Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
With Eggs and Baker all being trialed for the half back role and intention to slot Marlion in for a stint it may signal the end of the road for Houli' career.

Don't think so. Eggs and Baker not proven in that position yet. Last I checked Picket hasn't played a game yet. At the very least Houli becomes an awesome depth player. They have to knock him off his perch first though, he's playing out of his skin atm.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Don't think so. Eggs and Baker not proven in that position yet. Last I checked Picket hasn't played a game yet. At the very least Houli becomes an awesome depth player. They have to knock him off his perch first though, he's playing out of his skin atm.

Made AFL team of the week again for round 17

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bash b trundling along very nicely again this year. At his age the simple solution is to go year by year n wait till either the game passes him by, or one of the young pretenders does.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The haters can't help themselves. Called for his culling years ago. We'd never win a premiership with Houli in the squad.

You've got to wonder why they hate him so much. It's not rational.

Reactions: 5 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Houli has been a great recruit & whilst not always as strong as you’d like him to be defensively in a contest, gets a lot of the ball & generally uses it pretty well. If Ellis, goes I’d be happy for him to push for a wing in 2020.

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
houli will get a one year deal on reasonable coin, the great man will see out his days at tigerland on his terms unless injury/s become an issue.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The haters can't help themselves. Called for his culling years ago. We'd never win a premiership with Houli in the squad.

You've got to wonder why they hate him so much. It's not rational.

Neither are posts like this really (rational). Haters? Teenage girl language.

Most "detractors/doubters" are entitled to their opinion and most explain why.

As you point out he's a premiership hero who performed on the biggest stage on the biggest day. Will never be taken away. Doesn't mean his position or role or performance now can't be questioned.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Neither are posts like this really (rational). Haters? Teenage girl language.

Most "detractors/doubters" are entitled to their opinion and most explain why.

As you point out he's a premiership hero who performed on the biggest stage on the biggest day. Will never be taken away. Doesn't mean his position or role or performance now can't be questioned.

It's fair though to bring up the point that the posters who said we could never win a premiership with Houli in the side (or similar comments) are the same ones potting him now and wanting him to retire despite his great form. I haven't always been a fan of Houli, there have been times where he hasn't performed well for periods of time, but right now he's in superb touch and deserves to be offered another year if that's his desire.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Straw man argument tigerlove, name the names of the posters concerned and your point will be valid.

I would be interested learning in who made those claims.

Houli on his current form deserves another year on his contract

I agree with Bill James that Houli put himself in harms ways on Sunday several times, he also hit up some great targets that had hurt factor on GWS.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
So who are the most effective and impactful players?
There may not be an exact science to it, but the best way to work out the competition's most efficient metres gained players is to combine their own effective metres gained with their assisted metres gained.

By doing this, you are adding their individual effective work with what they have been able to set up for their teammates.
Without further ado, here's this year's top 10:
791m - Jake Lloyd (Sydney)
706m - Shannon Hurn (West Coast)
686m - Bachar Houli (Richmond)
659m - Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
654m - Daniel Rich (Brisbane)
644m - Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
641m - Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs)
618m - Mitch Duncan (Geelong)
617m - Zac Williams (GWS)
612m - Ricky Henderson (Hawthorn)

Cant argue with that.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There may not be an exact science to it, but the best way to work out the competition's most efficient metres gained players is to combine their own effective metres gained with their assisted metres gained.

By doing this, you are adding their individual effective work with what they have been able to set up for their teammates.

Cant argue with that.

Neale doing a great job considering he is the only genuine inside mid in that list.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

Cant argue with that.

I reckon you can.

I like 'assisted metres gained' as a stat. It essentially shows how likely you are to put a team mate in a position to attack. It shows that you open up play.

But it doesn't make any sense to suggest that 'metres gained' is uselessly biased towards defenders (especially those who take kick outs), but then it into 'assisted metres gained'. What's the point in adding a biased set into another set?

I would actually quite like to see what the 'assisted metres gained' stats look like for our squad. IMO, assisted metres gained + metres gained is just as useless as metres gained.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Straw man argument tigerlove, name the names of the posters concerned and your point will be valid.

I would be interested learning in who made those claims.

Houli on his current form deserves another year on his contract

I agree with Bill James that Houli put himself in harms ways on Sunday several times, he also hit up some great targets that had hurt factor on GWS.

Why strawman? Read back through the posts (pre premiership) and compare to some recent posts still potting Houli despite his good form. The names of posters will become clear. One name in particular is a little quiet right now I'm not here to name them I was just commenting on the discussion between MD Jazz and Baloo.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Speaking of his GF. His teammates all appreciated him the next day, when he went to the channel 7 studio and did the media commitments on the Sunday morning.

Reactions: 5 users