Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Bashar is truly a beautiful man. Such strength, humility and gratitude for a man that has had bad injuries.
I can certainly take a leaf from his book.

I bought his book and leafed through it - but didn’t get past the first couple of chapters

Prefer watching his work on film - especially GF replays

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
First and foremost I wish Bachar a speedy recovery.

He is a wonderful human and a leader among his community.

A genuine loving person who is living an authentic life based on his beliefs.

I believe we should all embrace difference. Greater awareness, understanding and acceptance of other cultures and beliefs systems can only enhance our own existence.

Apologies if this appears to be preaching.....
I believe humans should seek out their own truths whilst being tolerant of others. Gets delicate when others try to exert influence.
May your God be with you

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I believe humans should seek out their own truths whilst being tolerant of others. Gets delicate when others try to exert influence.
May your God be with you
I like this perspective.

By its very nature religion tries to recruit/grow and has elements of nastiness to infidels/unbelievers which creates the delicateness and I guess is the same if a non-believer tries to convert a believer to a non-believer. A message of seeking out your own truth and understanding others is great.

May your god or lack of belief in sky fairies :) be with you.

Anyway to stay on topic all the best to Bachar in his recovery and whatever helps him make the best one.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bachar exhibits the best of Islam, it is such a pity there are extremists who bring out the worst of Islam.

It is the same with all religions.

May your gods or lack of deities be with you all.

Get well Bachar, not only a great footballer but a great human being.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
‘I WAS IN MID-AIR, GOD SAVED US’

Scott Gullan
IT was Bachar Houli’s favourite trip of the year, a fishing and hunting adventure up to the Murray Region in NSW.
The trip to the Bringenbrong property combined two of his greatest passions in life and on this particularly cold June morning, Houli was excited about what lay ahead.
For the previous three years he’d come to the same place, along with his brother-in-law Khaled and a friend, where they’d share dinner each night with the farmer and his family who owned the property.
It was a great escape and one of the highlights of the trip was always the early morning wild deer hunt.
As usual there was a sense of excitement among the trio as they set off with Houli driving his Jeep across the rugged terrain with the Snowy Mountains in the distance.
The usual banter between them was flying thick and fast before suddenly there was silence. And then the screams.
Houli doesn’t recall exactly what happened next. He remembers briefly being in mid-air and then waking up in the field.
“It happened too quick,” Houli explains. “I was in mid-air, not even 10 seconds then bang. I got spat outside, thrown out of the roof and knocked out.
“It turns out we’d slipped on a little ledge and then the slope of the mountain got the better of me. The car tipped over and off it went. I did everything right, you look back and ask, could I have done anything different? Not one thing I could have done differently, it was just this one slip.”
While his brother-in-law remained in the ute as it rolled, Houli’s friend did the smart thing and jumped out which potentially saved their lives.
“It’s funny because we always bag him for not taking risks, not being a risk taker yet he was the smart one who jumped out,” Houli said.
“If we didn’t have our mate jump out of the car then things could have been much worse.
“It was a Sunday morning, the farmer wasn’t working and normally the farmer has dinner with us every night but we weren’t actually having dinner with him that night because he had plans elsewhere so it could have been a couple of days before anyone found us.
“God saved us. We have done something right in our life and we live another day to tell the story.”
When he regained consciousness Houli knew he was in serious trouble. The pain was intense and he could barely move. Thankfully, his mobile phone had landed near-by and they were able to call for help.
Houli, who had suffered multiple fractures, was initially taken to Albury Base Hospital before being flown to Royal Melbourne Hospital. Khaled was rushed to Canberra Hospital where he was placed in intensive care.
Five months on and Houli is sitting in a cafe in Altona North a relieved and happy man. He’s just been out fishing on his boat by himself, something he’s only just recently been able to do again.
The injury toll of the crash was a broken pelvis in multiple areas and a badly ruptured rotator cuff of his right shoulder which saw tendons torn off the bone.
He was in hospital for two weeks, confined to a wheelchair for another 10 weeks. He still struggles lifting up his right arm while running, which was his favourite way to remain fit, is off the agenda.
Throughout his 15-year AFL career Houli had avoided any serious injuries with the regulation hamstring, calf and groin strains his biggest issues.
He admits he still had the football mentality in the initial stages of his recovery, thinking he’d be back and up and moving quickly.
“The surgeon kept saying you’re in a bad position, don’t think this is a three-month thing and you are going to walk and start running,” Houli said.
“The whole time I thought I wasn’t that bad but he kept saying this is long-term, it’s a six to 12 month recovery at least.”
One thing the accident did do was force him to watch football again. Since he retired at the end of 2021 after 232 games and three premierships, the 35-year-old hasn’t engaged with the AFL.
“I don’t miss it,” he says. “The only footy I watched, we’re talking proper consecutive footy, was when I got hurt with the accident because I had no choice, sitting in bed watching every single game. I had my time, 15 years in the system I was able to achieve what I wanted to achieve. I go into the club and see the boys now and then, they ask me how it is. I’m fishing, I’m hunting, I’m working in the Foundation, I’m loving life.
“I’m very content, I could have gone on for another year or two and if it had of come my way I probably would have accepted it but it (retirement) definitely came at a good time.
“There were two things I wanted out of footy, health and good form and they are two things I guess I ticked the box.”
The brush with death – his brother-in-law is thankfully also on the road to recovery – certainly heightened Houli’s perspective on life.
“It was scary but what got me through is two things, the element of faith in my life and always being grateful for every opportunity,” he explains.
“Even when I’m in a wheelchair I can still talk, I am still able to communicate, still able to see my family.
“The other thing is there is always somebody worse off so be grateful regardless. It comes back to gratitude, the biggest thing for me is my faith, it helped me in footy, helped me in life and will continue to help me for life.
“I know what my true purpose is in this life.”

