Australian Flag banned at the BDO | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australian Flag banned at the BDO

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
tigersnake said:
struggletown3121 said:
I went to every BDO until last year dating back to 1999 and didn't see any gangs let alone any gangs with Australian flags.
Pissed and stoned youths galore I grant you ( drug problems anyone?) but militant nationals? :rofl

I agree.  Thats what I've been saying all through this thread, lots of boofheads wearing the Aussie flag as a cape at whatever event you care to name is a new thing.  Most on here semm to be saying the aussie flag is always a good thing no matter how its used and who is using it.  I say I don't like seeing violent thugs draped in our national flag.  It is happening a lot ST.  We aren't discussing a phantom phenomenon, or something that 1 or 2 people do. 

I also completely agree on the rolling laughing head re. militant nationals.  They are'nt militant nationals, militant national tend to be a bit organised.  These blokes are generally just pissed violent thugs using the flag to gain some approval.

Its time you isolated the violent thugs from the flag then snake.
The flag is to be cherished for the place we live in (remembering i'd vote out the Bwitish relic part too) and those who have done us proud at the highest levels of their fields.
It is representative of us and I do take pride in that and what it represents.
Denying a civil right on the celebration of our National day is an extreme measure to prevent a hypothetical situation at best.

No one supports the thugs or their ill intentions, get rid of that problem and ther's no problem...end of.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
tigersnake said:
I agree. Thats what I've been saying all through this thread, lots of boofheads wearing the Aussie flag as a cape at whatever event you care to name is a new thing. Most on here semm to be saying the aussie flag is always a good thing no matter how its used and who is using it. I say I don't like seeing violent thugs draped in our national flag. It is happening a lot ST. We aren't discussing a phantom phenomenon, or something that 1 or 2 people do.

Let's ban flannies too while we are at it. Stubbies and moccassins out.
I'm sure I've seen plenty of thugs wearing this apparel.
Heck they all wear underpants(I think), let's get rid of them too!

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
rosy23 said:
the claw said:
wasnt going to post until the krakouer thread is unlocked but....

It's not going to happen santa. You're just cutting your nose off to spite your face.  You've had more comebacks than Lazarus so why not accept the forum isn't always going to be 100% how any of us want it personally, stop sulking, and get on with things like the rest of us do when things don't go our way?
not sulking rosmerta protesting. but you are right its a protest i cant win and i am indeed cutting my nose of to spite my face. it is indeed time to get on with things.

on the subject no other countries flags should be tolerated you are either australian or you are not. we dont need our noses rubbed in the dirt by immigrants who are quite clearly more closely tied to the place of their parents or grandparents place of birth than they are to australia.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Liverpool said:
To have it discouraged on Australia Day weekend, is the cherry on top of the cake.
Can you think of any other nation on this planet, where every other flag is given more right than its own nation's flag?
We are a laughing stock....and I'd be laughing too, if something like this wasn't so serious.

Liverpool, as is usually the case, your fundamental premise is incorrect.  If you can't see that, theres no piont arguing.  Do you honestly believe that foreign flags are given more rights than the Australian Flag in AustraliaThat has gotta be up there with the top 5 most implausible statements I've ever read on PRE.

No point arguing?
That's because you have no argument, Tigersnake.

YES, foreign flags have been given more rights than the Australian Flag in Australia.
hello? are we on air here? ???
The BDO organisers banned/discouraged the AUSTRALIAN flag from being brought to the concert.....if you have a Croat, Serb, Lebanese, Aboriginal, Yank, Pom, or any other flag...you're most welcome to bring them.....but if you bring an Aussie flag to the Sydney BDO....you're out of line, a disgrace, a thug, a yobbo, and part of a gang!
So yes, I do believe foreign flags have been given more rights than the Australian flag in Australia....the BDO have shown not only how ridiculous they are, but how predjudicial, bigoted, and racist they are by singling out one particular flag, and preferring others...therefore giving them more rights.
Now you can take my comment from your top-5 implausible comments line, can't you? :p

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
tigersnake said:
I agree.  Thats what I've been saying all through this thread, lots of boofheads wearing the Aussie flag as a cape at whatever event you care to name is a new thing.  Most on here semm to be saying the aussie flag is always a good thing no matter how its used and who is using it.  I say I don't like seeing violent thugs draped in our national flag.  It is happening a lot ST.  We aren't discussing a phantom phenomenon, or something that 1 or 2 people do.

