Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I always remember him for the day he played a mighty game in the Grand Final and helped us win a premiership and that live at the ground I expected him to win the Norm Smith Medal.

Nothing will ever overshadow that.

What was critical in the GF was that Houli was brilliant in the first half when the game was in the balance. I thought it was hard to pick between Houli and Dusty, either was a deserving winner.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
B

Bill James

I always remember him for the day he played a mighty game in the Grand Final and helped us win a premiership and that live at the ground I expected him to win the Norm Smith Medal.

I’ll always remember the day you accused Kmacs critics of not watching the game live at the ground and betting the coaches understood his impact on the game.......the week before they dropped him.

Nothing will ever remove your ‘live at the ground’ appraisals from that shadow. :)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nice spread about Bash in the Hun today. Little bit of feel good for a man who's doing plenty of quality work in the community.

Interesting little comments about his footy never being the prime driver in his life n keeping balanced perspective when the haters come, whereas some are struggling to cope with footy being their sole focus.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK

Fair comment, Bachar has had some truly great performances in Y & B. My comment was unfairly based on that absolute blue when he coughed up an unforced goal in front of the posts

B

Bill James

Just want to put it out there as someone people class as a Houli hater. He was very solid again today. More handballs than kicks but only one turnover and team high DE%. Made some tackles and had some score involvements. Would have had him in the top 5 today, but I was only watching on TV.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Just want to put it out there as someone people class as a Houli hater. He was very solid again today. More handballs than kicks but only one turnover and team high DE%. Made some tackles and had some score involvements. Would have had him in the top 5 today, but I was only watching on TV.

Bachar did good today.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012

I have written similarly, Big Richo. The GF 2017 was an awesome display from Bachar. Will never forget it and he was instrumental in laying the foundations to that supreme premiership victory.
I will always hail Bachar for that performance.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Richmond royalty. 200 games.Premiership star. Model citizen. Very highly regarded by those 'within the four walls'. Approaching the twilight of his career.

Please don't label him as "soft" or "picking when he goes". That is ignorant of the courage shown by players who are under pressure to gut run and make position for the sake of the team. The number of knocks AFL players absorb at high speed is incredible and they play injured nearly every week. That is courage.

I would invite his harshest critics on here to objectively watch a whole game focusing on the role he plays in the team.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Richmond royalty. 200 games.Premiership star. Model citizen. Very highly regarded by those 'within the four walls'. Approaching the twilight of his career.

Please don't label him as "soft" or "picking when he goes". That is ignorant of the courage shown by players who are under pressure to gut run and make position for the sake of the team. The number of knocks AFL players absorb at high speed is incredible and they play injured nearly every week. That is courage.

I would invite his harshest critics on here to objectively watch a whole game focusing on the role he plays in the team.

Don’t mention the word ‘royalty’
You’ll bring out the haters

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Don’t mention the word ‘royalty’
You’ll bring out the haters
I could say the same in the BEllis thread but both Brandon and Bachar can rightly say haters can hate but the fact is they are having bloody good seasons, got to be quite embarrassing for the PRE haters that will never admit it .

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger68

Grow boys, grow!
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney
I am sure I would be classified as a Houli hater, were in fact I hate the way he has been allowed to play and I like the person.

Yesterday Houli played his best game for the season and I feel sure some of the things that I 'hate' in his game have been addressed by the coaching staff.

To be specific:

I hate the way he holds play up and then bombs long to a contest. I hate the way he plays on out of the goal square bounces immediately after he steps out of the square to get a stat, thereby taking his eye off the ball and then bombs to contest often resulting in the ball coming back. I hate that he does not run his full measure and then decide to bounce only when necessary. I hate the way he fumbles when there is any semblance of frontal pressure. He is capable of backing into a pack to take a mark but he picks and chooses when to do so. I hate that people rate his game on statistics and not impact on the game.These are things in his game that I hate, I am not a Houli hater.

Yesterday, it was clear that his strategy out of the kickouts was different - ie a priority to find a target. He has been spoken to, no doubt. Excellent!!! Furthermore, he got zero stats for kickouts yesterday - also an excellent sign of change in his game. (In Dreamtime Houli had 12 stats from kickouts and this does not include his unnesarry bounces. This would been fine but the results from his kickoputs were poor).

