Australian Economics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australian Economics

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Have you ever tried to use your FF points with those aholes ? It’s basically a con job. They make next to no flights available for you to use them on (unless you’re Platinum) and then if you can use them, it’s an absurd flight time and duration.

I’ve been Platinum and Gold in the past but I’m just Lifetime Silver now. Tried to use about 210,000 worth of points for some overseas flights to LA a few weeks ago but the only flights available were going via Hong Kong !!! and taking over 20 hours longer than standard.

They also regularly punt FF flyers off their booked flights and sell the seats to other passengers.

Apparently the ACCC has been asked to investigate the whole Qantas FF Program. Hopefully they do.
I had a large amount of FF points just get wiped because I didn’t spend them. I didn’t know that was a thing.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I had a large amount of FF points just get wiped because I didn’t spend them. I didn’t know that was a thing.
And that’s what they want to do to thousands of FF flyers who couldn’t use their points during Covid.

So, they make it near impossible to use them in the first place and then provide no time credit when you couldn’t because of Covid either. Unreal.

That’s why FF flyers are up in arms and there’s calls for the whole program to be investigated. From memory it already has been and they had to make changes. But Joyce being Joyce and the nasty person he is, he just can’t help himself so there’s calls again.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

That's always the risk. For spending I've found a credit card that collects points that don't expire, then you can transfer to Mile when you need them. Points from flights always have a time limit but SQ has a decent length and during COVID they kept extending the expiry date so all good

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Isn't this exactly what our Super is? Our savings that Scumo allowed us to access if needed during covid which thoroughly outraged Labor n the Super funds to the point where Elbows Knees n Charming are now gunna change the rules so that we can never access more than a dribble of some of our money after we retire?

No,

Superannuation is for retirement income. The savings proposal by Keynes was to restrict demand (which is what raising interest rates is supposed to do) when there is inflation and the savings are released to those who put the money in to encourage increased demand (like reducing interest rates) when the economy is not growing. The main difference is where the money goes and where it ends up. Under the interest rate method the money goes to banks who increase their profits, with the compulsory saving idea the money is compulsorily saved and returns to the person who earned it when the inflation is under control.

Of course, no government would have the guts to do this and the right wing media would go apesh!t with a scare campaign. But, really, it would be much better for 99% of people than the way inflation is dealt with at the moment.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Isn't this exactly what our Super is? Our savings that Scumo allowed us to access if needed during covid which thoroughly outraged Labor n the Super funds to the point where Elbows Knees n Charming are now gunna change the rules so that we can never access more than a dribble of some of our money after we retire?

Geez, the right wing media have spun this story very well, haven’t they? It’s a bit like the franking credits saga that got people to vote Liberal in 2019, even though they have never owned shares.

The mega rich are using super as a tax haven. There is something like 90,000 people with $2 million or more in super that will be affected by any potential changes Chalmers is talking about. It makes total sense and you have nothing to worry about.

What worries me far more is the estimated 66% of the working population that has less than $100,000 in super. That really, really shocked me. And reinforces to me once and for all that governments should never allow people to access their super unless in extreme circumstances (ie. a terminal illness diagnosis).

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Geez, the right wing media have spun this story very well, haven’t they? It’s a bit like the franking credits saga that got people to vote Liberal in 2019, even though they have never owned shares.

The mega rich are using super as a tax haven. There is something like 90,000 people with $2 million or more in super that will be affected by any potential changes Chalmers is talking about. It makes total sense and you have nothing to worry about.

What worries me far more is the estimated 66% of the working population that has less than $100,000 in super. That really, really shocked me. And reinforces to me once and for all that governments should never allow people to access their super unless in extreme circumstances (ie. a terminal illness diagnosis).

Only 36,000 with balances above $3M, sort of wish it was more. Probably not going to raise enough money is the only issue. They should be more aggressive.

Hopefully they do introduce some changes, "cheap" housing, free education & super concessions have allowed so many in the 55 plus age bracket to create comfortable financial positions.

Agree with making accessing super harder, I know heaps of people that got $20,000 out during covid and wasted it. It was a free for all. Sometimes you need to protect people from themselves. A guy who works part-time for us has a gambling problem. He is currently living in his car after accessing his super and blowing it. He is late 40's.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

Only 36,000 with balances above $3M, sort of wish it was more. Probably not going to raise enough money is the only issue. They should be more aggressive.