NEW VENTURE

Houli’s new purpose is the Islamic College of Sport, the latest project in his quest to develop young leaders within the Muslim community.
It is his biggest and boldest project yet after he started his community work a decade ago through football programs. Then in 2019 he established the Bachar Houli Foundation which creates employment pathways and promotes social cohesion and inclusion for young Muslims through football.
His first football academy back in 2013 went for two days for 50 Year 7-8 students. Now he has 12 programs nationally, male and female, and over the journey they have reached more than 35,000 participants.
The Foundation has a foothold in five states, with two employees in each, while its employment program has provided 30 traineeships with 80 per cent of participants receiving full-time employment across the AFL.
Houli loves helping young people from his community succeed and he sees the school, which opens in Coburg next year, as a game-changer.
They are starting slowly with just 25 students at Year 11 level with Year 12 to be added in 2025. The big picture plan is to expand through Year 7-12 with multiple campuses around Melbourne.
The school is aimed at giving young Muslim students the opportunity to pursue their passion for sport in a religiously and culturally welcoming environment. Students will receive the Victorian Certificate of Education – Vocational Major – at the end of their studies.
“We are the first in the world to open something with the faith aspect to it,” Houli explains. “Ultimately these kids love sport but clearly haven’t found the balance between sport and education.
“Here they are going to pursue sport but still get some sort of achievement and certificate in education. And in a safe environment where they can feel comfortable about their faith.”
“We got this idea through conversations we had with many of our academy students. A lot of these students have gone to Islamic schools all their life and then all of sudden for them to transition to a normal school, the parents find it a little bit hard.
“There is a gap and we identified the gap that needed to be filled.
“Where we are excited about is there will be a high performance sport program intertwining the curriculum and it will be multi-sport, not just football but also sports like cricket, basketball, soccer and taekwondo.”
The students will be mentored by experts in each field including Olympic 800m runner Peter Bol, former St Kilda player Ahmed Saad, who is the Foundation’s program manager, and former Victorian cricketer Fawad Ahmed.
Houli talks a lot about the “power of sport”. He was fortunate to experience that in the AFL while so many of his friends never got their chance because they fell through the cracks with no programs or role models in place to guide them.
“We know the power of sport and what it can do,” he says. “I’m so passionate about giving more of our youth an opportunity through sport and then they will be the example for the next generation to come.”

www.heraldsun.com.au

Reactions: 18 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Love Bachar, glad he's doing well. Couldn't give a *smile* about his faith or anyone else's.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Love Bachar, glad he's doing well. Couldn't give a *smile* about his faith or anyone else's.
Im not religious at all, or a fan of religious organisations, but it is at least a positive when people use their religion as a driver to make positive change, which hopefully Houli is. (as opposed to using religion as a driver for negative change.)