Let's ban flannies too while we are at it. Stubbies and moccassins out.
I'm sure I've seen plenty of thugs wearing this apparel.
Heck they all wear underpants(I think), let's get rid of them too!

Hey girls, don't wear any skirts............

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
struggletown3121 said:
I do question how you can bring yourself to live out here sometimes Ready......one day we'll get a post about the virtues of Australia won't we? :headscratch

A lot of the time you have to be able to hate something in order to be able to love it. At the same time I am currently in the one part of the country I would countenance living in at this stage, and that's not something I see changing.

I count myself very fortunate to have citizenship of two countries, permanent residency in a third location and to have had an upbringing immersed in three cultures rather than one. For me growing up overseas gave me a perspective I'd be lost without.

If I had my way I would divide my time between Melbourne and London but that is simply not feasible; not unless my nefarious criminal enterprise gets off the ground.

I will probably go within the next two years, and I will probably return, having complained a lot about the high cost of living, missing the Tiges and the chavs in the high street. Then I might go back again. Eventually something will happen to force my hand one way or the other, but right now my life is in a fluid phase.

The fact that I am both a pom and a convict is something that has been the way things are as long as I can remember, and I make no apologies about it. So I hate England and I love it, and I hate Australia and I love it, because otherwise I'd be indifferent, and that's something I'm definitely not.

At the moment, however, the more I hear about how *smile* England is (not just from you), the more English I feel.

Now, to prove I have a sense of humour as well, this made me laugh quite a lot. You can't not :cutelaugh :wavey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbSIcWfLn4k

Now back to topic :wavey

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
0,,5368532,00.jpg

On a lighter note check out The Chaser's Chas Licciardello who was in court today for a stunt he pulled at an NRL game.

Very funny.:cutelaugh

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ready said:
If I had my way I would divide my time between Melbourne and London but that is simply not feasible; not unless my nefarious criminal enterprise gets off the ground.

Tell me more about this law firm that you're starting.....

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Ready said:
struggletown3121 said:
I do question how you can bring yourself to live out here sometimes Ready......one day we'll get a post about the virtues of Australia won't we? :headscratch

A lot of the time you have to be able to hate something in order to be able to love it. At the same time I am currently in the one part of the country I would countenance living in at this stage, and that's not something I see changing.

I count myself very fortunate to have citizenship of two countries, permanent residency in a third location and to have had an upbringing immersed in three cultures rather than one. For me growing up overseas gave me a perspective I'd be lost without.

I will probably go within the next two years, and I will probably return, having complained a lot about the high cost of living, missing the Tiges and the chavs in the high street. Then I might go back again. Eventually something will happen to force my hand one way or the other, but right now my life is in a fluid phase.

The fact that I am both a pom and a convict is something that has been the way things are as long as I can remember, and I make no apologies about it. So I hate England and I love it, and I hate Australia and I love it, because otherwise I'd be indifferent, and that's something I'm definitely not.

At the moment, however, the more I hear about how sh!t England is (not just from you), the more English I feel.

Now, to prove I have a sense of humour as well, this made me laugh quite a lot. You can't not  :cutelaugh :wavey

That was genuinely very humourous ready, thanks for that.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Redford said:
Ready said:

Estate agency, actually

:theyareontome

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ready said:
Redford said:
Ready said:

Estate agency, actually

:theyareontome

Geez. Goodluck. In this country alone there's about 4,000 nefarious and illegal ones ALREADY operating.......