Yesterday Houli was a very good player and he valued where his possessions went and looked to hit targets rather than bomb away for the metres gained statistics. He still needs to address his unnecessary bounces, but whilst the club lauds him for run and carry on the back of bounce numbers then that won't be changing.

Yesterday Houli was down on his usual disposal number but up in my rating of his game. Keep putting the team first and maybe the 'haters' won't hate.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Have mostly backed Houli but am not averse to criticising him when warranted. Unobtrusive but very solid yesterday. Has rebounded strongly after falling out of the top 20 in last year's b&f.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I am sure I would be classified as a Houli hater, were in fact I hate the way he has been allowed to play and I like the person.

Yesterday Houli played his best game for the season and I feel sure some of the things that I 'hate' in his game have been addressed by the coaching staff.

To be specific:

I hate the way he holds play up and then bombs long to a contest. I hate the way he plays on out of the goal square bounces immediately after he steps out of the square to get a stat, thereby taking his eye off the ball and then bombs to contest often resulting in the ball coming back. I hate that he does not run his full measure and then decide to bounce only when necessary. I hate the way he fumbles when there is any semblance of frontal pressure. He is capable of backing into a pack to take a mark but he picks and chooses when to do so. I hate that people rate his game on statistics and not impact on the game.These are things in his game that I hate, I am not a Houli hater.

Yesterday, it was clear that his strategy out of the kickouts was different - ie a priority to find a target. He has been spoken to, no doubt. Excellent!!! Furthermore, he got zero stats for kickouts yesterday - also an excellent sign of change in his game. (In Dreamtime Houli had 12 stats from kickouts and this does not include his unnesarry bounces. This would been fine but the results from his kickoputs were poor).

Yesterday Houli was a very good player and he valued where his possessions went and looked to hit targets rather than bomb away for the metres gained statistics. He still needs to address his unnecessary bounces, but whilst the club lauds him for run and carry on the back of bounce numbers then that won't be changing.

Yesterday Houli was down on his usual disposal number but up in my rating of his game. Keep putting the team first and maybe the 'haters' won't hate.

No doubt about it.
You’re a thorough bred Houli hater.
Hating such trivial things will give you cancer.
Let it go

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

To be specific:

On kick-ins Houli looks for a short target first, either by kick or sometimes by handball. Sometimes he runs out to draw a player for the handball or a short pass. If shorter targets are high risk he'll run out the square and kick long to a contest - just like every other player doing kick-ins in the league.

I don't think either he or the club give two hoots about how many times he bounces the ball in a game.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Houli kicked out 5 times yesterday. On 4 of those occasions he did NOT leave the square and hit short targets. On 1 occasion he played on bounced after 10 metres and hit a target 60 metres out on the wing. His kick outs were flawless. It appears to me they've been working on it. BAker had 1 kickout that was also a short pass. Stack, Short and Vlastuin all had 1 each and were long kicks. Only Stack hit a target, Vlastuin's skewed and was cut off by opponent initially and SHort's was to a one on one contest.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Houli kicked out 5 times yesterday. On 4 of those occasions he did NOT leave the square and hit short targets. On 1 occasion he played on bounced after 10 metres and hit a target 60 metres out on the wing. His kick outs were flawless. It appears to me they've been working on it. BAker had 1 kickout that was also a short pass. Stack, Short and Vlastuin all had 1 each and were long kicks. Only Stack hit a target, Vlastuin's skewed and was cut off by opponent initially and SHort's was to a one on one contest.

Whether a kick-in goes short or long is more about what your team-mates are doing to make leads and space for you to kick to. It's also a function of how much pressure the opposition wants to put on your players in the back-half during kick-ins.

Tiger68

Grow boys, grow!
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney
No doubt about it.
You’re a thorough bred Houli hater.
Hating such trivial things will give you cancer.
Let it go

Predictably, the lazy play the man approach has been adopted.

'Hate' was introduced within my post within quotations. It's not my word, it is the word people like you have introduced to describe people like me with a counter perspective to yours.

Houli played well yesterday, 'No doubt about it'

Houli is given the privilege of being the designated kicker and play maker off half back. It is fair enough that Houli is held to account for his kicking and creative play making. It's a critical role and far from trivial.

Tell me you didn't notice a change in the way he kicked the ball yesterday ? I noticed a greater focus on finding a target rather than kicking long to a contest. A ruckman can slow things up and then kick long down the line to a contest.