Are we compensated when our VFL players get drafted by other clubs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are we compensated when our VFL players get drafted by other clubs?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
In the WAFL, if a player is drafted to the AFL the WAFL club gets direct financial compensation.

Does that happen with our VFL side?

Be interested if anyone knows.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
There's certainly a program where Victorian country and suburban clubs get a payment when someone is drafted and plays milestones of games but it is very small and not sure if it applies to VFL clubs.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
In the WAFL, if a player is drafted to the AFL the WAFL club gets direct financial compensation.

Does that happen with our VFL side?

Be interested if anyone knows.
It's an interesting question, the stand alone, non AFL aligned clubs probably do. I suppose it depends on how long the player was with them. Some players are used as top up players.

Massimo D'Ambrosio who the Bombers pinched off us in the mid-season draft had only played a handful of games with us. He also played games for the Western Jets this year too.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Whether they are or not there probably is an argument that they should be although that could be different for the standalone clubs rather than the AFL affiliated ones.
Maybe there could be some preference to an AFL affiliated club in picking a player in the vfl program in the draft and rookie draft if they have been on the vfl list for a period of 2 years or more, or something like that?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I remember we signed Tyrone Downie to our VFL side & before he had played a game he was poached by Gold Coast Suns