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Organisers give flag thumbs up
January 23, 2007 05:43pm

FORGET the Big Day Out – Australia Day organisers are urging everyone to proudly fly the national flag this week.
Dismissing fears the flag could provoke racism or aggression, National Australia Day Council director Warren Pearson says displaying the flag publicly provokes pride and patriotism.
“I think a vast majority of people think the flag provokes a feeling of pride and a feeling of unity,” Mr Pearson said today.
Organisers of Thursday's Big Day Out festival in Sydney have urged music fans not to bring Australian flags, saying they were used as “gang colours” at last year's event in a show of racism and nationalism.
The call by the Big Day Out has sparked anger throughout Australia, with Prime Minister John Howard saying it was “stupid and offensive”.
Australia Day organisers say people will be allowed to bring their flags to the thousands of events throughout the country on Thursday and Friday.
Highlights include Australian of the Year awards in Canberra on Thursday and a host of parades, competitions, family picnics and live musical performances throughout the nation on Friday.

“I am part of the gang that is Australia. I have 21 million members of my gang and I am proud to be a part of that gang on Australia Day,” Mr Pearson said.
“It's your flag, it's my flag.

“And, on Australia Day, it's 21 million different people's flags to be proud of. People shouldn't be told they can't wear it, it should be encouraged at all times.”
Mr Pearson said Australia Day celebrations were about “including people, not excluding people”.

He urged Big Day Out revellers to give the festival on Thursday the flick in aid of soaking up the patriotic atmosphere of the Australia Day Live concert held annually on the lawns of the Parliament House in Canberra on Australia Day eve.
Australian Idol winner Damien Leith and popular groups, The Whitlams and TV Rock, will perform at the event broadcast live on Channel 10.
“If Big Day Out is a party that won't let you bring your flag when you want to bring it, then come to Canberra,” Mr Pearson said.
“Bring the flag, wear the flag, come dressed as swagman if you like. We don't care as long as you come and are proud to be Australian.”

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21105654-5005961,00.html

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Ready said:
The video clip or my long boring post? :headscratch

Sorry, the video clip.  Your post was far too long for my puny attention span.  It was lucky you posted the link to the video clip as a separate paragraph at the end!  ;D

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
First celebrations

On January 26, 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip took formal possession of the colony of New South Wales and became its first Governor.

The fledging colony soon began to celebrate the anniversary of this date. Manning Clarke notes that in 1808 the "anniversary of the foundation of the colony" was observed in the traditional manner with "drinking and merriment".

The first official celebrations were held in 1818 to mark the 30th anniversary of white settlement. Governor Macquarie officiated at a thirty-gun salute during the day and a dinner ball at Government House that evening

http://www.australiaday.gov.au/pages/page19.asp

Australia Day Timeline

1788 - Captain Arthur Phillip unfurls the British flag at Sydney Cove and proclaims British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia.
1808 - First recorded celebrations on 26 January.
1818 - Governor Macquarie holds the first official celebrations on 26 January, marking 30 years of white settlement.
1836 - First 'Anniversary Regatta' held on Sydney Harbour. Now called the Australia Day Regatta, it is the oldest continuous regatta in the world.
1838 - Fiftieth anniversary of Captain Phillip's landing and commencement of traditional 'Australia Day' public holiday in NSW.
1888 - Centenary celebrations for Anniversary Day.
1901 - Federation of the Commonwealth of Australia.
1931 - 'Australia Day' adopted in Victoria.
1932 - 'Australia Day' adopted in NSW, only to be reversed to 'Anniversary Day' by the incoming state government.
1935 - Commonwealth Government and all States and Territories, except NSW, adopt 'Australia Day' as the official title for our national day.
1938 - 150th anniversary celebrations across the nation.
1946 - All States and Territories celebrate January 26 as 'Australia Day'.
1960 - Sir Macfarlane Burnet named the first Australian of the Year.
1968 - Lionel Rose becomes the first Aboriginal Australian of the Year.
1979 - National Australia Day Council formed, incorporated in 1990.
1988 - Bi-centennial celebrations and for the first time a united public holiday on January 26 across the nation.
1992 - Inaugural Survival Concert held at La Perouse, now an annual event.
1994 - All States and Territories begin to celebrate Australia Day on the actual day - January 26 - for the first time.

http://www.australiaday.gov.au/pages/page20.asp

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
Ready said:
struggletown3121 said:

At the moment, however, the more I hear about how sh!t England is (not just from you), the more English I feel.

