Anyone signed up to Kayo new sports online streaming service? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anyone signed up to Kayo new sports online streaming service?

E

easy_tiger

Thanks for the advice fellas

But im still pretty confused.

I'll just wait for another 10 years until you get it all set up free with a happy meal

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
For those with Foxtel that got the discount - did you just call and say you are cancelling and switching to Kayo and they gave a discount to keep the business?

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
MD Jazz said:
For those with Foxtel that got the discount - did you just call and say you are cancelling and switching to Kayo and they gave a discount to keep the business?

For me I just call to cancel every 6 months. I have everything but movies and I’m paying $55p/m total

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Our landline internet was crap so I disconnected my landline and now use my mobile phone to hot-spot my devices to connect to the internet. Do you think Kayo would work for me? I'm really unsure about reliability of live streaming.

Stoobes

Tiger Rookie
May 24, 2005
MalenyTiger said:
Our landline internet was crap so I disconnected my landline and now use my mobile phone to hot-spot my devices to connect to the internet. Do you think Kayo would work for me? I'm really unsure about reliability of live streaming.

Was worried about the same thing for my mother who only had hotspot on the phone.
She gave the 2 week trial a go and is really impressed so far and has chosen to sign up.
It was a little shaky when she was talking to me on the phone while streaming though but that's probably to be expected.
I'd suggest giving the 14 day trial a go first just to be sure.

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Thanks for that Stoobes. I went on their website and found out that for every hour of HD content on a single screen it uses about 3.25gb so its roughly 10gb a game. I've gone for the free trial and will see how it goes.

Stoobes

Tiger Rookie
May 24, 2005
MalenyTiger said:
Thanks for that Stoobes. I went on their website and found out that for every hour of HD content on a single screen it uses about 3.25gb so its roughly 10gb a game. I've gone for the free trial and will see how it goes.

Good luck!
She's also on limited data and found it to be less than that, I think maybe 6gb for the JLT games.
This was only streaming on a Laptop though so potentially is more more to a TV.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Chromecast or Apple TV is your best bet.

its a joke you need a casting device that is specific to your phone. i have chromecast to watch Netflix. But if I am not there, my misses can't cast it as she doesn't have Apple TV. there needs to be a universal casting device for all.

MD Jazz said:

been doing that trick for years. I call Foxtel and ask them if they have any specials (say I'm a long term customer, threaten to leave if necessary). they usually offer something for half price. then just before that deal expires, i call back again and get something else. about 8 months ago I got the sports pack for half price. then when it expired after 6 months, i didn't even need to call them this time. they emailed me to tell them they have extended it for 12 more months. it just goes to show how much foxtel is struggling atm.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
its a joke you need a casting device that is specific to your phone. i have chromecast to watch Netflix. But if I am not there, my misses can't cast it as she doesn't have Apple TV. there needs to be a universal casting device for all.

With an Apple TV you don't need to cast at all (assuming you have internet connected and a router) as it hosts the apps, not your phone.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
With an Apple TV you don't need to cast at all (assuming you have internet connected and a router) as it hosts the apps, not your phone.

alright fair enough. i'm not an apple person, so i just assumed it was a casting device similar to chromecast. but my statement still stands... life would be easier for everyone if casting for all types of devices were universal.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Signed up for the 14 day free trial, and won’t be extending it unless big improvement next week.
Unwatchable with all the buffering. Have had no problems with any other streaming service. That was *smile*

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
MD Jazz said:

FYI - I did this last year and got offered $39.95 for 12 months - then it was due to go to about $65 from April/May this year (btw - I have the footy, no movies but also have the IQ4 box and HD).
A couple of weeks ago I got an email saying they were going to extend the $39 deal - didn't even need to ask.
Otherwise I was thinking I'd check out Kayo.
I don't reckon what I get from Foxtel is worth more than $39 so I'm happy enough to continue for now.

Apart from the footy which is specifically ad free - Foxtel is absolutely unwatchable due to the ads.
Basically I never watch anything else "live to air" without recording it first and then zapping the ads.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Have been enjoying the ABC version of the 1980 Grand Final on there. Never seen it before, only seen the one commentated with Lou Richards & Peter Landy.

They could've shown the cup and medal presentations at the end!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
I'm really loving Kayo sports. Cancelled Foxsports and will never look back.

You have every sport you could ever want on demand. Plus all the fox sports channel. Any footy show and any game on replay whenever you feel like watching it, and all in 1080p. $25/ month.

You do have to do a little work to get it going ideally though. Chromecast from your phone is not optimal.

These best way to do it if you dont already have an Android smart tv( like a Sony) is to buy an Android Box. If money is no object just buy a Nividia Shield from *smile* Smith, they are $269. If you want to save a bit of money you can get a good quality Android player for around $100 from ebay. Android Boxes are amazing these days, theres that many apps for it, it's crazy. For example you can turn your box into a retro gaming console and pretty much play every game in the history of gaming free.

Once you've got an Android Boxt load in the Kayo App just like you get apps for your phone.

However a better way to do it, is to load an App called Kodi, then run a Kayo add on that a guy over at Whirlpool wrote for it. Gives you great fliexibility. I can provide the how-to link if anyone is interested.