ARC Appeal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ARC Appeal

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Too many umpires to have one under each post. Next issue will be umpires preventing players from a clear run at the ball.
Week after week we whinge about being robbed by this decision or that in general play and then move on and forget about it, but the arc has upset more people than anything and it has been durable angst.
Further, the conferences and delays present an anticlimax to the kicking of a goal. And this should be sacrosanct in our game.
The arc is quite simply a failed experiment.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Funny how when the AFL wants something to go away nothing gets written about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Funny how when the AFL wants something to go away nothing gets written about it.

Yeah still waiting for this amazing footage and the betting umpires scandal gone quite also. The afl owns 90% of the media most are yes men and the ones aren't like Warner get tossed aside.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
David Rodan has never referred a decision to the Arc. Be like Dave!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
They have gone with extra field umpires. Surely cheaper in the long run to invest in state of the art tech than extra people.
Except that "state of the art tech" is a figment of the imagination of Eddie Maguire or some of his TV exec mates.

A good pair of eyes connected to a human brain is the more efficient technology and definitely cheaper.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Except that "state of the art tech" is a figment of the imagination of Eddie Maguire or some of his TV exec mates.

A good pair of eyes connected to a human brain is the more efficient technology and definitely cheaper.
You nailed it YT.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Tech would be way cheaper than a whole lot of extra goal umpires over multiple years was my point. Can agree to disagree - we can estimate the labor cost but i don’t have a project estimate to compare it against so it’s more of a guess that you can get something good vs maybe a $1million a year going up with cpi forever.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Tech would be way cheaper than a whole lot of extra goal umpires over multiple years was my point. Can agree to disagree - we can estimate the labor cost but i don’t have a project estimate to compare it against so it’s more of a guess that you can get something good vs maybe a $1million a year going up with cpi forever.
And you still have to pay the blokes inventing, operating and interpreting the so-called technology.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
You don’t need advanced technology or extra umpires to fix this problem.
Simple change of rules will do. AFL like changing rules, but unlike the previous several years worth of mess, this easy and actually solves a problem.

If the ball hits the post and goes through between the big sticks, it’s a goal.
If the ball hits the post and goes through on the other side, it’s a point.
If the ball hits the post and rebounds back into the playing area, it’s a point.

Easy. No extra tech or umps required.

Every other code has this - soccer, gridiron, rugby, league. None have a penalty if the ball hits the bar/upright/post before going across the goal line.

Simples

Reactions: 1 users

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
You don’t need advanced technology or extra umpires to fix this problem.
Simple change of rules will do. AFL like changing rules, but unlike the previous several years worth of mess, this easy and actually solves a problem.

If the ball hits the post and goes through between the big sticks, it’s a goal.
If the ball hits the post and goes through on the other side, it’s a point.
If the ball hits the post and rebounds back into the playing area, it’s a point.

Easy. No extra tech or umps required.

Every other code has this - soccer, gridiron, rugby, league. None have a penalty if the ball hits the bar/upright/post before going across the goal line.

Simples
I hear what you are saying, but how does it help a system that allows a video referee with rubbish footage to state that without any doubt a football was travelling directly over a post, and if that post was longer it would definitely have hit it?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I hear what you are saying, but how does it help a system that allows a video referee with rubbish footage to state that without any doubt a football was travelling directly over a post, and if that post was longer it would definitely have hit it?
Umpire's call.

This in addition to Larry's suggestions make the game consistent across all league's & levels. No technology required!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Easy solved ….just have 50 metre high posts :LOL:

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Goal umpires decision.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
True to an extent however we were also finding ways to lose against ordinary sides too , GC NM freo draw , all exposed our underbelly , we’ve moved on and hopefully addressed our weakest link
Better coaching support especially defensive mechanisms. We were very poor in that aspect at times. Truck is the man.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah nah. Position of goal umpire was ok. Just force them to make a decision and leave it at that. The more involved, the murkier it gets. Umpires make mistakes all the time. The arc is a total waste of money and source of frustration. Give the arc money to charity and we can all move on.
I don’t mind the arc. It does it’s job if it stays in it’s lane of 100% conclusive. The wheels fall off when they’re using triangulation with footage that doesn’t exist.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah the AFL website top 50 moments of 2022 had at least 10 close games listed. The final decided by a kick with a dubious arc decision didn’t get a mention.

• Angry