Now, to prove I have a sense of humour as well, this made me laugh quite a lot. You can't not  :cutelaugh :wavey

Agree with you in regards to different cultures rounding you.
As you know I spent 4 years abroad that were priceless, not least to show me how good I had it at home without realizing it.
I loved my time in England and remember it fondly, but it along with the USA social problems were unquantifiably worse than here.The US was worse again....the worst of all was Africa where corruption was as accepted and as common as breathing....let alone living in fear under military regimes ect.
I tend to think of the good things and the things that make me apprieciate not living in 3rd word squalor battling for exsistence I suppose and am bewildered when I see you slag Australia off on a (semi) regular basis.
I enjoy most of your posts but tire of the negativity (not just you mind) about the place.
Contrary to what you posted I've never dumped sh!t on England itself, but afforded a laugh at its cricket side this summer....don't tell me this is against the PC guidelines now is it?? :nailbiting
Im not indifferent about Australia because I love it wholeheartedly even if things aren't changing for the better in my eyes, but anyone who wants to work hard here will eventually reap rewards.Unfortunately few countries afford  their citizens this luxury, so I for one am grateful.
If I was apathetic I wouldn't be seething about some promoter dictating that he'll erase a democrtic right to celebrate Australia day with our flag.
*smile* off!!!
Being proud of your country doesn't make you a racist nationalist, thats something that rankles me endlessly, it is about appreciation of what we are fortunate enough to enjoy and to remember those who made it possible for us.

A huge group of friends who from memory come from 7 different backgrounds will all meet for a bucks party at the local cricket in a hired 12 seated spa in the outer having beers in the sun enjoying each others company and celebrate in true Australian style.......could be worse couldn't it?!

PS I enjoyed the video clip....that'd be the Poms highlights clip wouldn't it? ;D

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
struggletown3121 said:
As you know I spent 4 years abroad that were priceless, not least to show me how good I had it at home without realizing it.

Being proud of your country doesn't make you a racist nationalist, thats something that rankles me endlessly, it is about appreciation of what we are fortunate enough to enjoy and to remember those who made it possible for us.

Says it all for me Struggler. Good post.

skybeau

Tiger Champion
Mar 19, 2006
Yarragon
Liverpool said:
He urged Big Day Out revellers to give the festival on Thursday the flick in aid of soaking up the patriotic atmosphere of the Australia Day Live concert held annually on the lawns of the Parliament House in Canberra on Australia Day eve.
Australian Idol winner Damien Leith and popular groups, The Whitlams and TV Rock, will perform at the event broadcast live on Channel 10.
“If Big Day Out is a party that won't let you bring your flag when you want to bring it, then come to Canberra,” Mr Pearson said.
“Bring the flag, wear the flag, come dressed as swagman if you like. We don't care as long as you come and are proud to be Australian.” [/i]

::)

Yeah right. As if Damien Leith and TV Rock have anything on the bands at the BDO (despite the fact I'm not going to BDO cos I thought the line-up was dreadful ;) ). The Whitlams would be alright, but not on a concert stage, they'd be best in a pub somewhere. And don't forget that tix to BDO cost in excess of $100 and its in Sydney tomorrow...so you could still go to both. But no person with even half-decent music taste (and limited amounts of common sense) would consider passing up the BDO for this crappy nothing-event.

