellfire & damnation message is all that helpful to get people to turn to God. I wouldn’t post something like that. Should he be sacked? Definitely not that smacks of religious persecution and a denial of his right to express his faith freely. RA need to wear the lack of clarity in his contract and this is nothing approaching a ‘high level breach’ - I mean that’s got to be something like a drugs conviction, beating up your missus surely or manhandling a referee surely?

Great post.

I don’t think he should post on such matters. But he should be entitled to if he feels the need.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:

Pretty sure (and this is hardly my area) that heaven and hell are held to be spiritual states rather than physical locations. Folau isn't saying "go to hell" or even that God will send them there as punishment, but warning of a pre-ordained consequence of a life lived in denial of God.

Unless you share Folau's belief system (and I don't understand why a homosexual would), there is absolutely no reason to be offended. It's so petty.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Djevv said:

So it’s ok to express your faith freely despite if it causes damage to others?

Poor persecuted Israel hey.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
So it’s ok to express your faith freely despite if it causes damage to others?

Poor persecuted Israel hey.

We tolerate Muslims regarding us as second-class citizens ("kuffar"), so I don't see what the big deal is. It's a club like any other club, with rules of membership.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Djevv said:
You were just attempting the ol’ sceptical ‘you have to take the Bible as written or you have no faith’ argument and it as wrong as anything possibly could be. The science of biblical exegesis means you need look at the context when interpreting the meaning. Even the modern Israelites don’t take these type of verses literally and it more arguably applies to them rather a Christian like myself. In another part of the Bible it says ‘to rightly divide the word of God’. The most fundamental division in the Bible is between Old & New Testament. So yes I have faith even though I may not take every part of scripture in the literalistic way you demand.

Great post Djev.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12229930&fbclid=IwAR3vSRXIF0B43yhuiZMLHm9sME6MWhMkMHidYecwTwHgwkB2YbHcoiKF4Hs

Looking at press coverage on the reaction among Pacific Islander players in the ARU system. Whether we agree with the perspective of these players (and this subsection of the community) or not. It seems the governing body has just alienated a significant part of it's player and supporter pool. This story has a bit to run yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a boycott of all ARU affiliated programmes by Pacific Islander players (and by default, probably also their supporters/community). And indeed, apparently some Pacific Islander players playing Rugby League participated in similar demonstrations on the weekend.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Panthera Tigris said:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12229930&fbclid=IwAR3vSRXIF0B43yhuiZMLHm9sME6MWhMkMHidYecwTwHgwkB2YbHcoiKF4Hs

Looking at press coverage on the reaction among Pacific Islander players in the ARU system. The governing body has just alienated a huge part of it's player and supporter pool. This story has a bit to run yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a boycott of all ARU affiliated programmes by Pacific Islander players (and by default, probably also their supporters/community). And indeed, apparently some Pacific Islander players playing Rugby League participated in similar demonstrations on the weekend.

Hilarious really, the only reason they follow christianity is through missionary "invasion". What a backwards lot.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
MD Jazz said:
Hilarious really, the only reason they follow christianity is through missionary "invasion". What a backwards lot.
On that note, I'd suggest there aren't many of us on earth that don't descend from a groups of people that have been invaded while simultaneously descending from other groups that have done some invading at some point in human history. ;)

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Panthera Tigris said:
On that note, I'd suggest there aren't many of us on earth that don't descend from a groups of people that have been invaded while simultaneously descending from other groups that have done some invading at some point in human history. ;)

They don't descend from the invaders but they bought in to their fairytales hook line and sinker. Not much different to the mumbo jumbo witchcraft superstitions they used to follow really.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Pretty sure (and this is hardly my area) that heaven and hell are held to be spiritual states rather than physical locations. Folau isn't saying "go to hell" or even that God will send them there as punishment, but warning of a pre-ordained consequence of a life lived in denial of God.

Nope, the Catholics still believe in Hell as a real place. I read on the weekend that they have offered new programs in exorcism - see https://sacerdos.org/en/exorcism-and-prayer-of-liberation/ for details should you want to enrol.

Yes, they believe that Satan is a real entity and that demons walk the earth and possess people and that Hell exists, and people like you, me and homosexuals (among others) will burn in Hell for all Eternity.

Evangelicals, not quite sure but they tend to be fairly literalist with the Gospels.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Unless you share Folau's belief system (and I don't understand why a homosexual would), there is absolutely no reason to be offended. It's so petty.

Because gay kids struggling with their identity suffer and kill themselves over this kind of stuff - particularly those who are brought up in one faith or another. Yeah, many leave their faiths and I understand that too. One of the sadder aspects of this is that there is long tradition of acceptance of homosexuality in Polynesian culture, but this seems to be being overridden by the evangelical Christian fundies.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
antman said:
Nope, the Catholics still believe in Hell as a real place. I read on the weekend that they have offered new programs in exorcism - see https://sacerdos.org/en/exorcism-and-prayer-of-liberation/ for details should you want to enrol.

Yes, they believe that Satan is a real entity and that demons walk the earth and possess people and that Hell exists, and people like you, me and homosexuals (among others) will burn in Hell for all Eternity.

Evangelicals, not quite sure but they tend to be fairly literalist with the Gospels.

Because gay kids struggling with their identity suffer and kill themselves over this kind of stuff - particularly those who are brought up in one faith or another. Yeah, many leave their faiths and I understand that too. One of the sadder aspects of this is that there is long tradition of acceptance of homosexuality in Polynesian culture, but this seems to be being overridden by the evangelical Christian fundies.
Not strictly homosexuality as such. But the concept of Fa'afafine in Samoan culture, I think might be what you were touching on. I assume there may be an equivalent concept in other Polynesian cultures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa%27afafine