Ash Barty Retires?! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ash Barty Retires?!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not much of a tennis fan. Big fan of the way Ash goes about tennis and more importantly her life.
Done well all round has Ash, there's so many in elite sport that have their sport n pretty much bugger all else in their lives, can't move on or do anything else.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I never thought she’d be one of these players who hung around for a long time. I hoped she might go for the set at the US Open, but it doesn’t surprise me a lot. She’s one of those rare players for whom the tennis isn’t everything. Great way to go out, on top and her last match is a winning Slam final.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Couldn't believe it when I heard it too. Too soon Ash? She might do a Tom Brady who knows.
She's pulled the pin on Tennis twice now.

Probably feels right now that she returned to tennis after giving it the arse and had a serious go at it.

She got the ultimate success along the way and probably realised that she was right the first time around and that she was good/great at tennis but didn't enjoy the whole circus that goes with it.

Nick Kyrgios is a supremely talented player a dominantly talented player that does not actually enjoy what he is doing.

When it becomes just a job its easy to walk away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
She's pulled the pin on Tennis twice now.

Probably feels right now she had another crack and got some serious success, maybe she just wants to try something else.
Yeah looks like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of her reason is that women's tennis is not very competitive at top level. I reckon it would've been better to see Ash and Serena at peak together.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah looks like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of her reason is that women's tennis is not very competitive at top level. I reckon it would've been better to see Ash and Serena at peak together.
All the Covid BS during travelling would no doubt have made it all much less enjoyable and laborious.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Ash aside I reckon there would have been more than a few expletives in the AO offices today.
Finally an Australian wins the title, is no1 in the world & then pulls the pin at 25 years old.
Will cost the tournament millions.

Still onya Ash.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Ash aside I reckon there would have been one than a few expletives in the AO offices today.
Finally an Australian wins the title, is no1 in the world & then pulls the pin at 25 years old.
Will cost the tournament millions.

Still onya Ash.
Absolutely they would be spewing mate great observation.

Makes me admire even more !!

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Seriously though, after presenting the 2020 Premiership Cup to her beloved Tigers and our beloved Skipper Chimp, it would be hard for her to top that ..... :))

Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I'm sure I've read somewhere she would like to play AFLW, with Richmond, when she finished with tennis.
Admittedly, that may have been on PRE so, take with a grain of salt.
Would be a boost to the AFLW though.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm sure I've read somewhere she would like to play AFLW, with Richmond, when she finished with tennis.

What's Ash's login name on PRE?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Reckon she will be back at some stage.

What a sportsperson though. Bravo on your achievements.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
She joked about it during a post match interview with her great mate Casey Dellacqua during the 2021 AO.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Maybe she wasn't joking?
Pretty sure she was. She suggested that she and Dellacqua were a package deal, despite the fact that Casey was 36 years old at the time, has never shown any real interest in any sport other than tennis and is a Carlton supporter.