Mr Pearson, you're just stupid. Go back to your hole, my dear sir. Nice publicity attempt... :rofl

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
skybeau said:
Liverpool said:
“Bring the flag, wear the flag, come dressed as swagman if you like. We don't care as long as you come and are proud to be Australian.” [/i]

::)

Yeah right.  As if Damien Leith and TV Rock have anything on the bands at the BDO (despite the fact I'm not going to BDO cos I thought the line-up was dreadful ;) ).  The Whitlams would be alright, but not on a concert stage, they'd be best in a pub somewhere.  And don't forget that tix to BDO cost in excess of $100 and its in Sydney tomorrow...so you could still go to both.  But no person with even half-decent music taste (and limited amounts of common sense) would consider passing up the BDO for this crappy nothing-event.

Mr Pearson, you're just stupid.  Go back to your hole, my dear sir.  Nice publicity attempt...  :rofl

Skybeau,
I think the demographic of the BDO would be a bit different to the one at Parliament House.
But I think the main gist of what Mr Pearson is on about is that he is saying that Australians are most welcome to wear anything to the Canberra gig, even Aussie flags, compared to the garbage Mr West and his BDO have served up over the past few days, with his predjudicial rules and regulations about the Aussie flag.

Funnily enough, I don't think I have ever posted anything from Mr. Bolt on this forum before, even though there are a few posters who have criticised me for having similar views to him.... ;D
However, I thought I would post his view on the flag issue, as I think he hit the nail on the head:

Ban the booze
Andrew Bolt
January 24, 2007 12:00am

TIME for another useful game of "spot the real problem".

And our first contestant for 2007 is . . . Ken West, producer of the Big Day Out rock concerts.

Ken is that PR genius who wanted to ban fans at his show from flying the Australian flag, claiming it was "being used as gang colours" and that waving it was "racism disguised as patriotism".

Everyone from Prime Minister John Howard to Labor leader Kevin Rudd has since hopped into the bloke, denouncing him as just the kind of Australia-hating pilates pinko that all Decent Australians should kick and kick hard.

True, young Ken deserves all he gets, if only because he's another of those global-warming preachers up in business class, sermonising over our gassy ways while flying in his make-me-money acts from all over the world in gas-gushing jets.

But if Ken is blind to hypocrisy - and more on that later - he certainly isn't blind to the fact that his Big Day Out shows, lately, have indeed caught a nasty rash of red, white and blue hoons.

And here, Ken, we get to our game of spot the real problem. Let some Big Day Out fans first set the scene for the readers, before I put to you the big-prize question.

Kate Hall went to your Sydney show last year and told AAP: "There were a lot of violent problems last year. It was generally drunk people wearing the flag."

On your own Big Day Out chat site, a fan writes: "Last year in one of the footpaths was a group of about 30 bogans p---ing up, screaming all the the Aussie slogans and so forth . . . Then there was the drunk f---wits who were also decked out in Australian flags yelling all the s---, watching Wolfmother in stands who thought it'd be awesome to throw all their stuff at a 'Leb' on the lower level."

Another music lover last year complained in the Sydney Morning Herald: "There has been a decline of the Big Day Out from being a good-natured, inner-city indie gathering to a field day for drugged-up bogans - some of whom were reportedly forcing other attendees to 'kiss the flag' and punching those who didn't comply."

That your Sydney audience, at least, now bristles with underparented bogans out of their empty minds with drink or drugs won't surprise the University of New South Wales researchers who found that of the 1600 people they surveyed at Sydney's Big Day Out and Byron Bay's Splendour in the Grass festivals an astonishing 82 per cent had used illicit drugs.

So, Ken, it's agreed that we have at your shows some nasty drunks with a tinnie in one hand and flag in the other. But the question for you is this: What's the real problem? What's really causing the aggro? Is it the booze or the flag?

And here is where Ken this week made his boo-boo. It was the flag, he decided, that was causing otherwise gentle music lovers to act like Cronulla rioters. It must go.

Hmm. Why didn't Ken decide the real trouble was instead the booze?

