Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I suspect he isn't rapt but I would think that the club would have had a good talk to him about his injuries and the condition of his body and age.

He must have known this was a high probability. Lots of players want to go on too long and you can understand why. The club would be offering support but time waits for no-one.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
You need to get your glasses out @tigertim couldn't you see the word : 'herald sun' above the headline :)
Very good but I was hoping you could be more specific (like a link or something) as I couldn't find any such article on the HUN.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
HS is paywalled so I just went with the headline.
Ok, found it. It’s an online footy gossip column by Tony Sheahan (son of) saying Houli was previously told he’d be re-signed for 2022 but with our poor finish to the season the decision was brought forward. Says Houli was offered a farewell game but declined. Said he’s going to try and find a new club for 2022.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
After match interview it was clear it wasn’t his decision and came as a bit of shock. He almost intimated that he could play elsewhere but wouldn’t

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
the Herald Sun hey? Denizen of high class reporting ..

can't imagine Bachar being "angry and resentful"....

he's the most philosophical player in the league and a person of strong faith...

Reactions: 3 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
It won't bother me if Bachar, somehow quite remarkably, suited up for another team next year.
He's left his stamp on RFC and will always be a three-time premiership legend.
Don't reckon it will happen though.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
His last words on his speech to the club.
“Tiger for life!”

Reactions: 7 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Footy gossip columnist for the Herald Sun.

That's the last step before unemployment.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I have been an unabashed Bachar basher at various times through the years. But I wouldn't trade anything for his September performances. He was amazing in those games and it is no small thing to be equal to Martin in most people's minds for the Norm Smith. Huge achievement for a bloke that was essentially discarded by his previous club. Not to mention his quiet but massive off-field work. A statesman of the game. And, I suspect, a not insignificant part of the turnaround in club culture that has been so important in bringing those premierships. I salute you Bachar.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Personally I don't understand this decision by the club, especially if Bachar felt so strongly about it.

It's one thing if a 30+yo player would like to play on, it's another if he's absolutely gunning to play on and prove his worth... and it's another thing altogether when that player is a person like Bachar who is still in great personal form and played a heroic role in a Grand Final just 10 months earlier.

Past actions aside, looking forward is it because we think he might not be able to play 25 games next year? Is it us expecting to miss finals next year? He won't be best 22? We don't think we'll have injuries down back next year? Part of broader list plan? Or a broader cultural plan to empower a younger group and we don't think we can get the younger guys to take ownership any other way? Is it money? List size?

What exactly is the football logic behind forcing an actual triple premiership Tiger legend in good form into an early retirement?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Is it because he might not play 25 games next year? Is it us expecting to miss finals next year? We don't think we'll have any injuries down back next year? He won't be best 22? Part of broader cultural plan to empower a younger group and we don't think we can get the younger guys to take ownership any other way? Is it money? List size?

I reckon it's all of the above.

Reactions: 1 user