Reactions: 10 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Im not religious at all, or a fan of religious organisations, but it is at least a positive when people use their religion as a driver to make positive change, which hopefully Houli is. (as opposed to using religion as a driver for negative change.)
Yeah. I guess.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yes I'd rather have good Muslim leaders in our multicultural society than disaffected youth. Bachar is a good human doing good things.

Reactions: 12 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Yes I'd rather have good Muslim leaders in our multicultural society than disaffected youth. Bachar is a good human doing good things.
Agreed.

I consider it to be legitimate lunacy when someone says 'God saved me'.

But Bachar has always used his faith as a platform for peace, community and inclusion.

Can't ask for more than that from a person.

Reactions: 10 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
‘I WAS IN MID-AIR, GOD SAVED US’

Scott Gullan
IT was Bachar Houli’s favourite trip of the year, a fishing and hunting adventure up to the Murray Region in NSW.
The trip to the Bringenbrong property combined two of his greatest passions in life and on this particularly cold June morning, Houli was excited about what lay ahead.
For the previous three years he’d come to the same place, along with his brother-in-law Khaled and a friend, where they’d share dinner each night with the farmer and his family who owned the property.
It was a great escape and one of the highlights of the trip was always the early morning wild deer hunt.
As usual there was a sense of excitement among the trio as they set off with Houli driving his Jeep across the rugged terrain with the Snowy Mountains in the distance.
The usual banter between them was flying thick and fast before suddenly there was silence. And then the screams.
Houli doesn’t recall exactly what happened next. He remembers briefly being in mid-air and then waking up in the field.
“It happened too quick,” Houli explains. “I was in mid-air, not even 10 seconds then bang. I got spat outside, thrown out of the roof and knocked out.
“It turns out we’d slipped on a little ledge and then the slope of the mountain got the better of me. The car tipped over and off it went. I did everything right, you look back and ask, could I have done anything different? Not one thing I could have done differently, it was just this one slip.”
While his brother-in-law remained in the ute as it rolled, Houli’s friend did the smart thing and jumped out which potentially saved their lives.
“It’s funny because we always bag him for not taking risks, not being a risk taker yet he was the smart one who jumped out,” Houli said.
“If we didn’t have our mate jump out of the car then things could have been much worse.
“It was a Sunday morning, the farmer wasn’t working and normally the farmer has dinner with us every night but we weren’t actually having dinner with him that night because he had plans elsewhere so it could have been a couple of days before anyone found us.
“God saved us. We have done something right in our life and we live another day to tell the story.”
When he regained consciousness Houli knew he was in serious trouble. The pain was intense and he could barely move. Thankfully, his mobile phone had landed near-by and they were able to call for help.
Houli, who had suffered multiple fractures, was initially taken to Albury Base Hospital before being flown to Royal Melbourne Hospital. Khaled was rushed to Canberra Hospital where he was placed in intensive care.
Five months on and Houli is sitting in a cafe in Altona North a relieved and happy man. He’s just been out fishing on his boat by himself, something he’s only just recently been able to do again.
The injury toll of the crash was a broken pelvis in multiple areas and a badly ruptured rotator cuff of his right shoulder which saw tendons torn off the bone.
He was in hospital for two weeks, confined to a wheelchair for another 10 weeks. He still struggles lifting up his right arm while running, which was his favourite way to remain fit, is off the agenda.
Throughout his 15-year AFL career Houli had avoided any serious injuries with the regulation hamstring, calf and groin strains his biggest issues.
He admits he still had the football mentality in the initial stages of his recovery, thinking he’d be back and up and moving quickly.
“The surgeon kept saying you’re in a bad position, don’t think this is a three-month thing and you are going to walk and start running,” Houli said.
“The whole time I thought I wasn’t that bad but he kept saying this is long-term, it’s a six to 12 month recovery at least.”
One thing the accident did do was force him to watch football again. Since he retired at the end of 2021 after 232 games and three premierships, the 35-year-old hasn’t engaged with the AFL.
“I don’t miss it,” he says. “The only footy I watched, we’re talking proper consecutive footy, was when I got hurt with the accident because I had no choice, sitting in bed watching every single game. I had my time, 15 years in the system I was able to achieve what I wanted to achieve. I go into the club and see the boys now and then, they ask me how it is. I’m fishing, I’m hunting, I’m working in the Foundation, I’m loving life.
“I’m very content, I could have gone on for another year or two and if it had of come my way I probably would have accepted it but it (retirement) definitely came at a good time.
“There were two things I wanted out of footy, health and good form and they are two things I guess I ticked the box.”
The brush with death – his brother-in-law is thankfully also on the road to recovery – certainly heightened Houli’s perspective on life.
“It was scary but what got me through is two things, the element of faith in my life and always being grateful for every opportunity,” he explains.
“Even when I’m in a wheelchair I can still talk, I am still able to communicate, still able to see my family.
“The other thing is there is always somebody worse off so be grateful regardless. It comes back to gratitude, the biggest thing for me is my faith, it helped me in footy, helped me in life and will continue to help me for life.
“I know what my true purpose is in this life.”