Good question, dear reader. And let's consider it over here at the inflatable bar kindly erected at Ken's festival by Tooheys, one of Big Day Out's generous sponsors. Or would you prefer a Jack Daniel's, courtesy of another of Ken's sponsors?

And as we watch Big Day Out fans, tanked on Tooheys, trying to win $5000 by blearily matching the numbers on the condoms handed out by sponsor Durex, let's think again if it's really the flag that turned these promising youngsters into such unpromising barbarians.

Actually we've seen enough riots lately to have figured our flag is hardly the essential fire-starter to set alight young Australians only too flammable already.

The Christmas break has already presented us with 500 drunks brawling at Rye at New Year's Eve, 200 more fighting police at Brunswick Heads, dozens of hoons at an illegal drag race at Noble Park bashing police and trashing a store, born-here Serbs and Croats warring at the Australian Open, scores of Sudanese fighting at a street party in Keysborough, 80 members of two Lebanese clans attacking each other at a Sydney picnic, 300 Aborigines rioting in Aurukun and 60 armed people whaling into each other at a Sydney public housing estate.

Funnily enough, that last brawl was said to have been detonated by a woman at a party who changed the radio from an Aboriginal R'n'B station. So what do you reckon, Ken? Maybe it's your music that's causing all the grief.

That's a joke, Ken, but, seriously, when I rummage through this deep hell-bag of summer strife, I can't find many of those Australian flags that so scare you.

But I sure can find a hell of a lot of booze in there - and a nasty whiff of something else that you might smell, too, from your seat at the Toohey's inflatable bar.

Let me explain by reminding you of the good times when Big Day Out was still proud to fly our flag.

It wasn't that long ago - just 2004, in fact - that Ken had Kamahl out there singing Waltzing Matilda on Australia Day while draped in the flag of his adopted home. How the fans cheered.

No one from Big Day Out complained then that the flag was just being used as "gang colours" by racists.

Wearing the flag as Kamahl did seemed just as it should be - a tribute to a country that welcomes any newcomer who is pleased to join. So what changed?

Times changed. And so, sadly, have we all.

Most obviously we've had Cronulla riots of a year ago, starring oi-oi-oi yobs, wearing and waving the flag as they happily bashed a few Lebanese Australians.

Their desecration of our flag meant even I was embarrassed when my six-year-old chose to wear her own flag to last year's Commonwealth Games. "What if people think I'm making a statement," I hissed to my wife.

But, again, let's play spot the real problem.

Like the Big Day Out savages, the Cronulla rioters were awash with booze after a hot day. Check the labels on the bottles they threw.

And, again, was it really the flag that suddenly turned nice folk into ferals?

Check the back story of Cronulla and you'll see this riot of racists was, in a perverted way, a kind of riot against racism.

Here were local morons with a skinful, finally hitting back against ethnic Lebanese gangs who'd been parading on their beach, harassing women, staking out their turf and bashing lifeguards, without police doing much more than tut-tut.

And in some ways that is a metaphor for the rise of the "kiss my flag" thuggery that has driven Ken to madness.

Once, it seemed our flag couldn't offend anyone other than the most radical Aboriginal activist. Who predicted that flying it in Australia could become an act of defiance by one "gang" against the rest?

But we've come to learn that we've unravelled more than we feared. It's not just that we've raised so many Australians who seem dangerously unplugged from strong families, strong traditions, strong faith or strong communities, making them too-easy prey for some strife-merchant or recruiter.

We've also learned that we have now Australians who'd now rather fight for some foreign jihad or fly some other flag of some other cause, clan or country.

That scares a lot of people, especially the weaker, and the backlash is now in against those who threaten to pull us apart into tribes.

So, I'll ask once more: what here is the real problem? Is it just these few morons who fly our flag as a war banner, or is it the dividers who so recklessly provoked them, and managed to make our Australian flag seem the banner of just one gang among many?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21107019-5006029,00.html

Spot on Mr.Bolt.....spot on! :clap :clap :clap