Anyone signed up to Kayo new sports online streaming service? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anyone signed up to Kayo new sports online streaming service?

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I've got to say that Kayo is a very very ordinary streaming service, in my experience at least.
I first did the free trial a couple of years ago, and cast games from my pc browser to HD tv, but the poor quality picture and constant buffering ruined it, so cancelled it.
Now i've got NBN and a new tv with the Kayo app, so i thought i'd sign up again during the week.
First up, tried watching replay of last weeks VFL game. Kept getting errors, or a message saying it was waiting for the live game to start.
Tried some MotoGP qualifying, but the buffering and quality made it pointless.
Now watching the game live, and while there is no buffering, the picture quality is absolute *smile*. Goes from HD to SD to basically noD and back. Half the time its just a blur.
Is it just me? Every other streaming service/app ive used works perfectly.
Won't be renewing
I’d agree. Watching today it chopped in and out, paused, quality varied etc. all other streaming services I’ve used don’t have this issue. With that said I imagine live sport streaming would be different to streaming anything else so probably has a lot more technical challenges. If I’m watching a replay, then don’t seem to have the same issues.

I had similar issues with watchafl when I was living overseas and that was on high speed us cable

it’s almost a monopoly now though (you could go to a pub (well if you aren’t in lockdown )) so if you want to watch it live you don’t really have a choice.

Reactions: 1 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Signed up and used it for the first time today; no issues at all.

I have NBN and use Telstra.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Very disappointed to see no Maurice Rioli in a range of Kayo Classics Minis featuring the best 10 games played by Indigenous footballers compressed into a 20 minute file.

No Maurice Rioli from '82 GF, despite the fact he won the Norm Smith that day.

End the Rioli farce. For god sake someone needs to produce a documentary on him with lots of footage of him playing. It must be out there if they can show highlights for Farmer and Cable.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Anyone finding kayo quality more *smile* than normal today?

Internet speeds are fine but it has been patchy and out of focus all day.
This was happening to me last weekend. It would lose picture quality every 5 minutes, and sometimes freeze.

I’m suspicious of them being able to host all of their customers and maintain the quality and consistency of product. And I reckon it might come down to how many people are trying to use their service at the same time.

I never had the same problems with Foxtel in the past.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

I tried casting it this afternoon but gave up and just watched on my iPad.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Always has this issue with Kayo. It is *smile* quality IMO. All other streaming apps are great albeit not live sport so can’t compare on that basis.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i'm dumping Kayo after the footy season. no need for it over the summer months now that the A-League has moved to Paramount+

BetterTigers

Tiger Rookie
May 21, 2011
Always has this issue with Kayo. It is *smile* quality IMO. All other streaming apps are great albeit not live sport so can’t compare on that basis.
The kayo streaming quality for live sports is really poor .... I think my eyes are goofy until I switch over to the Seven broadcast and then wow everything is clear again.

It's not my NBN connection as I get much better quality of live sport from Optus streaming soccer and the MLB app streaming baseball - both these apps seem to be more close to broadcast quality.. I use an apple tv 4th generation.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
The kayo streaming quality for live sports is really poor .... I think my eyes are goofy until I switch over to the Seven broadcast and then wow everything is clear again.

It's not my NBN connection as I get much better quality of live sport from Optus streaming soccer and the MLB app streaming baseball - both these apps seem to be more close to broadcast quality.. I use an apple tv 4th generation.
Don't wanna sound like I know what I'm talking about but have you checked the settings are on HD?
Also, I had an issue once on another matter and they got back to me within a couple of minutes.
Anyway, I hope you get it sorted:)

Flea74

Tiger Rookie
Aug 10, 2004
Horsham
Hey all. This has been covered before. But Ive just got to Canada and didn't realise I couldn't access my KAYO over here. Suggestion ive read from Google is getting a VPN so I can access my KAYO account for the next 7 weeks. Anyone with any help on this idea?: or alternatives for me- please let me know! Cheers!!!

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Hey all. This has been covered before. But Ive just got to Canada and didn't realise I couldn't access my KAYO over here. Suggestion ive read from Google is getting a VPN so I can access my KAYO account for the next 7 weeks. Anyone with any help on this idea?: or alternatives for me- please let me know! Cheers!!!
www.watchafl.com.au is the official AFL streaming service for viewing from outside Australia. Obviously you'll have to pay. I don't know what it costs because I haven't paid for it for years - it comes free with my RFC membership (every game, not just Richmond). But it's not alot and from memory I think you can pay by the match, month or season. Very good quality too. You won't need a VPN because it is specifically for outside Australia.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
www.watchafl.com.au is the official AFL streaming service for viewing from outside Australia. Obviously you'll have to pay. I don't know what it costs because I haven't paid for it for years - it comes free with my RFC membership (every game, not just Richmond). But it's not alot and from memory I think you can pay by the match, month or season. Very good quality too. You won't need a VPN because it is specifically for outside Australia.
Watchafl is great. Perhaps the best thing the league has ever done.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Just google for a vpn. I used PIA whenever I travelled which worked on pc or iOS for me. They are pretty heavy cheap.

Basically you run the app whenever you want to and tell the app which country you want to pretend to be in.

No need to pay for another subscription like watch AFL. (Better is probably to subscribe to watch AFL and not Kayo and pretend to be outside Australia if all you use Kayo for is AFL and nothing else)

I don’t do it but if you pretend to be in say the USA then your Netflix list will be different than Australia and/or you could download the cbs app for example and use it which you can’t fro. Australia.

I think they are about $5/month - no need to overpay.

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
It wont work with a vpn.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I tried it just to see. It didn't work. I was using Surfshark. Maybe a different one will work.
Yep often you have to switch to one they haven’t blocked. Worth taking a free trial of one for someone who is taking a short trip.