Hopefully they do introduce some changes, "cheap" housing, free education & super concessions have allowed so many in the 55 plus age bracket to create comfortable financial positions.

Agree with making accessing super harder, I know heaps of people that got $20,000 out during covid and wasted it. It was a free for all. Sometimes you need to protect people from themselves. A guy who works part-time for us has a gambling problem. He is currently living in his car after accessing his super and blowing it. He is late 40's.

It seems with money some paternalism is a good thing. It should be more efficient than raising tax and then paying benefits to people who have retired but I think the issue is a lot of people can't do basic maths so just haven't done the sums to show what it needs to be self sufficient.

Getting your super and blowing it on gambling is just depressing - but also feeds the whole system for shareholders in gambling companies who get a nice dividend. Super in general relies on the infinite growth model of capitalism which in itself can't work forever but probably more in the 50-300 year timescale..

I read once that the ability to delay gratification is what separates humans from animals.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Negative Gearing is a bigger rort that needs to be fixed. But no government: a) has the balls and b) most politicians would be using it to increase their wealth

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Agree with making accessing super harder, I know heaps of people that got $20,000 out during covid and wasted it.

I'm approaching late 40s. I have 19.5 work years left if I wanna retire at 67. But I am targeting 62 (it’ll realistically be somewhere in between).

Taking out the $20,000 during COVID was never a consideration for me. It would mean delaying my retirement by 1-2 years. My partner is a few years older than me, so the earlier I can retire, the better. If I can’t retire at 62, then I hope I am working on reduced hours

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Negative Gearing is a bigger rort that needs to be fixed. But no government: a) has the balls and b) most politicians would be using it to increase their wealth
Yeh, one almost wants the property market to collapse so there is some punishment to those taking advantage of it. It only works when the underlying asset rises in price.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I think its small fry - You could minimise the tax aspect / cap it a certain amount but still allow any accumulated losses to be deducted off any capital gain (which would be fair). If you took it away rents will have to increase and/or property values decrease a little - but I think net effect will basically be most of the negative gearing saving by the government will get passed on to the renter and a small bit drops because property prices drop a little.

Inheriting assets without capital gains is the mega loophole though. Not negative gearing. Concentrates capital with those families who already have it.
We also have complete capital gains exemptions on PPOR which is a big loophole as renters don't get this benefit - also concentrating capital with those who already have it.

I like these rules because they benefit me, and self interest is a hard one to overcome but it's not hard to see what they do at a macro level.
They do reward saving, paying off your debt and being responsible with your money though. They also reward your kids if you never sell your property. They clearly reward anyone who has a parent who owned their property. Tatslotto in disguise.

Capital gains on PPOR would however I think have very bad externalities and freeze (much like stamp duty does) the desire of people to move - because basically its a tax on moving house. I think we are better off slowly moving to a broadly based land tax on any PPOR. Given it would be based on the value of the property then as its value rises, the amount of tax would also rise meaning if you are overcapitalised (single person living in a 10 bedroom) then you are more likely to downsize.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Negative Gearing has had a significant impact in the ridiculous levels house prices are in Australia. I've always felt an easy fix is to ring fence negative gearing to a single asset. Allowing claims to be made against the revenue that investment property makes. Not pooling negative gearing across multiple assets.

Reactions: 4 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Negative Gearing has had a significant impact in the ridiculous levels house prices are in Australia. I've always felt an easy fix is to ring fence negative gearing to a single asset. Allowing claims to be made against the revenue that investment property makes. Not pooling negative gearing across multiple assets.
Excellent call.

Or just limit it to one property only.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
No,

Superannuation is for retirement income. The savings proposal by Keynes was to restrict demand (which is what raising interest rates is supposed to do) when there is inflation and the savings are released to those who put the money in to encourage increased demand (like reducing interest rates) when the economy is not growing. The main difference is where the money goes and where it ends up. Under the interest rate method the money goes to banks who increase their profits, with the compulsory saving idea the money is compulsorily saved and returns to the person who earned it when the inflation is under control.

