Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

Tiger68

Grow boys, grow!
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney
Houli kicked out 5 times yesterday. On 4 of those occasions he did NOT leave the square and hit short targets. On 1 occasion he played on bounced after 10 metres and hit a target 60 metres out on the wing. His kick outs were flawless. It appears to me they've been working on it. BAker had 1 kickout that was also a short pass. Stack, Short and Vlastuin all had 1 each and were long kicks. Only Stack hit a target, Vlastuin's skewed and was cut off by opponent initially and SHort's was to a one on one contest.
I agree, they have worked on it and it was definitely more effective.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Whether a kick-in goes short or long is more about what your team-mates are doing to make leads and space for you to kick to. It's also a function of how much pressure the opposition wants to put on your players in the back-half during kick-ins.

Agree. I like to look at kick outs every game and there seemed to be a more purposeful attempt to create the short lead for Houli's kick ins which is why I say they seemed to work on it. It is the first time in a while I've seen him rarely play on and look almost solely for the short option without leaving the goal square. He would then run hard to be another option down field.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Agree. I like to look at kick outs every game and there seemed to be a more purposeful attempt to create the short lead for Houli's kick ins which is why I say they seemed to work on it. It is the first time in a while I've seen him rarely play on and look almost solely for the short option without leaving the goal square. He would then run hard to be another option down field.

Yeah, agree with that TL. On TV it's a bit harder to see what the leading patterns are and how much pressure Port were trying to apply to lock it in. I didn't keep a count but if this is something the coaches have tweaked to give more options then good work.

Tiger68

Grow boys, grow!
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney
It seemed to apply to more than just the kickouts yesterday. I don't recall Houli bombing long to a contest at all yesterday and he spotted up numerous targets. It could have been a deliberate strategy to keep the ball from Port's big men. Whatever it was I would like to see more of it, we do not have ruck dominance where a long kick down the line puts us to an advantage.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Predictably, the lazy play the man approach has been adopted.

'Hate' was introduced within my post within quotations. It's not my word, it is the word people like you have introduced to describe people like me with a counter perspective to yours.

Houli played well yesterday, 'No doubt about it'

Houli is given the privilege of being the designated kicker and play maker off half back. It is fair enough that Houli is held to account for his kicking and creative play making. It's a critical role and far from trivial.

I think it’s you who has been given the “privilege” of watching an important RFC team player doing his thing and the club for having him and I’m sure the club feel the same way. I go to the footy to support my team and it’s players. I will chastise them if they stuff up like everyone else regardless of who they are but you sit there and “hate” this and “hate” that! Do you hate how Cotchin balloons his kicks around his shoulder that go all of 30 metres or do you hate how Dusty doesn’t take overhead marks and only uses his body to push his opponents out?
What I am suggesting is that you are over analysing and should not use the word hate anymore. It’s very negative.
Why people are labelled haters is that they have preconceived biases against certain players and won’t let go. We should spend more time celebrating the positives instead of this continual roll out of nitpicking.
Apologies if you think I’m playing the man but read your post. It is a personal opinion post that is not immune to a reasonable response

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It seemed to apply to more than just the kickouts yesterday. I don't recall Houli bombing long to a contest at all yesterday and he spotted up numerous targets. It could have been a deliberate strategy to keep the ball from Port's big men. Whatever it was I would like to see more of it, we do not have ruck dominance where a long kick down the line puts us to an advantage.

so rather it being Houli chasing stats for the last 7 or so years he has taken the kick outs, and the club finally addressing it this week, it may of actually been a change of strategy across the team? and a reflection that Houli continues to do what is asked?

as for bouncing before he has run his full distance, players bounce early when they are not under pressure, or have a target to reduce the chance they have to bounce when they are under pressure, or when a target is presenting.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Playing well at the moment, young Bachar. Both he and Ellis are performing way better than Shorty. Well done those two!

