Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
I think it speaks volumes that Essendon have put it on record that letting Bach go was their greatest mistake in recent times. Be hard pressed to get a bigger steal, absolute legend of the RFC.
Teasdale, Roberts and Jackson is still too recent for many of us...

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Getting Bash & Grigg was the first signs we were coming good.

And they were both slammed on PRE.
I certainly didn't, thought it was brilliant recruiting, even the Bombers supporters were agitated. Grigg for Collins caused a bit of a stir, I think that was put to bed after a season.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
He'll certainly be missed. Will be very different not seeing him out there next season.

Each year we’re losing great players incl our premiership legends like Rance, Grigg, Brando, Dave and of course Bachar.
We‘ll never ever forget them. (At a pinch I can still name every Tiger premiership player - in position - since ‘67)
At the same time it’s akin to nature and life in general. There has to be ongoing rejuvenation.
C’est la vie and all that.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I certainly didn't, thought it was brilliant recruiting, even the Bombers supporters were agitated. Grigg for Collins caused a bit of a stir, I think that was put to bed after a season.
Griggs for Collin caused a stir? surely not for anyone who knows their football.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think it's easy to blur reality in the afterglow of success.

For me, Houli's worth was still in question up until 2017. He always had the tools but he struggled to get comfortable with the physicality of the game.

It was documented in Marshall's book that the coach questioned his hardness during 2016. For me, he found a way to be better in that area and that made him a more complete player, and took his game to another level.
I think Chocco is the one who is credited with working with Houli on this aspect?

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I don't have anything to add to this thread, I just saw Bachar's name pop up and wanted to say he's a legend.

That's all, continue as you were.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Did anyone see the Khawaja "incident" where they put away the champagne to include him in the celebrations - and think of Bachar?

I believe he has had a profound impact on Australian sport's culture. Deserves a statute next to KB one day (celebrating his goal in the 2017 GF).

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Did anyone see the Khawaja "incident" where they put away the champagne to include him in the celebrations - and think of Bachar?

I believe he has had a profound impact on Australian sport's culture. Deserves a statute next to KB one day (celebrating his goal in the 2017 GF).
I sort of want him back...

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Just went chasing some Brownlow odds, and found that Sportsbet are listing Houli as a $501 shot to win this year's Brownlow.

That puts him on the same line of betting as Cotch, Floss, NicNat, Joe Daniher and Aaron Naughton to name a few others.

Do they know something we don't?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Sportsbet can be very unscrupulous in this way, Streak. If I had any bureaucratic talent I would do them for it.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Geez:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond premiership star Bachar Houli has been airlifted back to Melbourne after being injured in a serious car crash near Canberra.
Houli is believed to have broken his pelvis and sustained several other fractures after a camping trip went wrong.

It is understood a ute Houli was in rolled over during the accident.

Three-time premiership star Houli retired at the end of 2021 with 232 games - including 26 at Essendon and 206 at Richmond.

He is believed to have been in the ute with a friend who was also seriously injured.

Houli was transported to a Canberra hospital but then airlifted back to Victoria for further treatment.

Richmond is aware of the incident but could not provide any details on Sunday night.

Houli has long spoken of his love of camping in remote areas where he hunts and fishes with friends. The third muslim to play AFL football, Houli has been an inspiration for young Australian Muslims and established the Bachar Houli Foundation in 2019.

The non-for-profit foundation develops young leaders within the Muslim community with a sense of belonging through football development.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Geez:

Richmond premiership star Bachar Houli has been airlifted back to Melbourne after being injured in a serious car crash near Canberra.
Houli is believed to have broken his pelvis and sustained several other fractures after a camping trip went wrong.

Three-time premiership star Houli retired at the end of 2021 with 232 games - including 26 at Essendon and 206 at Richmond.

He is believed to have been in the ute with a friend who was also seriously injured.

Houli was transported to a Canberra hospital but then airlifted back to Victoria for further treatment.

Richmond is aware of the incident but could not provide any details on Sunday night.

Houli has long spoken of his love of camping in remote areas where he hunts and fishes with friends. The third muslim to play AFL football, Houli has been an inspiration for young Australian Muslims and established the Bachar Houli Foundation in 2019.

The non-for-profit foundation develops young leaders within the Muslim community with a sense of belonging through football development.
Geez what a *smile* couple of hours. Thoughts out to Bachar and his family.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Geez:

WTF is going on!! We're getting cursed everywhere. Hope Bash is all good.