Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Should Australia Day be on the 26th of January or should it be moved to another date?

Current & controversial topic. Some refer to it as Australia Day, others as Invasion Day.

My personal opinion FWIW is that it should be moved as a respect to the first nations people.
However finding the right date that everyone is happy with remains an issue & will create it's own controversies.
If we become a Republic then for me that would be the right time as it will unite all Australians.
For mine though a date change is only part of the conversation that needs to be had.

Others will have their own views.

Reactions: 6 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Couldn‘t care what day it is but should be a day that everyone feels comfortable with.

25th September was a pretty special day in the Nation’s history - Cathy Freeman day.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Australia as a nation can't escape its imperial past, hence moving the date of Australia Day won't appease the people that call it invasion day, (the number of which seems to increase every year). Attempts to unify are ultimately futile. What Australian's need is to recognise that this is an issue of sovereignty. What we need are procedures of succession so people can break away from a political union they deem unfit to serve them.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Should Australia Day be on the 26th of January or should it be moved to another date?

Current & controversial topic. Some refer to it as Australia Day, others as Invasion Day.

My personal opinion FWIW is that it should be moved as a respect to the first nations people.
However finding the right date that everyone is happy with remains an issue & will create it's own controversies.
If we become a Republic then for me that would be the right time as it will unite all Australians.
For mine though a date change is only part of the conversation that needs to be had.

changing th date shouldnt be tied to finding another date. that was the tactic those want us to remain subjects of the queen or a future king charles used to stop Australia from becoming a Republic despte majority support.
nor should it be linked to becoming a Republic, again that will just cause further division.

i cannot see any reason to keep it on the day that commerates the date the poor people on the 1st fleet did not have a flash day landing in SYdney.

i really think it is an issue people oppose for the sake of opposing change, or because they dont want Indigenous Australias to have a "win". if celebrating the meaning of Australia Day is so important, i am sure the celebration will be equally important on a different date.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Australia as a nation can't escape its imperial past, hence moving the date of Australia Day won't appease the people that call it invasion day, (the number of which seems to increase every year). Attempts to unify are ultimately futile. What Australian's need is to recognise that this is an issue of sovereignty. What we need are procedures of succession so people can break away from a political union they deem unfit to serve them.
i am pleased that you are able to work in your spiel into a thread about a public holiday.
you might want to be a little careful tho because without government there can be no public holidays. i dont think the masses will support any movement that doesnt give them paid days off.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
i really think it is an issue people oppose for the sake of opposing change, or because they dont want Indigenous Australias to have a "win".
Can't speak for others but you'd be 100% wrong in my case. More than happy for another date to be selected but I'd just like it to mean something other than a random date.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If they’re going to do it properly then not only does the date need to change so does the name and the focus of the day. If they don’t do that then there will be sections of the community that will always see/refer to it as Invasion Day (that will happen anyway, but there will be less of them). Just changing the date will be seen as a token gesture.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Can't speak for others but you'd be 100% wrong in my case. More than happy for another date to be selected but I'd just like it to mean something other than a random date.
so you celebrate Australia Day because it is the date the first fleet landed? and if we moved the date to say March 1, you think the meaning of the day would be reduced for you?
I would really be surprised if that was the case. i am speaking as someone who couldnt care about Australia Day (I work for myself so dont even get a paid day off!), but i cannot see how those who do celebrate it relate it to the landing, rather than the country Australia has become over its entire journey.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
i really think it is an issue people oppose for the sake of opposing change, or because they dont want Indigenous Australias to have a "win". if celebrating the meaning of Australia Day is so important, i am sure the celebration will be equally important on a different date.
I saw a tweet from Sky news quoting Peta Credlin who said that it is just another ploy by the left elitists to undermine Australia's cultural institutions. That's the sort of garbage that is being spouted about this. This has got nothing to do with left wing , right wing or any other wing.

To me it is very simple, it is about respect. Respect for our indigenous peoples who don't see it is an appropriate day to celebrate the nation. It will not solve the issues but it is at least one small step along the way.

Reactions: 6 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia

We have to be bigger people. The 26th is historically a terrible day for many people and it has virtually no tradition anyway. It was created in the 94.

Move it and have everyone celebrate. Why is this so hard?

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If it means it will help to unify the nation and we can find a date that all people want to celebrate (including our indigenous population) then there would be no opposition from me.

Reactions: 1 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
You can never make 100% of people happy, any day that is chosen will upset some, and some will be upset as long as we have an Australia day.

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020
Move it to the 25th. If it falls on the weekend move it to the 24th or 27th. My point is we change the date already whenever it suits.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Strictly speaking it should be on 1st of January, that's the date the six colonies became the Federation of "Australia".
We know that won't happen because it's New Years day, so we need to find a day that's more acceptable.

How about the 1st Monday in February, it's not tied to any particular "happening".
Call it Federation Day

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I’m comfortable with where it is and what it marks, but if it will put an end to protests etc and get everyone on the same page then I’m amenable to a change.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
so you celebrate Australia Day because it is the date the first fleet landed? and if we moved the date to say March 1, you think the meaning of the day would be reduced for you?
I'd prefer March 1st to January 26th. However I'd prefer the day we became a Republic to March 1st.
Australia Day needs to mean something, it needs to unify the nation as one & I can't think of a better day than when we become truly independent of England.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Someone I work with suggested the last day of summer for Australia Day and I thought that was a fair call. And just move it forward if it falls on weekend.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I saw a tweet from Sky news quoting Peta Credlin who said that it is just another ploy by the left elitists to undermine Australia's cultural institutions. That's the sort of garbage that is being spouted about this. This has got nothing to do with left wing , right wing or any other wing.

But now it has everything to do with left vs right. Nearly every issue in this *smile* up world at the moment is divided between left and right. If the left support it, the right will fight it. If the right support it, the left will fight it. It doesn't really matter what "it" is. Many who a decade ago wouldn't really care, or have strong feelings about an issue, are now adamant their sides way is the only way.

FWIW I really don't care what date Australia Day is, as long as it's in summer, ideally a long weekend and there's plenty of sport to watch.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Someone I work with suggested the last day of summer for Australia Day and I thought that was a fair call. And just move it forward if it falls on weekend.
Used to always be the last Monday of January. My mum said it was called ANA weekend, which was a big financial institution. I think it was Howard said it had to be the 26th regardless of the day of the week it fell on.