Tiger68

Grow boys, grow!
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney
I think it’s you who has been given the “privilege” of watching an important RFC team player doing his thing and the club for having him and I’m sure the club feel the same way. I go to the footy to support my team and it’s players. I will chastise them if they stuff up like everyone else regardless of who they are but you sit there and “hate” this and “hate” that! Do you hate how Cotchin balloons his kicks around his shoulder that go all of 30 metres or do you hate how Dusty doesn’t take overhead marks and only uses his body to push his opponents out?
What I am suggesting is that you are over analysing and should not use the word hate anymore. It’s very negative.
Why people are labelled haters is that they have preconceived biases against certain players and won’t let go. We should spend more time celebrating the positives instead of this continual roll out of nitpicking.
Apologies if you think I’m playing the man but read your post. It is a personal opinion post that is not immune to a reasonable response

OK

Perhaps you reflect on calling me a Houli hater as well. Hate is a word that is too freely used in the footy context.

We both have entrenched opinions and conformation bias will likely prevent either of us from changing them.

I have reflected on my posts and have realised that I should not be so publicly negative. The reason for this is that Bachar himself may read these posts.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I wouldn't worry. Your criticism is fair criticism even if some of us don't agree. Players are warned not to read social media and I reckon Bashar would be completely unaffected by it even if he did read it.

I doubt any Richmond player would read PRE unless they wanted a good laugh.

Reactions: 2 users

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I wouldn't worry. Your criticism is fair criticism even if some of us don't agree. Players are warned not to read social media and I reckon Bashar would be completely unaffected by it even if he did read it.

I doubt any Richmond player would read PRE unless they wanted a good laugh.

Houli probably tolerates haters better than most

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
One thing I like about Short in the team is that it means we have 2 running backs who play 70 metre footy, obviously I love the rest of the backline as much as anyone but there defensively minded players and shows why the likes of Houli are so important, can’t fit them all in however I really like Stack and Edwards back there too, can see Naish learning a bit of Houli over the pre season.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
One thing I like about Short in the team is that it means we have 2 running backs who play 70 metre footy, obviously I love the rest of the backline as much as anyone but there defensively minded players and shows why the likes of Houli are so important, can’t fit them all in however I really like Stack and Edwards back there too, can see Naish learning a bit of Houli over the pre season.

Houli lover!

• Love

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I am forever grateful for Bachar's 2017 GF performance. Has endless credits as far as I am concerned after that team-inspiring effort.

Reactions: 3 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
One thing I like about Short in the team is that it means we have 2 running backs who play 70 60 metre footy, obviously I love the rest of the backline as much as anyone but there defensively minded players and shows why the likes of Houli are so important, can’t fit them all in however I really like Stack and Edwards back there too, can see Naish learning a bit of Houli over the pre season.

Corrected for strict accuracy purposes. :D

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
One thing I like about Short in the team is that it means we have 2 running backs who play 70 60 metre footy, obviously I love the rest of the backline as much as anyone but there defensively minded players and shows why the likes of Houli are so important, can’t fit them all in however I really like Stack and Edwards back there too, can see Naish learning a bit of Houli over the pre season.
Corrected for accuracy purposes only. :D

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Houli currently 54th ranked player in the League this season by AFLCA (coaches votes). He polled all ten votes in one game.

For a player on the wrong side of 31, that's massive.

Last edited:

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
200th game this week!
Congrats Bash. Well done.
Technically only his 174th (as first 26 games don't count!)
Thanks EssenDoom.:D

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
i read an article on the club website on Dion Prestia. Talked about how no one at club mentions player stats or even individual form. It was all based on team performance.
The coaches dont care about disposal numbers.
This is plain to see. Since 2017 Cotch's numbers are right down. Overall the team numbers are down. We dont aim to get more kicks or metres gained etc. We aim to get more goals.

I would suggest that anyone claiming that a Richmond player is stat padding by taking bounces, going sideways or taking kickouts... you need to reconsider.
The club doesnt read them, the players dont read them. Maybe we shouldnt read them.

Reactions: 6 users