Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Unfortunately not mate. I started work at 8.30am today and was slammed all day without a break.
I have Friday off work, so Im planning on calling SEN in the morning and unleashing on Kane's show!

Cant wait......

Going to be good.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I know Martin was clearly the best player on the ground over four quarters and deserves his Norm Smith, but from where I was sitting at the ground, Bachar was my BOG.

Not for stats, not even across the game, but for the presence he gave us in the first part of the game. The part that mattered.

This was the first Grand Final I've ever attended, and there was so much within that experience, that I couldn't quite process it all at the time, I'm still kind of unpacking it at my head. One immediate thought at the end of the game was, "Wait, how good is this? I just watched us win a premiership with little to no stress, live and with the tiger army around me, and now I get to go home and watch it for the first time again on TV." So I was pretty excited to see how the game unfolded on the small screen.

Something I wasn't on my second first viewing prepared for, was a feeling which approximated disappointment. I've said it before on this forum, but a game of football is a bit like a fireworks display. You can appreciate a video of it. You might even catch things that you can't see in real life. But it just doesn't have the same scope or magnitude as actually being a part of it. And it really feels like Channel 7 was the teenager filming in portrait mode with a snapchat filter and their finger over the microphone.

Yes, they captured our win. Yes, they captured the GWS capitulation. What they didn't capture was the feeling of inevitability. The way in which we were able to exert a dominance that led to the Giants absolute futility.

But what does this have to do with Bachar? Because for the first quarter and a half, he was the architect of our dominion. GWS were playing early. They were trying to create. They were trying to shift themselves into gear. But every attempt to do this was abortive. And it was because of Bachar.

At the ground, I distinctly felt four or five different moments in that first 40 minutes of the game, when the Giants nearly managed to connect a few passes, create some fluidity of movement, and in each case, Bachar cut it off. Not only that, but he did it so cleanly, so absolutely, so creatively, so stoically and clinically, that you could feel the GWS players deflate. The collective slumping of shoulders and dropping of heads was almost audible.

The play where he made a spoil on the wing, and then instantly tackled, only for us to then run off with the ball into our own 50 was, to me, the straw that broke the Giants' backs. It looked great on TV, but it doesn't do it justice. What you can't see, is that Bachar had no right to make that first contest. He was nowhere near it. It was sheer will, belief, timing and talent that got him to that first contest. The second contest was pure heart. The recovery, attack, and precision of that tackle was phenomenal. At that point we won the game.

Yeah, Dusty was the best player over four quarters. He's a freak. Bachar was my BOG.

By the way, I'm admittedly guilty of being a Bachar basher over the years. For most of his career I've had big question marks over his ball use. But I never questioned his character, heart, or team work, and I really think he has continually gotten better with age. He is not now the player he was, even three years ago. He's an absolute legend of the club now.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I know Martin was clearly the best player on the ground over four quarters and deserves his Norm Smith, but from where I was sitting at the ground, Bachar was my BOG.

Not for stats, not even across the game, but for the presence he gave us in the first part of the game. The part that mattered.

This was the first Grand Final I've ever attended, and there was so much within that experience, that I couldn't quite process it all at the time, I'm still kind of unpacking it at my head. One immediate thought at the end of the game was, "Wait, how good is this? I just watched us win a premiership with little to no stress, live and with the tiger army around me, and now I get to go home and watch it for the first time again on TV." So I was pretty excited to see how the game unfolded on the small screen.

Something I wasn't on my second first viewing prepared for, was a feeling which approximated disappointment. I've said it before on this forum, but a game of football is a bit like a fireworks display. You can appreciate a video of it. You might even catch things that you can't see in real life. But it just doesn't have the same scope or magnitude as actually being a part of it. And it really feels like Channel 7 was the teenager filming in portrait mode with a snapchat filter and their finger over the microphone.

Yes, they captured our win. Yes, they captured the GWS capitulation. What they didn't capture was the feeling of inevitability. The way in which we were able to exert a dominance that led to the Giants absolute futility.

But what does this have to do with Bachar? Because for the first quarter and a half, he was the architect of our dominion. GWS were playing early. They were trying to create. They were trying to shift themselves into gear. But every attempt to do this was abortive. And it was because of Bachar.

At the ground, I distinctly felt four or five different moments in that first 40 minutes of the game, when the Giants nearly managed to connect a few passes, create some fluidity of movement, and in each case, Bachar cut it off. Not only that, but he did it so cleanly, so absolutely, so creatively, so stoically and clinically, that you could feel the GWS players deflate. The collective slumping of shoulders and dropping of heads was almost audible.