Of course, no government would have the guts to do this and the right wing media would go apesh!t with a scare campaign. But, really, it would be much better for 99% of people than the way inflation is dealt with at the moment.

DS
So on top of the 12% of wages forced savings of Super, from which the Super funds make gazillions in fees n charges whether they make money or not. Plus the various Govts lining up like dirty cockaroaches constantly fiddling n nibbling away at the Super regulations and taxes.
This Keynes bloke reckons it would be a great idea to force us to save an even further % of our earnings in another special form of managed fee gouging fund so we can spend it when some Govt cockaroach decides the economy's struggling enough that we can have permission to spend our savings to fix the economy.
Yeah Nah. Rather take my own chances with my money.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So on top of the 12% of wages forced savings of Super, from which the Super funds make gazillions in fees n charges whether they make money or not. Plus the various Govts lining up like dirty cockaroaches constantly fiddling n nibbling away at the Super regulations and taxes.
This Keynes bloke reckons it would be a great idea to force us to save an even further % of our earnings in another special form of managed fee gouging fund so we can spend it when some Govt cockaroach decides the economy's struggling enough that we can have permission to spend our savings to fix the economy.
Yeah Nah. Rather take my own chances with my money.

Yeah, but taking this not on an individual level, what you are effectively saying is that rather than forced savings we just give the money to the banks, that is what raising interest rates does..

Fine if that is your opinion, but I would prefer to get the money back later than just give it to the banks.

DS

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sorry mate, this just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Private super funds yes, they charge too much and they perform below par. But the industry funds, the biggest ones by far and the ones that anyone with a brain is in, are not for profit and have delivered good returns for decades. My industry fund is extremely good. Been with them 20 years and constantly impressed and surprised at how well they do. Their fees are low, and their performance is high.

The Coalition hates them because their mates in the banking industry don't get a cut, or at least the extortionate cut that they feel entitled to, and they empower workers.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

With only 36,000 balances of over $3mill, it's gunna cost the Govt more to administer the cap than they'll claw back.
Wonder if the Govt will allow for inflation regarding their cap level. Twenty years time from now $3mill will only be worth the equivalent of $2mill now, bet the bastards don't.

Damn, musta forgot to hit post on this comment last night. Tonight's news the Govt wont be indexing the cap for inflation, so in twenty years time there's gunna be a shitload more people cracking the $3mill cap n paying more tax on their super n in fifty years time everyone will be paying more tax on their $3 mill super which will by then be worth not much at all. Same system as the old tax bracket creep as wages increased, more n more people on basic incomes hoovered up into the pay more net.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
TM there are no votes in tax indexation, but plenty of votes in tax cuts.

They will index it occasionally, but it won't be automatic or regular, they will do it as an announceable and call it a tax cut. Politics 101, get a good headline out of it.

In any case, it is good policy, those with huge super balances don't need the tax concessions, and 3 million is way more than you need.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
TM there are no votes in tax indexation, but plenty of votes in tax cuts.

They will index it occasionally, but it won't be automatic or regular, they will do it as an announceable and call it a tax cut. Politics 101, get a good headline out of it.

In any case, it is good policy, those with huge super balances don't need the tax concessions, and 3 million is way more than you need.

DS
Can’t disagree with 3 million being more than enough. If you live to 100 and just spend it down and assume you keep growing what you have left at inflation it’s 75 k/year of after tax money for someone who probably owns their own property.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
With only 36,000 balances of over $3mill, it's gunna cost the Govt more to administer the cap than they'll claw back.
Wonder if the Govt will allow for inflation regarding their cap level. Twenty years time from now $3mill will only be worth the equivalent of $2mill now, bet the bastards don't.

Damn, musta forgot to hit post on this comment last night. Tonight's news the Govt wont be indexing the cap for inflation, so in twenty years time there's gunna be a shitload more people cracking the $3mill cap n paying more tax on their super n in fifty years time everyone will be paying more tax on their $3 mill super which will by then be worth not much at all. Same system as the old tax bracket creep as wages increased, more n more people on basic incomes hoovered up into the pay more net.
Only 2 mill. That's a disgrace. Elder abuse. I wouldn't even bother collecting it.