[b][/b]captain???? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

[b][/b]captain????

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
with cambo having probaly 2 yrs left in him who would you select as our next capt and beyond?

*smile*-2 yrs ago i had him down as a near certainty however i have doubts he would get the full support from his teamates.rightly or wrongly his contract has put him in the class of a mercinary.
Richarson-a few things will go against richo.[A]his age he will be 30 in 2yrs time and with his body not getting younger i have my doubts he will play beyond 2006.stating the obvious regarding his behavior on the feild he has burnt to many bridges.its a pity really for richo he is richmond thru and thru.
Ottens-very much captain material in the future.already showing the signs of being a leader of the club.do we take the punt and do a nth.melb/wayne carey?
Bowden-gifted player yes but not the type of player to aspire the troops.
Cameron-if only he was 3-4yrs younger.a perfect successor to cambo.strong leadership skills and well respected.
Chaffey-chaff would certainly have the players behind him.
Johnson-he is my smokie.2yrs time he will have settled in well at tigerland.dual premiership player with a very good work ethic.he is my prefered option.

your thoughts?

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
although it is very early days, I would suggest that both Couglan and Rodan have what it takes. Both seem to be born leaders. If the captaincy comes up in 2 years however, I think that both of these players will still be too young. If only Campbell could hang on for 3 years, these players may be ready.

Alternatively, Kane Johnson could be OK. However, he needs to prove himself at Tigerland. Cannot be made captain on past reputation. Otherwise, it would seem to be between Chaffey and Bowden.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
although it is very early days, I would suggest that both Couglan and Rodan have what it takes.  Both seem to be born leaders.  If the captaincy comes up in 2 years however, I think that both of these players will still be too young.  If only Campbell could hang on for 3 years, these players may be ready.

Alternatively, Kane Johnson could be OK.  However, he needs to prove himself at Tigerland.  Cannot be made captain on past reputation.  Otherwise, it would seem to be between Chaffey and Bowden.
i agree with both coughlan and rodan as future leaders of the club however even 3yrs is still to early for both.

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
Name who the great captains have been over the past decade....

Carey?
Kernahan?
Kelly?

All made captain at a relatively young age.

If Coughlan or Rodan have leadership written all over them, then give them the job. Ultimately, we are better served having top quality, long term leaders.

And please, please , please don't ever go for co-captains. What a weak cop-out that is!

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
Name who the great captains have been over the past decade....

Carey?
Kernahan?
Kelly?

All made captain at a relatively young age.

If Coughlan or Rodan have leadership written all over them, then give them the job. Ultimately, we are better served having top quality, long term leaders.

And please, please , please don't ever go for co-captains. What a weak cop-out that is!
traditionally we have gone for players in the 25yr old bracket or thereabouts.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
During the year I mentioned to some mates that Rodan had captain quality written all over him, and I still think he would be a good option in years to come.

Richo would still be the club choice after the London game.

It will be interesting to see how Johnson and Blumfield shape up in that department.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Re: captain????

I have always said Otto and if he has a top season this year with Richo and Stafford around him to share the load, he'll be a dead cert IMHO to take over from Campo when Campo decides to step down or retire.

A

admin

when Campo decides to step down or retire.
I hope that decision isn't Campbo's to make, unless it's due to him retiring or swapping clubs.
I hope the powers to be have the guts to change the captaincy if they ever feel things aren't working out with Campbo.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I have heard Danny say that Wayne will be captain, for this season at least.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
If, as reported in the media pretty extensively, Campo is looking at moving down back and onto a flank this year its inevitable that his profile is going to fall. Also, playing there he'd be extremely unlikely to pick up another b&f.

So, all in all I would not be surprised to see him lose/surrender the captaincy at the end of 03.

Ordinarily this would put *smile* and Rodan out of the hunt even if we think of young captains like Carey or Kelly.

To my mind everything depends on how this season goes and where we sit for 04. If we have another year like last year I'd be recommending bite the bullet and go for one of the young blokes anyway. If, on the other hand we do pretty well (say top 4-6) so are just about there and need a little extra magic I'd take a chance with Richo.

A

admin

Just like Knighter hey Rosy?
Haha I was expecting you to pop up on this thread TF. ;D

Yeah like Knighter.
My concern would be that Campbo could be kept on after his use by date for political reasons.
Firstly cos replacing him could be like conceding things mightn't have gone to plan, and secondly cos he mightn't take it too well.
If we have another embarrassment like last season where we couldn't fire up enough passion to beat the two almost winless bottom teams again I'd expect the captain pay the price.
That's hypothetical and I hope very unlikely.
I'd much prefer to see Campbo holding up the premiership cup.
Go Tiges.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
My concern would be that Campbo could be kept on after his use by date for political reasons.  
Firstly cos replacing him could be like conceding things mightn't have gone to plan, and secondly cos he mightn't take it too well.

Once again, like Knighter

Lets not forget that Wayne Campbell is the current reigning B&F,  He has won 4 B&F's over his career, he hasn't finished outside the top 3 since 96'  AND  He is clearly our best performed player over the last decade.  Now how on earth could you blame someone with this level of performance for the teams ineptitude??

On current form Wayne Campbell is about the only sure fire thing at the Richmond Football Club.

A

admin

Lets not forget that Wayne Campbell is the current reigning B&F,  He has won 4 B&F's over his career, he hasn't finished outside the top 3 since 96'  AND  He is clearly our best performed player over the last decade.  Now how on earth could you blame someone with this level of performance for the teams ineptitude??

I don't care if he adds a Brownlow, Coleman Medal and MVP award to his resume this season.(Well it would be great, but nothing to do with capataincy.)
Personal achievements are wonderful, but can matter sfa in regard to the captaincy.
A captain needs good leadership skills not good stats.
He needs the the ability to inspire the team.
If it's not working a change can't hurt.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
A captain needs good leadership skills not good stats.
He needs the the ability to inspire the team.
If it's not working a change can't hurt.

Isn't the best way to inspire others is to lead by example??

Rosy, you talk about a change in captaincy after only 2 years in the job (one of those we actually finished 3rd) yet your are/were a big supporter of Knights, who lead the team for 4 years and didn't make the finals once. There is no logic in your argument, you are just plain anti Campbell

A

admin

Rosy, you talk about a change in captaincy after only 2 years in the job (one of those we actually finished 3rd) yet your are/were a big supporter of Knights, who lead the team for 4 years and didn't make the finals once.  There is no logic in your argument, you are just plain anti Campbell

No TF, you always try and hang this one on me and it's far from the truth. :mad:

It is you who constantly throws Knighter into the equation when Wayne is mentioned.

I said "IF" this coming season was another one like the last I'd like a change of captaincy to be considered.

That is not anti-Campbell, and it is nothing to do with Knighter.

It is to do with trying a new approach to get team success.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I said "IF" this coming season was another one like the last I'd like a change of captaincy to be considered.

If this season is anything like 2002 then I think Frawley would/should go long before Campbell. Let the new coach decide who's fit to lead the club onfield.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
If this season is anything like 2002 then I think Frawley would/should go long before Campbell.  Let the new coach decide who's fit to lead the club onfield.
ahhh yes blame the coach pretty easy scape goat as far as richomd is concerned in the past.and how did we go with that culture?nowhere!
we have a very talented group 2001 proved this however if we repeat 2002 this year the questions should be asked of the players.after all in sport you play for pride within yourself.