The play where he made a spoil on the wing, and then instantly tackled, only for us to then run off with the ball into our own 50 was, to me, the straw that broke the Giants' backs. It looked great on TV, but it doesn't do it justice. What you can't see, is that Bachar had no right to make that first contest. He was nowhere near it. It was sheer will, belief, timing and talent that got him to that first contest. The second contest was pure heart. The recovery, attack, and precision of that tackle was phenomenal. At that point we won the game.

Yeah, Dusty was the best player over four quarters. He's a freak. Bachar was my BOG.

By the way, I'm admittedly guilty of being a Bachar basher over the years. For most of his career I've had big question marks over his ball use. But I never questioned his character, heart, or team work, and I really think he has continually gotten better with age. He is not now the player he was, even three years ago. He's an absolute legend of the club now.

Well written Coburg.

Love these pieces that we as supporters write.

Its from the heart. A different perspective.

Just waiting on a journo to do a similar write and copy/paste.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Very good points and well made. I thought similarly in 2017, when Bachar was critical in the first half, when the game was in the balance. He seems to be able to turn it on in big games when it is in the balance.

I'm still in 2 minds about the 2017 Norm Smith, Dusty was magnificent, but Bachar's best period of play was at critical times.

I think in 2019 Dusty was a clear winner.

What you say about being there is so right. I didn't get to the game and have only seen it at Punt Rd on a scoreboard which is low res (just bought the DVD now so maybe tomorrow night). But I had great seats for the PF and being able to see the whole ground you could just see how well set up Geelong were and how they were closing off our avenues forward. When the Victory Pack comes out I can see how this looked on TV, but I doubt you could really see it without being there.

One day I hope to get to another GF, at least I was there in 1980 :D

DS

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
A proven big game and finals player.

When the game was a contest he was BOG.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
We are very fortunate that we have Bachar to represent our club on & off the field.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Had a great run of form approaching the middle of the year, then again late in the season and continuing through the finals.

Will be pushing for a medal (top 5) at the b&f for the first time since he started at Richmond in 2011.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Did anyone else chuckle when Tom, Bachar, Jack R etc were being interviewed at the J D M by Sarah ? (I think) & she referred to Bachar as being like Benjamin Button. Bachar looked puzzled & said to Tom "who???) :D:D:D

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Did anyone else chuckle when Tom, Bachar, Jack R etc were being interviewed at the J D M by Sarah ? (I think) & she referred to Bachar as being like Benjamin Button. Bachar looked puzzled & said to Tom "who???) :D:D:D
I was there & to me he said " what does that mean", but yeah regardless was very funny

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Has been acting as a mentor to Sydney Stack.
As if we needed any more reason to love him

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Saw Bachar early Tuesday morning with all his academy kids heading down Swan st.

Most respected player in the AFL I reckon

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wow, maybe a third Francis Bourke award should be given out this year.

Bacher just gets better the more you find out.

DS

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Another thing about the Bachar interview was that he talked about players to come in next year and specifically mentioned Naish.
Did it in a couple of interviews after the GF.

Made me stop and reconsider when Bachar picks out a kid for special mention.

May just have been in relation to Ellis leaving but still interesting when you consider the Pickett, Stack, Baker, Bolton or Ross alternatives.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
The video on the club website with the recollections is brilliant. How he talks about celebrating all the little things and the intimidation it creates on the opposition - what an amazing culture RFC have created and sustain. The focus on others is amazing. Would be soooo difficult to replicate

Reactions: 5 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The video on the club website with the recollections is brilliant. How he talks about celebrating all the little things and the intimidation it creates on the opposition - what an amazing culture RFC have created and sustain. The focus on others is amazing. Would be soooo difficult to replicate

Yeah. It is really amazing that they have created a culture where everyone parks their ego somewhere else.

But that is not the most amazing thing, it is one thing to create this culture but to have everyone buy in and accept it, is more amazing.

But even that is not the most amazing thing. Not only have they created this culture and obtained total buy-in, they have done this in an elite sporting environment. As a rule, e sportspeople do not park their egos anywhere. They take them everywhere they go. Ego is a huge part of what makes them elite.

Do Le Bron James and Usain Bolt park their egos? What about Tiger Woods and Rafael Nadal? Or Roger Federer and Serena Williams? Is Kobe Bryant humble?

That is what is truly amazing! And that is why other teams are struggling to copy our culture. Nathan Buckley and Chris Scott, for example, get the mechanics of how this works but have no understanding of what the moving parts are doing.

Bachar is a huge part of our culture. He drives it as much as Cotchin and Hardwick do.

Reactions: 8 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep great video. Celebrate every little win. Grimsey gave him a big well done after the tackle. We have so many leaders.