Bachar Houli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Another gift from Konrad Marshall

A remarkable read about a remarkable man. Good on you Konrad Marshall.
How fortunate are RFC (the Club and its followers) and the broader AFL community to have Bachar Houli in its fold!
What a wonderful human being is Bachar and an example to others about integrity and humility, and to living simply and to one's beliefs.
The story about his interactions with the Collingwood cheer squad was unknown to me. It's a huge lesson on dealing with fear of the unknown.
I found the article very moving indeed.
Go Bachar. Your legacy at Richmond will be an enduring one for sure.

PS Will be very much looking forward to reading Waleed Aly's biography on Bachar when it is released shortly.

Reactions: 16 users

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015
How fortunate are RFC (the Club and its followers) and the broader AFL community to have Bachar Houli in its fold!
What a wonderful human being is Bachar and an example to others about integrity and humility, and to living simply and to one's beliefs.
The story about his interactions with the Collingwood cheer squad was unknown to me. It's a huge lesson on dealing with fear of the unknown.

PS Will be very much looking forward to reading Waleed Aly's biography on Bachar when it is released shortly.

Like you @Bullarto Tiger I found it fascinating. .... went to sleep lastnight listening to the podcast version.
(attached )
Also hadn't heard of that stuff v the pies.
There appears to be so many layers at the new Richmond and it only furthers the notion that regardless of how we're painted by certain media types.... with axes to grind.... we're a bloody great organization!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

daniel30

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 14, 2010

That is a fantastic article.I loved Cotchs quote to.What can you say earth needs more Houlis in this world.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
There appears to be so many layers at the new Richmond and it only furthers the notion that regardless of how we're painted by certain media types.... with axes to grind.... we're a bloody great organization!

Spot on, AOC. Good comment.
I guess the different layers is what other clubs are trying to replicate with their own organisations.
And as we've witnessed to date, you can't just buy or implement such organisational changes on a whim.
Takes a lot of really hard work by a lot of individuals and then a huge and committed buy-in from all concerned.

DavidSSS

Tiger Champion
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm not religious but Bachar is just a wonderful human being - religions all have many different interpretations and he takes what is good from Islam and spreads it around. Those who use Islam to justify violence or who want to take over the world in its name need to listen to the many millions of Muslims who have the same view of Islam as Bachar.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
melbourne, victoria
Like you @Bullarto Tiger I found it fascinating. .... went to sleep lastnight listening to the podcast version.
(attached )
Also hadn't heard of that stuff v the pies.
Thank you aoc. That was great listening & insights into the man, the faith...

Also says a lot about our club.

Last edited:

shad

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2010
Interesting that Houli walked out on Essendon when he did. He must have know the place was on the nose way before they imploded.

sausage_meat69

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 28, 2005
I'm not religious but Bachar is just a wonderful human being - religions all have many different interpretations and he takes what is good from Islam and spreads it around. Those who use Islam to justify violence or who want to take over the world in its name need to listen to the many millions of Muslims who have the same view of Islam as Bachar.

DS
When I moved to Abu Dhabi I worked out fairly quickly that the Islam reported on in the media is vastly different to the majority. They def need more Bachars to give a more balanced view to the West. He's a great ambassador alright.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Interesting that Houli walked out on Essendon when he did. He must have know the place was on the nose way before they imploded.

Of course, we'll never know, but one can't help think that Bachar would have refused to be part of the injecting program instituted by Hird and Dank.
Bachar is his own man and no puppet.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Interesting to reflect on that point. Since the 80's essendon prided itself on being a special club, family values, progressive. I remember when they drafted houli it was seen as a perfect fit. His departure was symbolic. It is amazing how far they have fallen.

However don't want to distract from bachar.

So much to be proud about our club.

And bachar is an amazing Australian.

Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2016
I heard a Bachar Houli Foundation ad the other day and loved hearing something like “triple premiership playing Richmond footballer”

It sure beats whatever tag he would’ve got at Essendon...

Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2003
Argh zips.
Suitcases Chaffey.
Had the guns out like he was carrying 2 suitcases under each arm to accentuate the biceps.
Hence the nickname. :))
Also reminded me of Dipper one time referred to him as Mark Chafey. As in Chafe e.
Bloody classic.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Sorry if I have missed something but as far as I am aware, there has not been any actual announcement from the RFC or from Bachar Houli that he has signed a new contract. With the draft coming up today and the clubs having already lodged first (and possibly second) list lodgments with the AFL, it seems very strange that there is, apparently, no actual confirmation that he has signed a new contract. I would have thought that the club would be very keen to announce that a triple premiership hero (and with his foundation) is staying on for another year. I had hopes that Eggmolese-Smith could be a successor for Houli after Houli retires but obviously the club didn't see it that way.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Just finished reading his book - Faith, Family and Football - it’s a great read and he is a great Richmond man.

I am pretty confident that he will be at the tigers next year, maybe his last.

Reactions: 1 users