Ash Barty Retires?! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ash Barty Retires?!

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Just heard that Ash has retired?

Maybe AFLW is her next challenge? :unsure:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Woooaaahhh!!

Lost drive, feels spent and wants to do other things.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Woooaaahhh!!

Lost drive, feels spent and wants to do other things.
For sure. Any multitude or combination of reasons. Who knows, engaged to be married, building her dream home, may have even found out she's pregnant and it makes the timing right in her mind, if she was already waning and retirement had been circling in her thoughts.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
What Leysy posted was what she said in todays announcement PT.

The other one was she has achieved all she has wanted to.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
What Leysy posted was what she said in todays announcement PT.

The other one was she has achieved all she has wanted to.
Ah ok, gotchya. I jumped the gun after the initial news stories stated simply that she was retiring and said, "more to come....."

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You've got to admire someone that can step away at the very top of her game. Winning the Aussie Open would be the pinnacle you'd guess. Nothing would top it. A bit like our 2017. 2019 was good, 2020 was great, but 2017 is still the pinnacle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
You've got to admire someone that can step away at the very top of her game. Winning the Aussie Open would be the pinnacle you'd guess. Nothing would top it. A bit like our 2017. 2019 was good, 202 was great, but 2017 is still the pinnacle.
Yeah absolute legend, retiring at the peak of her marketing value too, doesn't give a rat's about cash forgone.

Wimbledon was the cake AO just the icing and presenting the 2020 Premiership Cup to Trent and Dimma just absolute joy! :)

Well done Ash!

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
You've got to admire someone that can step away at the very top of her game. Winning the Aussie Open would be the pinnacle you'd guess. Nothing would top it. A bit like our 2017. 2019 was good, 202 was great, but 2017 is still the pinnacle.
There's probably some supporters that feel they should have stepped away at the pinnacle, given the deflating disinterest that can develop, coming down from the highs, when the era inevitably draws to a close. :unsure:

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Good on her for doing what’s right for herself, rather than what’s expected. She’s stepping away when she’s never been harder to beat.

So do we get her as some kind of Cat B rookie? We can’t risk another club swooping.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Knowing Ash and her love of Footy and the Tigers, there's a pretty good chance she'll by invited down to a training session or two to see whether she's got what it takes. That or she'll just go back to cricket.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I'm a dumb bloke in my 60s and I still don't have the emotional intelligence Ash has ...... Legend!

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
It's a big loss for Australian tennis but you've got to admire her conviction.

I'm holding out some hope that she'll change her mind and return to the game, as she did once before. Perhaps just needs a few seasons of AFLW with the Tigers to rekindle her interest in the tennis ;)

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Congrats Tiger Ash!
Great career. Achieved so much. :clap2

I guess now you can as Chairman Dan would say: "Get on the Beers!"
Put your feet up with an ale at the G watching the mighty ones run amok.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I’m tipping Ash might like to try her hand at AFLW for her beloved RFC she’s achieved what she wanted too at those capers why not pull into the Tigers guernsey if she wanted too I reckon she”d be accommodated if she got the skill set and as a dominant natural athlete she’s probably kick assay that too!!

Cheers Ash Barry you bloody star !!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Couldn't believe it when I heard it too. Too soon Ash? She might do a Tom Brady who knows.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
What a champion - and her timing is perfect. Leave when at her pinnacle and number 1 in the world.

Obviously driven by higher ideals rather than just cash - can she inspire our Cotch, Jack and Edwards to reach that pinnacle one last time before bowing out.

Reactions: 1 user