NEW VENTURE

Houli’s new purpose is the Islamic College of Sport, the latest project in his quest to develop young leaders within the Muslim community.
It is his biggest and boldest project yet after he started his community work a decade ago through football programs. Then in 2019 he established the Bachar Houli Foundation which creates employment pathways and promotes social cohesion and inclusion for young Muslims through football.
His first football academy back in 2013 went for two days for 50 Year 7-8 students. Now he has 12 programs nationally, male and female, and over the journey they have reached more than 35,000 participants.
The Foundation has a foothold in five states, with two employees in each, while its employment program has provided 30 traineeships with 80 per cent of participants receiving full-time employment across the AFL.
Houli loves helping young people from his community succeed and he sees the school, which opens in Coburg next year, as a game-changer.
They are starting slowly with just 25 students at Year 11 level with Year 12 to be added in 2025. The big picture plan is to expand through Year 7-12 with multiple campuses around Melbourne.
The school is aimed at giving young Muslim students the opportunity to pursue their passion for sport in a religiously and culturally welcoming environment. Students will receive the Victorian Certificate of Education – Vocational Major – at the end of their studies.
“We are the first in the world to open something with the faith aspect to it,” Houli explains. “Ultimately these kids love sport but clearly haven’t found the balance between sport and education.
“Here they are going to pursue sport but still get some sort of achievement and certificate in education. And in a safe environment where they can feel comfortable about their faith.”
“We got this idea through conversations we had with many of our academy students. A lot of these students have gone to Islamic schools all their life and then all of sudden for them to transition to a normal school, the parents find it a little bit hard.
“There is a gap and we identified the gap that needed to be filled.
“Where we are excited about is there will be a high performance sport program intertwining the curriculum and it will be multi-sport, not just football but also sports like cricket, basketball, soccer and taekwondo.”
The students will be mentored by experts in each field including Olympic 800m runner Peter Bol, former St Kilda player Ahmed Saad, who is the Foundation’s program manager, and former Victorian cricketer Fawad Ahmed.
Houli talks a lot about the “power of sport”. He was fortunate to experience that in the AFL while so many of his friends never got their chance because they fell through the cracks with no programs or role models in place to guide them.
“We know the power of sport and what it can do,” he says. “I’m so passionate about giving more of our youth an opportunity through sport and then they will be the example for the next generation to come.”

www.heraldsun.com.au
Pictures missing from this Hun article. They had a very nice photo of Bash n his multiple premiership 300 game team mate Jason Edwards. FMD it's no surprise when numpties on the cans n keyboard talk *smile* n get things arse about. But paid professional journos n editors n proof readers n *smile* should be able to come close to getting their *smile* sorted before going to print to 700,000 readers.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I've met him. You wouldn't meet a better person.
He was an top footballer and even a better bloke.

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As an aside, for those who live in the inner east you may know that the Houli family ran the fruit and veggie stalls at the Camberwell market for years, not sure if they do now.
This is part of the extended family who all joined as RFC members when Bachar moved over from Essendon. They are Bachar’s cousins.
You would not meet nicer people, all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
As an aside, for those who live in the inner east you may know that the Houli family ran the fruit and veggie stalls at the Camberwell market for years, not sure if they do now.
This is part of the extended family who all joined as RFC members when Bachar moved over from Essendon. They are Bachar’s cousins.
You would not meet nicer people, all of them.
Reminds me of the days Geoffrey Rush would casually catch public transport in Camberwell, great community (at least it was awhile back).

Reactions: 1 user