Attrition and the four champions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Attrition and the four champions

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Despite being a great champion I’m not sure I agree on the decision to give Bachar another year tbh. Repeated calf strains would have seen his GF heroics as a timely exit.
Has he officially re-signed yet?

Jack has another year in him but we really need to start seeing a transition now. The like of Balta, CCJ or Chol need opportunities to improve up fwd if they’re to take over. I think Jack will be very hard to replace though. Just such a smart player with burning desire.

Cotch has another 2 left (if he wants it) but he too will start to be managed. Another virtually irreplaceable in terms of big moment leadership & club culture.

Shedda is immortal.
I think the time off this year may also freshen Shedda up a bit. The other 3 are going to be very hard to replace, but then again we thought that about Rance.

Reactions: 1 user

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Despite being a great champion I’m not sure I agree on the decision to give Bachar another year tbh. Repeated calf strains would have seen his GF heroics as a timely exit.

Jack has another year in him but we really need to start seeing a transition now. The like of Balta, CCJ or Chol need opportunities to improve up fwd if they’re to take over. I think Jack will be very hard to replace though. Just such a smart player with burning desire.

Cotch has another 2 left (if he wants it) but he too will start to be managed. Another virtually irreplaceable in terms of big moment leadership & club culture.

Shedda is immortal.
Just imagine how good Shedda will be when he reaches his peak in another 3 or 4 years!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Agree with the others. Shedda has many more years left. Burgoyne like longevity I reckon

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012

Shedda is immortal.

I'm 50-50 on Bachar. Maybe he warrants 2021 based on his three GF heroics. Plus, he such an important mentor about the Club.

I'm hoping JR (my favourite player for a while) has another two years in him, but he'll have to be managed via some mini breaks to get him to the end of 2022. Maybe could be a great 'utility player' (if such a position/spot still exists). Great players rarely lose their footy smarts, just their ability to execute as time marches on. Maybe as a then four-time premiership player he may want to depart on an absolute high in 2021.

You're so spot on about the Skipper. Will forever be one of the most revered Tigers.

Ditto Edwards. Such a mighty player that has had me, year after year, eating my words (and slapping my forehead for some of my earlier idiocy)..

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
In terms of output, all bar Sheds are past their peak in my uninformed keyboard opinion.

I think we now get C-level output from Jack, B-level from Cotch and Bachar, and A-level from Sheds.

Arguably Jack's career is being extended by the presence of Tom Lynch. They compliment each other well and Jack is able to benefit from Tom's heavy lifting. Jack is still contributing adequately. Personally it was the decision not to operate on his knee in early 2019 that will impact his final years the most. However it did get him a 2019 medal and therefore paid off.

I am expecting it is Bachar's last year, Jack 1-2 years, Cotch 2 years and Sheds 3+ years.

No disrespect to Bachar, but I think he is the easiest to replace and Short/Baker to some extent have already stepped up and filled the gap. Bachar is an elite distributor which Short/Baker are very good at, although not elite. It is clear Bachar will be around the club for many years to come through his foundation work.

Flaggy Flaggy Flaggy, you are barking up the wrong tree my friend. C-level? Jack? Adequate? Jack? Have you been watching the same games I have?